Need help with ReoLink Cameras and new Blue Iris Upate - Low FPS

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yikes, 30 fps is a bit much. I find 10 fps is more than enough.

Reaction score
What fps are you getting at night?
I am getting crap FPS at night. 4...5. It is better in day, but still not 30fps when I have the cameras set that high. I have them turned down to 10 now and I float around there during the day.

Video is also quite.... All the stills look sharp but motion is blurry as can be, to the point of rendering the cameras near useless for security purposes. Almost like a ghosting effect you can get in PC gaming.

CPU use is 10-15%, RAM nowhere near high. Single HIKVISION camera i have in my system exhibits none of the issues my 410 and 422 cameras exhibit. They are all on latest firmware, and are parred down to only* 1080P rather than their full resolution.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please use the search function as these instructions have been posted several times.

Cameras' Interface:
1. Make sure the Reolinks are using the most recent firmware released a couple months ago.
2. Turn off 3D-NR.

Blue Iris:
1. Uncheck RTSP/stream timecode in each camera's video settings.
2. Raise the buffer to 20MB in each camera's video settings.

These used to be necessary, but I haven't needed to use them since the most recent firmware release, but including just in case:
1. Set Intel hardware acceleration to "No" in the global settings.
2. Make sure the Reolinks are set to use "Baseline" in the H.264 profile setting.

I run mine at full 4mp, 10fps, and a bit rate of 4096. Why are you running 30fps anyways as that's just a waste of bandwidth and storage IMO.

Reaction score
Please use the search function as these instructions have been posted several times.

Cameras' Interface:
1. Make sure the Reolinks are using the most recent firmware released a couple months ago.
2. Turn off 3D-NR.

Blue Iris:
1. Uncheck RTSP/stream timecode in each camera's video settings.
2. Raise the buffer to 20MB in each camera's video settings.

These used to be necessary, but I haven't needed to use them since the most recent firmware release, but including just in case:
1. Set Intel hardware acceleration to "No" in the global settings.
2. Make sure the Reolinks are set to use "Baseline" in the H.264 profile setting.

I run mine at full 4mp, 10fps, and a bit rate of 4096. Why are you running 30fps anyways as that's just a waste of bandwidth and storage IMO.
Thanks for the reply! I actually already adhered to the above recommendations. Also, I do run at 10fps, but I do/have tested at 30 to see if the camera is capable of what it claims. Still have crap night time quality, IMO. Quite good, and usable during the day, but borderline useless at night. Also still get disconnects/timeouts in BI, yet still perfectly visible in the Reolink Android app and/or their Windows client. It is unfortunate, given the competitive price of the cameras. My old Foscams(which got me into the home surveillance hobby) never give me disconnects or FPS issues. Unfortunate the Reolinks do.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running these over wireless or hardwire? Try changing your bitrate to 4096 and see if that makes a difference. Mine work perfectly, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you running these over wireless or hardwire? Try changing your bitrate to 4096 and see if that makes a difference. Mine work perfectly, but maybe I'm just lucky.
4096 certainly is working better, however the video quality is still abysmal, imo. I should clarify, movement in video has abysmal quality. Stills are quite gorgeous.

As for the wiring, i have it all wired to cat5e. I made all of the runs myself, and tested the lines with a laptop for throughput. All tested capable at 1gig at the time of install.

Thanks for the suggestion about bitrate.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seems like this forum has tons of reolink users, I don't understand why o_O

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get Dahua for a similar price these days; they're the best bet right now for folks just getting started IMO.

I got my Reolinks on sale and thought what the heck. Haven't seen the need to replace them as they work fine, but just a matter of time before 10mp cameras are selling for $100 so upgrading them and my Hik is inevitable.

Reaction score
You can get Dahua for a similar price these days; they're the best bet right now for folks just getting started IMO.

I got my Reolinks on sale and thought what the heck. Haven't seen the need to replace them as they work fine, but just a matter of time before 10mp cameras are selling for $100 so upgrading them and my Hik is inevitable.
Which Dahua are priced equivalent to the Reolinks(~$75 shipped) and perform better, if you dont mind me asking. I am looking to grab a Starlight or two for a couple of critical and quite dark areas, but have other areas that dont necessitate the extreme low light performance and would love to save the ~100 bucks a cam..

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are some posts in the IP Camera section about suppliers. I've seen quite a few Dahuas on Aliexpress selling for under $100 like the 4421 bullet and others.