Multiple questions on weather proofing connections, air gap, mounting, protection for garage rack UPS and PSU

BlueToast

n3wb
Reaction score
  1. I am looking for suggestions on weather proofing the connection of an RJ59 Siamese cable to an HD-TVI camera that is mounted outdoors. Specifically, I am wanting to know how you would go about doing this and what hardware you would use. Reliability through changing seasons and weather is definitely a must (I have learned from experience, aww, camera video feeds keep going out).

2. Do you have any recommendations on how to get the video feed of multiple HD-TVI cameras on one building over an air gap to the other building? The distance between the buildings is less than 300 feet and there is pavement that prevents us from doing underground cabling.

3. In further extension of question #2, the building in particular is a workshop garage for vehicle repairs. The need is to install a wall rack with CCTV power supply and UPS battery backup. What is the best way to do this factoring in cold winters (below freezing) and hot summers (upwards of 38 Celsius / 100 Fahrenheit), particularly in protecting the equipment from overheating and the elements?

4. In general, how do you recommend installing [bullet] cameras outdoors? In particular, do you install bullet cameras directly to a surface on the building, or do you install the bullet camera to some sort of weather proof junction box? What equipment do you use? I am hoping for some photos of examples and/or product links that I can order online.

5. What is an ideal mounting height for outdoor cameras where a ladder is required to tamper with the camera but not so high that faces cannot be identified?

6. If you are running a cable through a sheet metal wall, what do you use to prevent the drilled hole from cutting the cable and how do you weather seal the hole after running the cable through? What equipment do you use?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
  1. I am looking for suggestions on weather proofing the connection of an RJ59 Siamese cable to an HD-TVI camera that is mounted outdoors. Specifically, I am wanting to know how you would go about doing this and what hardware you would use. Reliability through changing seasons and weather is definitely a must (I have learned from experience, aww, camera video feeds keep going out).

2. Do you have any recommendations on how to get the video feed of multiple HD-TVI cameras on one building over an air gap to the other building? The distance between the buildings is less than 300 feet and there is pavement that prevents us from doing underground cabling.

3. In further extension of question #2, the building in particular is a workshop garage for vehicle repairs. The need is to install a wall rack with CCTV power supply and UPS battery backup. What is the best way to do this factoring in cold winters (below freezing) and hot summers (upwards of 38 Celsius / 100 Fahrenheit), particularly in protecting the equipment from overheating and the elements?

4. In general, how do you recommend installing [bullet] cameras outdoors? In particular, do you install bullet cameras directly to a surface on the building, or do you install the bullet camera to some sort of weather proof junction box? What equipment do you use? I am hoping for some photos of examples and/or product links that I can order online.

5. What is an ideal mounting height for outdoor cameras where a ladder is required to tamper with the camera but not so high that faces cannot be identified?

6. If you are running a cable through a sheet metal wall, what do you use to prevent the drilled hole from cutting the cable and how do you weather seal the hole after running the cable through? What equipment do you use?
1. Put it inside an outdoor electrical box. I use these boxes, drill a hole in the back, pass the cables though the back then seal that hole with silicone. Also, seal the top and sides of the box between the box and exterior mounting surface. Then mount the camera to the lid, the cable drops down and goes in the bottom of the box - this also creates a needed drip loop to assure no water follows the line back into the box.

2. Look up Ubiquiti Point to Point solutions. They have several options - check out the nano stations/bridge, very reliable.

3. You need to look at all hardware that is being placed into that rack. You may have to have some type of conditioned space in the garage somewhere for this equipment. You won't see large temp swings daily and most of that equipment can handle the majority of the temps throughout the year. However, if you have numerous days in a row in the 100's you do run the risk of hard drive issues etc.

4. every situation is different. I prefer surface mount - it's cleaner and protects the cable. However, see #1 as well for secondary option.

5. you want Face ID, you place it at face height. People worry about people screwing with cameras to much - the majority of the time people don't mess with them, and even if they do, they normally have already looked directly at them prior to screwing with them.

6. Rubber grommets are great - you should always have a set of these. However, if you drill the hole, pass cable though, and then silicon it with the cable in the center you will most likely be okay assuming no one is pulling on it or yanking it though the hole. If you do want added protection or are worried people will pull additional slack though you need these. eBoot Rubber Grommet Assortment Kit Electrical Conductor Gasket Ring Set for Wire, Plug and Cable, 180 Pieces: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BlueToast

n3wb
Reaction score
2. Look up Ubiquiti Point to Point solutions. They have several options - check out the nano stations/bridge, very reliable.
Do these work for non-IP cameras / HD-TVI cameras that use RG59 Siamese cabling?

And, I really appreciate you for taking the time to write a detailed response. I'm humbled by your kindness, and learn from you.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do these work for non-IP cameras / HD-TVI cameras that use RG59 Siamese cabling?

And, I really appreciate you for taking the time to write a detailed response. I'm humbled by your kindness, and learn from you.
Welcome @BlueToast

iirc those are for IP devices, so you'd have to search for a TVI solution. Hint - this is one reason why many of us prefer IP solutions and it gives us a lot of flexibility.

You may need to deploy a separate DVR in the other building and use IP tech to connect the 2 DVRs to your LAN.

Remember to check out the cliff notes, we have a lot of info there.. such as suggesting that you mount cameras 6-8 feet high for better results with getting ID images.

BlueToast

n3wb
Reaction score
You may need to deploy a separate DVR in the other building and use IP tech to connect the 2 DVRs to your LAN.
That's a very good idea! And yes, I have since come to realize how an IP solution would have worked better in our scenario (deployment was done 2 years ago). Especially now since Ubiquiti has a UniFi building-to-building bridge kit.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Ideally you want a network rack with fans if it's going to get quite hot. The cold should not be an issue unless the temperature drop is that substantial that there is a risk of condensation. Bullet cameras are not usually recommended due to spiders and their webs. As for ideal mounting height, you want no higher than 8 feet for facial recognition. If you're running cable through sheet metal, find an appropriate sized rubber grommet. You can use silicone caulk to seal around the hole.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
My apologies on the confusion. Due to your scenario I assumed you were putting a DVR in the other building as a stand alone system and you were simply trying to link that system back to the main building. That is what I would do if you are set in TVI, you will be able to access that system from the main network this way.

If you are trying to send individual feeds back you will have to use IP cameras tied back to a POE switch in the stand alone building and link that network back to the main house.

My apologies on not being clearer or understand the config.