Need help understanding IP setup on DS-7616NI-I2/16P

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I have 7 brand new DS-2CD1341-I cameras connecting to a new NVR DS-7616NI-I2/16P.

However I have a slightly unusual network config in that two of the cameras will not be directly connected to the NVR. I have a pair of UBNT AP's set up bridged, thus the path of traffic for two cameras will be:

DS-7616NI-I2/16P PoE Port
to
Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 AP (bridged)
~200m distance wireless link
Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 Client (bridged)
to
TP-LINK 4 port PoE (unmanaged) switch
to
2x DS-2CD1341

The cameras were working fine in plug and play mode when attached directly to the NVR. Since changing the password on each camera and setting network on cameras to DHCP, they no longer connect to the NVR. I believe this is because the admin password on the cameras differs to the NVR.

I attempted to change the camera config on D01 from plug'n'play to manual, but get confused on the IP. I had presumed that the cameras would get an IP from my networks DHCP server (eg; IP passthru) however it appears the NVR gets a DHCP address and then uses some other semi-manual way of assigning addresses to hardware attached to any of its 16 PoE ports, does this sound correct? I cannot find any settings pertaining to the NVR's PoE ports.

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
also; do these Hik NVR's allow adding cameras from "outside" its own network of PoE ports?

eg: can I attach a Hik IPCam to an existing network, add the NVR and then add the existing camera to the NVR, traffic from the camera would go thru the NVR's LAN port rather than one of its dedicated PoE ports?

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However I have a slightly unusual network config in that two of the cameras will not be directly connected to the NVR
If I understand your setup correctly - you have 2 (perhaps, I'm not sure) LAN-connected cameras that are using the same IP address range as the LAN interface as the NVR.
But it looks like your diagram shows the radio link is from an NVR PoE port to a PoE switch.
That would only work for a single camera - and only if the radio link appears as 'a bump in the cable' ie does not require connected clients to be on its IP address range. Is that how 'bridged' works? Sorry - I'm unfamiliar with those radio links.

You need to extend your LAN to the remote PoE switch - not the NVR PoE port.
also; do these Hik NVR's allow adding cameras from "outside" its own network of PoE ports?
Yes, they do.
With a 16 channel NVR with 16 PoE ports, you will find that you cannot 'Add' or 'Delete' the existing pre-defined ports.
But to use one port to connect to a LAN-connected camera, you can pick one of the existing channels, change mode from Plug&Play to Manual, and change the IP address to match that of the LAN-connected camera you wish to add.
It's ideal to fix the IP address of the LAN-connected camera, either by a DHCP reservation, or, better, to a static IP address.
This can conveniently be done using SADP. Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you see the cameras on the local network using SADP? A link to the tool can be found here.
The cameras should connect through your LAN to the LAN port on your NVR, unless the camera is directly connected, you shouldn't have a cable in the POE port for the camera.

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From the LAN side of the NVR I cannot see any cameras plugged into the PoE ports with SADP

Plugging a laptop into one of the PoE ports gives me no IP, the NVR seems to determine if the device connected is a camera and if its finds a HIK gives it a static IP.

The LAN's network range is 10.48.16-17.xxx wheras the cameras auto assign to 192.168.254.xxx thus it would appear that the NVR does some layer 2 stuff with the cameras rather than act as a midspan PoE injector.

adimw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, they do.
With a 16 channel NVR with 16 PoE ports, you will find that you cannot 'Add' or 'Delete' the existing pre-defined ports.
But to use one port to connect to a LAN-connected camera, you can pick one of the existing channels, change mode from Plug&Play to Manual, and change the IP address to match that of the LAN-connected camera you wish to add.
It's ideal to fix the IP address of the LAN-connected camera, either by a DHCP reservation, or, better, to a static IP address.
This can conveniently be done using SADP. Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
this is the fix to my issue, thank you so much.

revised diagram shows cameras not connected into PoE ports but instead the LAN side of the NVR (obviously there are other routers and switches involved but this is simplified)