Motion wrongly detected across huge area

Reaction score
I'm trying to optimize my intrusion detection settings but my efforts are being derailed by false positives for motion detection. Have a look at the picture below:

False Positive.JPG

In this image, the large outer red box was motion detected when nothing was happening in my backyard (no clouds, no animals, etc.). The smaller red box is my intrusion detection area which was triggered by the larger red box of motion detection.

I have dynamic motion analysis on which is why the giant red box appears. I do not have motion detection enabled, just intrusion detection.

My settings for intrusion detection are as follows:
threshold = 0 s
sensitivity = 48%
percentage = 40

I've even gone so far as to change the settings to 1% sensitivity and 90% percentage and still get some of these major false readings. Of course, with those settings I no longer detect intrusion.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What model of camera is it?
That big red box is something I haven't seen for motion detection, it's usually a honeycomb-like trail of small green boxes around the area of movement for motion detection.
Can you post a video example of what you are seeing?

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm guessing some tree leaves moved. As the guy above me states the "honeycomb-like" boxes, usually red would allow you to select some of the area without having tree leaves in the motion(maybe an advanced mode is not on/off). And your positive nobody is walking past a window and your not catching the after shot, or an animal using the little door? Are you saying no clouds cause of shading transitions cause motion correct? Cause day lighting shift will cause motion.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I spent too much time last night trying to get the video to attach here, but ultimately just uploaded it to YouTube.

I'm using a DS-2CD2542FWD-IS w/ V5.3.8 build 151224 in my backyard.

Here are some clips of the recorded "intrusion" where you can see the crazy dynamic motion analysis results over what appears to be no crazy motion:

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of that is from changing sun light, the shade causes the movement.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
crazy dynamic motion analysis results over what appears to be no crazy motion:
Agree with @CodeGreen - there are big rapid changes in light and shade from both the tree shadows and especially the shadows from the trellis.
Remember that 'motion detection' isn't so much motion as short-duration changes in the image, which is what you're getting here.

Last edited by a moderator:

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happens when you increase your threshold to 1 second?

Reaction score
Great observation everyone! The brightness impact from cloud travel wasn't enough for me to notice the "motion", but appears to be enough to cause the motion alert to trigger. I'll experiment with a 1 second threshold and report back.