Need help with TFTP

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This machine's password has been forgotten. Don't wanna go through all the hassle of contacting the manufacturer to reset it. I was trying to TFTP to force it with a fresh start. But it kept giving me the 'fail to open file' msg. Pls see attachment.

1. I had followed the correct procedure for TFTP, because I had successfully tftped an older firmware machine, and several other of my cameras already.

2. I believe I had the correct digicap.dav file for this model, because I had successfully updated the same model machine through the regular 'usb' method.

3.The machine's model is ds-7608NI-E2/8P, I downloaded the newest firmware from the Europe Hikvision portal.

Any experience, suggestions will be really appreciated.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The "econt_Vision-AV2000' message isn't a real error - it's just some left-over code in the firmware that pokes the Hikvsion tftp server.
It can safely be ignored, it's not anything that needs fixing.
I would get it too if I left the tftp server running and rebooted the NVR.

But the real question is - why is your NVR not using the tftp server?
It's not obvious - your IP address looks OK, and the NVR does touch the tftp server.
Is digicap.dav definitely in the same folder as tftpserve.exe?
What firmware is installed on the NVR, and approximately how old is it? (bootloaders are being modified by Hikvision to limit what they usefully do).
Are you using Windows 10, and is the PC wired, no WiFi?

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

1. the digicap.dav is in the same folder as the tftp server.
2. the firmware installed in the machine is 3.4.0.
3. I am using windows 7, the pc and the nvr both were hooked to the same router, which has a 192.0.0.1 address, and I configured it to dhcp out an unique 192.0.0.64 address ONLY.

This machine is a pretty new one, I have the same model which I upgraded to 3.4.2 version, now they even offer pattern login, the same idea as an android phone. I am quite sure that I had done everything right in tftp. I went through all these efforts, just because I hate to contact the manufacturer to help me out for 'forgot password'. This is my property now, and I want full control on it.

QUOTE: (bootloaders are being modified by Hikvision to limit what they usefully do).

This is what I suspected, Hikvision has modified sth to make life not so easy for hackers and good decent people as well.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
and I configured it to dhcp out an unique 192.0.0.64 address ONLY
You don't need to do this - though I can't think why it would be a problem, but it is another variable. Unless something else on the network has picked up that address, that the NVR must use for the tftp updater.
The bootloader does not use DHCP when setting up to probe for the tftp server.
And you have presumably put a fixed IP address on the PC as it's showing the correct address in your screenshot.

This is what I suspected, Hikvision has modified sth to make life not so easy for hackers and good decent people as well.
I've wondered about this when there have been posts where people have had to resort to a serial console connection to to the tftp updates that should have worked OK as previously.