Motion Detection vs Intrusion Detection

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In regard to outdoor cameras, I have a few questions:
  1. Which is better, motion detection or intrusion detection?
  2. Should I have one or the other or both?
  3. If using both, is there a performance issue or trade-off that I should be aware of?
The reason I ask is because when it comes to outdoor cameras, motion detection gives too many false positives. It's not true motion detection as one would expect from PIR motion detectors. For example, I don't need an alert nor recording whenever the sun breaks out from under the clouds, or a shadow is cast from a bird flying overhead.

I have not played with intrusion detection as yet, but was hoping to get some feedback on its usefulness and reliability.

Thanks ...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should not be alerting or recording off either of em; you should be recording 24/7/365 and using real security sensors for notifications/alerts...

your grossly overestimating the reliability of video based motion detection and object recognition; especially outdoors in a dynamic environment that you have no control over.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns and @nayr for your responses. I fully understand what both of you are saying. But until I either install a PIR or "real security sensor", I have to rely on some form of software alert.

So, for right now it's either motion detection and/or intrusion detection.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
which ever one works better for you then I suppose; either way you have 2 ways to configure it: never miss anything legit and get inundated with false alarms, or detune it and miss most legit stuff and not have as many false alarms.

why do u need alerts so badly? one way or another I give it a few weeks before you train your self to ignore em entirely.

the moral of the story may help you out: https://www.amazon.com/Cried-Wolf-Rigby-Collection-Purple/dp/0763527971/

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've recently found the Tripwire and Intrusion detection on the latest Dahua stuff does work better than simple motion detection. I have it set in place of MD in a couple of areas and it's dramatically cut back on false alerts. Still not 100%, but I'm willing to accept the relative low number of false hits.

Completely agree with and have learned much from folks like nayr on this forum however that standard motion detection is just too limited to rely on. I do have a couple of select spots where, with the right sensitivity settings, MD works pretty darn good, such as the entry to my front door. However a good thunder storm or heavy wind/fog means I risk waking up to a couple of hundred email alerts from other locations :eek: And yeah strongly agree on 24/7 recording regardless.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I learned 2 years ago that I didn't want motion detection Email alerts for the reasons you stated (notification overload). However, I still have motion events recorded but turned off the Email option.

I am currently looking at whether intrusion detection would be better (record only) than environmentally induced motion.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why cant you record non-stop? HDD's are cheap.. I have over 3 weeks of retention and thats more than enough for most all residential installs.. unless you take month long vacations frequently.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Recording non-stop is not an issue for me. I have 6 terabytes of storage. I prefer 24/7 recording; however, in conjunction to 24/7 recording, I want to know when an event such as motion occurs. That way, I can quickly find and review them. For example, if someone was walking around and casing my property, I'd like to be able to go right to the clip to see who and what time it was recorded.

I haven't figured out how to do both 24/7 recording and tag an event. My HikVision DS-7608NI-I2/8P seems to only allow 24/7 recording or event recording, but not both. At this point I haven't seen where an event is marked in the continuous recording. Sending Email alerts is out of the question as we discussed earlier. It may be that I haven't set things in the NVR correctly.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that should be doable, I have my dahua nvr setup to do it and Ive seen people set it up on HIk's..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are some examples of the mentioned "real security sensors" and how are they installed and integrated with an average user's video cameras?
@nayr has a lot of cool homegrown code that mist of us cannot do.
Not trying to be crass...I honestly don't know and would like some examples of what hardware and how to integrate and trigger real security sensors with my cameras.

Independent PIR? would this be similar to the sensor that came with my motion lig'hts or some different functionality?
My security light's sensors dont trigger with sun or weather (fog and such) changes but do trigger with any movement; people or tree limbs when it blows.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are some examples of the mentioned "real security sensors" and how are they installed and integrated with an average user's video cameras?
@nayr has a lot of cool homegrown code that mist of us cannot do.
Not trying to be crass...I honestly don't know and would like some examples of what hardware and how to integrate and trigger real security sensors with my cameras.

Independent PIR? would this be similar to the sensor that came with my motion lig'hts or some different functionality?
My security light's sensors dont trigger with sun or weather (fog and such) changes but do trigger with any movement; people or tree limbs when it blows.
On another thread @Django said he uses SICK WL260-R270 and it works a charm