New 5208 NVR not playing back videos

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New NVR and cameras from andy, been slowly configuring this thing, learning and also installing a ubiquiti network, neither have owners manuals that are current with the firmware, anyways. When i log into the NVR 4.0 GUI and click on playback, I can see the IVS events logged with different colors on the bar at the bottom, when i click on any of them, all i get is a spinning circle and can't see anything. I've tried IE, also firefox and nothing. When I try to configure the camera settings, brightness, contrast, or set the IVS zones it does the same thing. Any ideas what i'm missing?

playback.jpg

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no live view either, and the image doesnt show when you try to draw your tripwire or set your motion zones, I only have 4 cameras plugged in out of 8 ports. this is supposed to be a good NVR with 320mbps bandwidth.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow That is different, To Be clear, your pictures are from a monitor hooked up direct to the NVR ? Are you recording the sub stream also? On the right of your cam names is a "M" drop that down to 'S" and see if it plays just for the heck of it. If it does let us know. Are you using h.265 for encoding on your cams? Have you tried to view it through smartPss? The more Info the better.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi chris, i'm logging into the NVR 4.0 web interface from my pc. in there, if i try to do any camera config or playback there's no video. when i log into the camera gui vial the blue internet explorer "e", i can access more camera features not found in the nvr gui, but the image is still missing. andy told me to hook a monitor up to the HDMI port but that's not practical, the NVR is in the equipment closet and i'm in an office. also, the mouse wouldnt reach ;) i'm using smartPSS as a live view monitor in main stream mode and it works flawless. i do not have sub stream enabled, but when i enable it, i can toggle between sub and main in smartPSS and it works fine, but inside the NVR and camera GUI there's still no live video, main or sub. I tried h265 and that makes my laptop fan run faster with more cpu draw but still acceptable. for grins, this is a late model alienware i7, gigabit network, switches, cat6 ethernet, yadda yadda, i've tried IE, firefox, chrome, etc still no live view, and yes i did a factory reset of the NVR and still no live view. in fact, i shut it down, and rebooted with only 1 camera, i went to the nvr to playback the 2 IVS markers i have and when i click on them, all i get is a spinning wheel, no video, no playback.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
even in cam config, anywhere there's a video screen doesn't display any video in the nvr and the camera GUI.

config.jpg

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just got this, i'll give it a shot tomorrow, thx!

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i just peeked in the program files folder (both) and i dont have that folder in there at all.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
ok i just peeked in the program files folder (both) and i dont have that folder in there at all.
OK You May Not, The newer NVR's may not have that folder let alone use those plugins anymore Not sure because I do not have that version, however a few things you might check for.

Make sure under your user account you have all features checked, better said full admin rights, also check what your video resolution is in the NVR output, try reducing it down to a lower resolution and see what happens, I know it works with SmartPss but sometimes if your output is set too high, you might not be able too see video, its a long shot but worth looking in too. I assume you are using windows 10 since you said you tried the edge browser, Do you have another computer you can try it on ? That would really tell the story.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK You May Not, The newer NVR's may not have that folder let alone use those plugins anymore Not sure because I do not have that version, however a few things you might check for.

Make sure under your user account you have all features checked, better said full admin rights, also check what your video resolution is in the NVR output, try reducing it down to a lower resolution and see what happens, I know it works with SmartPss but sometimes if your output is set too high, you might not be able too see video, its a long shot but worth looking in too. I assume you are using windows 10 since you said you tried the edge browser, Do you have another computer you can try it on ? That would really tell the story.
All admin rights are checked, ahem is already reduced resolution, yes to win10, no to another computer. No plug ins that I'm aware of. I've been cursed with these cameras, and nvr. The nvr stays on and records 24/7 but when I turn on my computer and open smartPSS and goto live view sometimes it says "failed to open" or login timeout. Then when I goto the camera registration page some of the cameras are red and offline. When I disconnect, wait 10 seconds and reconnect, sometimes they will come back, and sometimes they knock others off-line. Yesterday I had to disconnect ALL cameras, reboot, and plug each camera in one by one and wait 3 mins for each one to auto configure. I don't believe IP cams should be this much of a pain.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
More Info you provided makes me believe you have network issues, there should not be that much lag, are you using a poe switch or is this a poe NVR ?
What other devices are on your network ? Failed to open and a timeout is network lag.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR is a 5208-8P-4ks2e (PoE) , ubiquiti network, everything is cat6 ethernet, some wifi like thermostat, water heater, garage door opener, etc.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Well If you think its the NVR, Grab a laptop and hook it up direct to the management port on the NVR, That will bypass all routers, switches and other devices on your network, use a Good patch cable, see what happens, just make sure your laptop has a static IP in the same subnet as the NVR, that will tell you the story, If things are good doing it that way, that you have network issues and have to figure it out. Its really hard to diagnose without doing it this way, one bad network cable can cause problems on your network.
Did you do your own wiring ?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'll give that a shot tomorrow, i did some of the wiring, terminating, testing, etc. i changed my patch cables tonight, mix of 5e and cat6.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well If you think its the NVR, Grab a laptop and hook it up direct to the management port on the NVR, That will bypass all routers, switches and other devices on your network, use a Good patch cable, see what happens, just make sure your laptop has a static IP in the same subnet as the NVR, that will tell you the story, If things are good doing it that way, that you have network issues and have to figure it out. Its really hard to diagnose without doing it this way, one bad network cable can cause problems on your network.
Did you do your own wiring ?
i assume this is the 1st port of the bank of 8 poe ports? i dont want to fry my laptop.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is impossible for a correctly running poe port to fry your laptop. The power is negotiated before power is applied.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i thought so, but figured i'd error on the side of caution. when i disconnected a single ip camera and then plugged it back it, it bumped another camera offline, when i disconnected that, another camera went offline. when this happens, it literally takes a solid hour, to reboot the nvr with no cameras attached, and plug each camera in, wait 5 minutes, then plug another camera in. this is absurd, are all NVR's like this?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Use the management pory
i assume this is the 1st port of the bank of 8 poe ports? i dont want to fry my laptop.
No, you have a bank of 8 for your cams, you should have another one by itself , that is the management port that is the one you should be using, that one should be the one that lets you connect to your home network.

Captu1re.JPG

Last edited:

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
see, andy said plug it into port 1. i'll bypass the gigabit switch and try it direct. i've rebooted this nvr 10 times, i have 3 cameras offline. when i disconnect, and reconnect, sometimes that cam will show green but knocks another offline.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
something of interest, out of all the cameras, there's 1 that is a US part number that came from B&H photo, that camera boots EVERY time without fail. not sure if these two issues are related somehow.