Most stable solution for wireless feed?

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to find out what is the most stable solution for transmitting my IP camera feed (6-8 cameras) onto my network for my NVR. I'm not sure that the camera has built in wifi, if that's even a stable solution. Plus I'd have to get power to it somehow anyway. Camera is supposed to go into parking lot. Not sure if network power line will reach out there. Trenching or hanging cables are not an option.
What are my options?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Do you have a budget? There are line of sight wireless bridges but they get expensive.

There is a guy on here who has set up ptz cameras on wireless for parking lots. Hopefully he will see this thread.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Budget mmm $500 for stable connectivity. Line of site? Yes but cameras will be spread out around the outside. Property is parking lot with building in the middle. Network closet is upstairs towards the middle.
What is the distance on the wireless bridges? Can I put up one per camera and one at a line of sight near network closet? (Like a 6:1 connectivity)
I also have to figure out a way to build up a weather resistant presentable junction box (if that's even what it's called) on each light pole where there will be a camera.

P.S. No PT only motorized lens for zoom.

Reaction score
If you have line of sight, they can go for miles. 500 for all or each camera?

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$500 for all. $1000 would be stretching it. It's not really THAT far, something more like 500 meter range would be ideal, and that's even plenty

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Picture that as one radio in the building connected to the router listening to a bunch of camera radios.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If trenching and hanging cables out there is not an option, how do you intend on powering such a camera? osmosis?

WiFi is for Webcams, Wires are for Security Cameras.. imho, if there really is no option to run a wire... then unfortunately, there really is no option to install a camera.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Kawboy12R wow! That is very detailed and simple! Thank you! Rep my friend ;)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure if one Picostation in the middle with a bunch of M2 Nanostations on the cameras would handle the bandwidth needed but it's probably your cheapest solution. Parking lot cams can generally get away with low framerates (and therefore lower bitrates) so at worst if you weren't happy with your max framerates using one Pico then add another in the center and run 3-4 cams per Pico at higher bit/framerates. M5 Nanos would be subject to less interference than M2s (read this as being more reliable) and have higher bandwidth, so more money but greater likelihood of everything working faster and more reliably. 8 M2 Nanos and a Pico pretty much blows $500 and that the rock bottom in the possible hardware. I've never run that many cams on Nanos from a single center Picostation before though so I can't guess what framerate/bitrate you'd be able to run.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If trenching and hanging cables out there is not an option, how do you intend on powering such a camera? osmosis?

WiFi is for Webcams, Wires are for Security Cameras.. imho, if there really is no option to run a wire... then unfortunately, there really is no option to install a camera.
OP will likely tap into existing power on each light pole via junction box as mentioned. I've run wireless bridges for cams with huge success, but each time I did I hated myself for doing so. Just didn't have any other options much like OP. Thankfully WiFi radios are getting more reliable and cheaper by the week.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah and they always decide they want a bunch of cameras after redoing the lighting and repaving it, instead of before heh.. usually trenching through asphalt and patching it back up is not so bad, its the concrete thats a bitch.. steel reenforced pain in the ass..

I'd not be using a nano for the base station for something of this scale, they are great little radios but there bandwidth is limited.. and with distances so small, great LOS and directional antennas 5GHz is the best way to go.. have you had any issues with EMI using circuits with so many HID ballasts running on em? I am sure power line is not an option with that kind of equipment on the circuit.

I'd be weary about running low framerate in a parking lot, people travel at stupid speeds in parking areas.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
@pschmehl what would you put the directional antennas on? The wired cameras out in the parking lot? Nanos have directional antennas built in and 1 M2 Nano costs as much as that $44 directional antenna. Plus, adding antennas onto consumer gear is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig. Dedicated bridges are the best way to link the cameras.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As much as I would love to run a hardwire, it is just not an option. trenching and repaving concrete. no thanks. I plan to add an Access Point per camera and bridge to one access point at the building. oh this will be fun :)

btw, would anybody know how to pull a single channel stream from a DVR and broadcast it to a channel on my NVR for an all in one remote viewing and recording? I would assume, if possible, Manually add the DVR's local IP address and each channels RTSP port, per channel, in the NVR. Is this even a real option? im not at the location to see.

yeah and they always decide they want a bunch of cameras after redoing the lighting and repaving it, instead of before heh.. usually trenching through asphalt and patching it back up is not so bad, its the concrete thats a bitch.. steel reenforced pain in the ass..

I'd not be using a nano for the base station for something of this scale, they are great little radios but there bandwidth is limited.. and with distances so small, great LOS and directional antennas 5GHz is the best way to go.. have you had any issues with EMI using circuits with so many HID ballasts running on em? I am sure power line is not an option with that kind of equipment on the circuit.

I'd be weary about running low framerate in a parking lot, people travel at stupid speeds in parking areas.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@pschmehl what would you put the directional antennas on? The wired cameras out in the parking lot? Nanos have directional antennas built in and 1 M2 Nano costs as much as that $44 directional antenna. Plus, adding antennas onto consumer gear is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig. Dedicated bridges are the best way to link the cameras.
For example, these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833999030 can be screwed into the camera to replace the antenna that comes with the camera, at a cost of $20 per camera. So can these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998208

He said he had a limited budget, so I suggested one way to solve the problem.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
8 builtin wifi cameras to a wifi router in a commercial installation? I'm not that brave.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For example, these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833999030 can be screwed into the camera to replace the antenna that comes with the camera, at a cost of $20 per camera. So can these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998208

He said he had a limited budget, so I suggested one way to solve the problem.

My limited budget is what I'd like to spend on access points or something with a solid connection over the air. I really hope you don't think I'm putting up Sricam up in a parking lot :laugh: They don't even support an Onvif protocol!

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My limited budget is what I'd like to spend on access points or something with a solid connection over the air. I really hope you don't think I'm putting up Sricam up in a parking lot :laugh: They don't even support an Onvif protocol!
I confess, I don't understand the hostility. I suggested an alternative way to get good wireless connections at low cost (because you mentioned low budget) and save you $50 per camera, and you mention Sricam (which I never brought up)?

I apologize for trying to help.