NAS Storage Configuration Problem on 2T42WD-I8

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just purchased a new "H series" 2T42WD-I8 from Nelly's I have been unable to get the NAS storage configuration setup up properly. Nelly's has provided much assistance in getting the camera to provide an acceptable image, but they are unable to help regarding this NAS storage problem.

I have tried to configure the camera NAS storage to a WD 2TB My Cloud and also to a Toshiba USB external drive connected to my Netgear readyshare. (I have two Hikvision 2032s with firmware 5.3.0 that work great with the Netgear readyshare.) My 2T42WD-I8 came with firmware 5.3.3 and I have since upgraded to 5.3.6. My NAS storage problem is the same on both firmwares.

When I configure the NAS storage on the camera everything goes fine including the status changing from "uninitialized" to "normal" after running the "Format" on the NAS storage page. I can even verify that it is working by checking the camera log. There will initially be several entries in the camera log file. Then when I go to check the camera log file again it will be empty. When I go back to the NAS storage management page, I find the status has changed from "normal" to "uninitialized." I have repeated this several times on both the readyshare and the WD My Cloud. The "normal" status will only last for a couple of minutes at the most.

I was hoping the firmware upgrade to 5.3.6 would correct the problem, but it didn't. Should I consider downgrading to firmware 5.3.0, since that it what the 2032s have?

Any help would be appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like a topic that's been covered a lot on this forum - the 'maximum volume size' of NAS storage that Hikvision cameras will manage.
The threshold is firmware-dependant, and for firmware around 5.2.3 was just over 200GB.
For later firmware such as 5.3.x there have been posts where over 500GB has worked OK.

I don't believe the WD MyCloud has the ability to define the size of the share volume, or to enforce user quotas if you are offering a CIFS/SMB share.
What was the share volume size that worked OK on your NetGear ReadyShare, and was if NFS or CIFS/SMB with user quotas?
How big was your external USB drive?
How easy would it be for you to partition the USB drive as an experiment to determine the maximum volume size that would work OK?

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What was the share volume size that worked OK on your NetGear ReadyShare, and was if NFS or CIFS/SMB with user quotas?
How big was your external USB drive?
How easy would it be for you to partition the USB drive as an experiment to determine the maximum volume size that would work OK?
Thanks alastair. I have been doing a bit of studying. I am trying to configure NAS storage on the 2T42WD-I8 camera for a CIFS/SMB share. That's how the two working 2032 cams are configured. As near as I can tell, the share volume size is not something I can define on the NetGear ReadyShare or on the WD 2TB My Cloud. The external Toshiba drive connected to the NetGear ReadyShare is a 1TB. I am not sure I know how to partition the USB drive. At this point, I am thinking I may need to invest in a better NAS storage device. I figure that my problem is somehow related to the inability to define a share volume size.

I am attaching screenshots of the NAS storage configuration page for each of the cameras. The screenshot of Cam3 was taken immediately after the format completed. The status went to unitialized soon after the screenshot.

Cam3NAS.gifCam2NAS.gifCam1NAS.gif

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Dumb question for which apologies - you are using per-camera shares? ie one share for each camera.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dumb question for which apologies - you are using per-camera shares? ie one share for each camera.
That is true. I have created a share for each camera. The share setup window looks like this:
NetgearShareSetup.gif

The summary of the shares looks like this:
NetgearShares.gif

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well those settings certainly look OK.
And they do work, as you are able, albeit not for long, to 'format' the shares.
It's certainly the same symptoms as has been seen when the volume size is higher that the camera firmware is designed to manage.