Multiple feeds from NVR using ivms-4200 Windows

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys can help me with this. I got 2 Hikvision systems on the network (7608NI and 7616) connected. The 7608 has 8 cameras connected on the built-in PoE switch and the 7616 has 10 cameras (8 are connected to the built-in PoE) and 2 are connected on the local network with poe switch (192.168.x.x subnet). I got all the channels to show up and they work on the NVRs (both of them) but I wanted to stream certain cameras from both NVRs to 2 different TVs.

If I use a normal computer (ivms-4200 for windows) and connect to the NVR, would this causing any issues with streaming the same cameras twice? Would it have enough bandwidth and capacity to pull it? What I mean is that PC1 and PC2 might be pulling streams from the same NVR if I wanted to show the same camera (eg. front door, back yard, etc).

What I originally had setup was on the 7616 machine, I moved some of the cameras from the internal PoE switch to the local lan because the subnet was 192.168.254.x and reconfigured it with 192.168.x.x ip addresses, so that I can setup 2 x 7104 to pull the streams on some TVs. I had both units pulling streams from the same cameras (not all of them just a couple cross streamed) but after a while, the streams would just freeze and the screen would either say NO RESOURCE on the individual channel. I tried to type in the direct internal IP address that was auto assigned through Hikvision Plug-and-Play and adding it to the 7104 that way but the stream would not show (just didn't connect). The NVR didn't route between the internal PoE subnet and the local LAN.

I never could figure out this problem. How do you guys stream the specific camera feeds to multiple TVs? I tried buying an android box from Amazon, installed iVMS-4500 via play store and loading it up that way but there is major delay for a couple of seconds on the feed when I tried it. I want to be able to show live feed with no delays because I need to monitor some cameras in real time.

Would installing the windows client solve this problem? I had a feeling that pulling multiple main-streams from the same camera is causing the feed to drop after a while due to crashing the processor on the camera or just over utilizing the bandwidth. I hope by connecting to the NVR and I can pull the streams that way, it would fix my problem. I am going to test it out this weekend but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this before I try it.

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There should be no great problem pulling multiple RTSP streams (ie no motion detection or other camera-specific features) from the NVRs as they have plenty of spare CPU cycles and encoder resources to support multiple streams.
Whether your NVRs support this may depend on the version of firmware. Given ONVIF support (firmware version dependant) on the NVR, the stream availability can be checked using the 'Receivers' page of 'ONVIF Device Manager'.
I'm away just now so I'm guessing a bit that the RTSP string is something like /Streaming/channels/401 for channel 4 etc.
I've posted on this topic before on this forum, but can't find them with search.
For many months now I've also been pulling 3 streams direct from PoE-connected cameras (2032, 2132, 2232) with no obvious stress.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There should be no great problem pulling multiple RTSP streams (ie no motion detection or other camera-specific features) from the NVRs as they have plenty of spare CPU cycles and encoder resources to support multiple streams.
Whether your NVRs support this may depend on the version of firmware. Given ONVIF support (firmware version dependant) on the NVR, the stream availability can be checked using the 'Receivers' page of 'ONVIF Device Manager'.
I'm away just now so I'm guessing a bit that the RTSP string is something like /Streaming/channels/401 for channel 4 etc.
I've posted on this topic before on this forum, but can't find them with search.
For many months now I've also been pulling 3 streams direct from PoE-connected cameras (2032, 2132, 2232) with no obvious stress.
If I pull the RTSP streams straight from the camera's feed, how do I incorporate it into the TVs? Should I use a PC to do it with iVMS-4200 or can I use the 7104 that I have to do it, since it's a smaller box to physically manage?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I pull the RTSP streams straight from the camera's feed
As you were describing some problems either accessing PoE-connected cameras (this can be done but not for this thread) or with resource issues with directly connected cameras I thought I'd draw attention to the stream sources that are likely to be available from the NVRs encoder.
Does the 7104 allow you to connect a channel as an RTSP stream? In which case you should be able to use it as the video source for the TVs.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll have to check that, since i've never done that before. I guess if it does, then I'm good! If it doesn't, can I do it via VLC maybe on a the PC?

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you were describing some problems either accessing PoE-connected cameras (this can be done but not for this thread) or with resource issues with directly connected cameras I thought I'd draw attention to the stream sources that are likely to be available from the NVRs encoder.
Does the 7104 allow you to connect a channel as an RTSP stream? In which case you should be able to use it as the video source for the TVs.
I managed to get the RTSP streams to show on the 7104. I tried to do 4 x Main streams on the 7104 but after 2, the other 2 channels just said "NO RESOURCE" with no picture. I ended up using the substreams to show on all 4 channels on the screen. Do you think the NVR (7104) just can't process all 4 at main streams?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have maxed out the NVR, looking at the specs it can only decode 2 streams at 1080p, or 4 streams at 720p.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have maxed out the NVR, looking at the specs it can only decode 2 streams at 1080p, or 4 streams at 720p.
Yes, I believe the NVR might be maxed out, I'll just have to reduce the quality of the stream to fit 4 channels via RTSP.