Motion Detection for a Dog

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have some animal leaving giant piles of poop in my yard. Is there any recommendation on motion detection for a dog? Ideally I'd like an alert generated if a dog or a dog sized object is detected.

I have IPC-T5442T-ZE on latest Blue Iris. Beginner to intermediate understanding of Blue Iris and no GPU for something like Deep Stack.

Running on i7-3770k old CPU.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is an old computer! It would probably be tough to get Deepstack to run on it, but need more details to know for sure.

How many cameras do you have and what is your CPU% utilization and have you done EVERY optimization in the wiki?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your CPU utilization is low, you may be able to run DeepStack on one camera. My Bi setup was running on that CPU until about 6 months ago. If you have at least 8 GB of ram, it may work.

First thing is to get motion detection working on either the camera or BI. Either one will work. you should be able to setup BI motion to work fairly well, except during rain/snow. You need motion alerts to trigger DeepStack anyways, get started on that. If you need help with setting up motion, let us know.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is an old computer! It would probably be tough to get Deepstack to run on it, but need more details to know for sure.

How many cameras do you have and what is your CPU% utilization and have you done EVERY optimization in the wiki?

Pretty sure I'm good on this. I have 18 cameras and my CPU is running around 11%.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your CPU utilization is low, you may be able to run DeepStack on one camera. My Bi setup was running on that CPU until about 6 months ago. If you have at least 8 GB of ram, it may work.

First thing is to get motion detection working on either the camera or BI. Either one will work. you should be able to setup BI motion to work fairly well, except during rain/snow. You need motion alerts to trigger DeepStack anyways, get started on that. If you need help with setting up motion, let us know.
32GB RAM so I can give it a try. Motion detection I'm no expert on. I see mine is set for:

• Min object size 550
  • Min contrast 40
  • Min duration 1.0 sec
  • Highlight -Do not highlight motion
  • Blackout - Do not blackout
  • Object detection on
  • Use zones and hot spot off
  • Algorithm - Edge vector
  • All other settings off

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome. I am going to use this stat and generation processor when I explain to others the importance of optimization. 18 cameras on a 3rd generation at 11% CPU is impressive.

So yeah, you probably have some headroom to run the cpu version of Deepstack on that one camera.

Simply download it from below and install it and enable it in Deepstack. Then refine your BI motion and settings to trigger and alert you on what you want!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
32GB RAM so I can give it a try. Motion detection I'm no expert on. I see mine is set for:

• Min object size 550
  • Min contrast 40
  • Min duration 1.0 sec
  • Highlight -Do not highlight motion
  • Blackout - Do not blackout
  • Object detection on
  • Use zones and hot spot off
  • Algorithm - Edge vector
  • All other settings off
Post a screenshot showing the block for the min object size - 550 means nothing without seeing the field of view and how large that is.

Once you turn on Deepstack you should probably drop min duration to a smaller number. Will probably want to try simple algorithm.

Turn off object detection - the moves X number of pixels and reset at a certain % is used to eliminate false triggers. You want Deepstack to run and have it be the cancel reason.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post a screenshot showing the block for the min object size - 550 means nothing without seeing the field of view and how large that is.

Once you turn on Deepstack you should probably drop min duration to a smaller number. Will probably want to try simple algorithm.

Turn off object detection - the moves X number of pixels and reset at a certain % is used to eliminate false triggers. You want Deepstack to run and have it be the cancel reason.
This what you mean? 1642876167911.png

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I see when I turn off object detection then it shows the whole screen blue like this 1642876223134.png

Neat :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, ok that seems like a reasonable size unless the dog is towards the edge of the screen image or is a small dog.

The larger blue box means if anything is larger than that on the screen, then the motion resets and doesn't count as a trigger - so if someone popped up with their whole face exceeding that block (like to disable the camera), it won't trigger. So eliminating that % reset fixes that. This is only used if mainly if headlight shine takes over the whole image and resets the motion.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, ok that seems like a reasonable size unless the dog is towards the edge of the screen image or is a small dog.

The larger blue box means if anything is larger than that on the screen, then the motion resets and doesn't count as a trigger - so if someone popped up with their whole face exceeding that block (like to disable the camera), it won't trigger. So eliminating that % reset fixes that. This is only used if mainly if headlight shine takes over the whole image and resets the motion.
Ok perfect. Yeah based on thethis is not a small dog

Got Deepstack installed and enabled on the one camera (default settings). Don't see "animal" in the list of defaults but I'll go read.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will be dog - yeah Deepstack is that good LOL. You can define a toothbrush and toilet as well in the event you are concerned someone would steal those LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
or any of these LOL:

person, bicycle, car, motorcycle, airplane,
bus, train, truck, boat, traffic light, fire hydrant, stop_sign,
parking meter, bench, bird, cat, dog, horse, sheep, cow, elephant,
bear, zebra, giraffe, backpack, umbrella, handbag, tie, suitcase,
frisbee, skis, snowboard, sports ball, kite, baseball bat, baseball glove,
skateboard, surfboard, tennis racket, bottle, wine glass, cup, fork,
knife, spoon, bowl, banana, apple, sandwich, orange, broccoli, carrot,
hot dog, pizza, donot, cake, chair, couch, potted plant, bed, dining table,
toilet, tv, laptop, mouse, remote, keyboard, cell phone, microwave,
oven, toaster, sink, refrigerator, book, clock, vase, scissors, teddy bear,
hair dryer, toothbrush.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
or any of these LOL:

person, bicycle, car, motorcycle, airplane,
bus, train, truck, boat, traffic light, fire hydrant, stop_sign,
parking meter, bench, bird, cat, dog, horse, sheep, cow, elephant,
bear, zebra, giraffe, backpack, umbrella, handbag, tie, suitcase,
frisbee, skis, snowboard, sports ball, kite, baseball bat, baseball glove,
skateboard, surfboard, tennis racket, bottle, wine glass, cup, fork,
knife, spoon, bowl, banana, apple, sandwich, orange, broccoli, carrot,
hot dog, pizza, donot, cake, chair, couch, potted plant, bed, dining table,
toilet, tv, laptop, mouse, remote, keyboard, cell phone, microwave,
oven, toaster, sink, refrigerator, book, clock, vase, scissors, teddy bear,
hair dryer, toothbrush.
Damn that's crazy

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will stay low CPU until the camera is triggered.

On the main BI AI page is an option to test Deepstack or confirm it is running. Select that and confirm it is running.