My IP cam kung fu is weak :(

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been running 4 of andy's 5231 varifocal turrets with blue iris and SD cards at home for the past month or so and things are working great, I even have the iphone app working....

but..

I decided to take one of the cameras to my shop across town (no internet) to run stand alone with the SD card recording for now, I mounted it and plugged some AC to the pigtail, I even brought an old wireless router so I could log into the camera directly and read/program it.

but I cant, I suck.

I've been doing some searching but really just wasting alot of time, can someone point me in the right direction to log into the cam? I know its not the camera setup it has proven itself, and my router has the same settings as home so I'm not sure what else to read or do (aside from getting another PC and loading smartPSS or something just for the 1 camera)

Can I plug it directly into my laptop's ethernet port perhaps? I'm trying to get some more ideas for when I head back there tomorrow..

steve

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I mounted it and plugged some AC to the pigtail,
Presumably you don't really mean that - was it a 12V DC power supply?

can someone point me in the right direction to log into the cam?
I'd speculate that the IP address of the PC you are trying to connect from is not in the same range as the IP address that the camera is set to.
What is the IP address of the camera?
What was the IP address of the PC in the shop?
Are you able to change this such that it's in the same range as the IP address of the camera?

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Presumably you don't really mean that - was it a 12V DC power supply?

Yes it is 12 volts lol :)

I'd speculate that the IP address of the PC you are trying to connect from is not in the same range as the IP address that the camera is set to.
What is the IP address of the camera?
What was the IP address of the PC in the shop?
Are you able to change this such that it's in the same range as the IP address of the camera?
Well I used the spare wireless router that was in the same rand of 192.168.2.0 which I took from home so logging onto that wirelessly should have put us on the right network I was assuming :(

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
alastairstevenson asks a great question.

If you really powered the cam w/ 12V AC, you may have caused problems. The cam needs 12V DC.

Yes, you can plug the cam into a laptop. Since the laptop won't provide POE power to the cam, you'll need to provide 12V DC.

Good luck!

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I’ve had the cameras powered up before without POE so I have a tested setup for that, just not used to logging in without being on a local network and no internet or dhcp router or anything. Maybe I will bring the Dahua confit software with me tomorrow it might help me improve my ipcam “chi”

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I’ve had the cameras powered up before without POE so I have a tested setup for that, just not used to logging in without being on a local network and no internet or dhcp router or anything. Maybe I will bring the Dahua confit software with me tomorrow it might help me improve my ipcam “chi”
Be sure you have a Static IP assigned in the camera. Then the router needs to be in the same ip range.

Read this: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs