Mini PTZ: Reported Issues/Limitations

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Boys how many meters of cable have tested for function POE with your switch?

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a problem with my switch TP-LINK, it is supported for 100 meters (328 feet) and i have 85/90 meters, but the switch does not detect the camera, though the supply seems to work. With cable of 15 meters i not have problems and they comunicate.

Today i can try with other cable of 70/80 meters. I sent on ticket support to producer of switch for know how to resolve.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my switch TP-LINK, it is supported for 100 meters (328 feet) and i have 85/90 meters, but the switch does not detect the camera, though the supply seems to work. With cable of 15 meters i not have problems and they comunicate.

Today i can try with other cable of 70/80 meters. I sent on ticket support to producer of switch for know how to resolve.
What kind of cable? did you properly use the 568 standard?

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I cant say for certain, your problem is likely the cable. Its copper clad aluminium (CCA) which is complete junk and should NEVER be used. It has a higher attenuation rate and is likely causing your problem.
Sorry I forgot to tell you before, that I have not connected the shield. Is a cable with shield but it is not used with the shield. I taked this cable with "shield" just because it was bigger and more resistant than non-shielded cable. I have not connected the shield because I not have interference problems.

The cable with shield (CCA) not connected, can create the same problems?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to tell you before, that I have not connected the shield. Is a cable with shield but it is not used with the shield. I taked this cable with "shield" just because it was bigger and more resistant than non-shielded cable. I have not connected the shield because I not have interference problems.

The cable with shield (CCA) not connected, can create the same problems?
Its not the shield that is CCA. Its the cable inside the twisted pairs...its mostly aluminium covered with a bit of copper. You need to buy your cable from a reliable source that sells ONLY quality cable.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar situation hunte88 where a camera was unusable with about 40 metres of cat6 CCA cable. I did as fenderman suggests and swapped to solid copper cat6 and now have no problems at all with 2 cameras each with 80 metre runs.

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With other cameras that are not motorized, the cable work very well.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With other cameras that are not motorized, the cable work very well.

Yes because those cameras did not need as much power and therefore even the lower amount sent over the CCA is sufficient. See @atom's post above. You should never skimp on cable. It will give you all sorts of problems and you will have to do the work all over again in addition to pulling out all the old cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar situation hunte88 where a camera was unusable with about 40 metres of cat6 CCA cable. I did as fenderman suggests and swapped to solid copper cat6 and now have no problems at all with 2 cameras each with 80 metre runs.
thanks atom.

If i use a power injector with supply 48vdc can i resolve ?

Unfortunately I can not remove the cable

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks atom.

If i use a power injector with supply 48vdc can i resolve ?

Unfortunately I can not remove the cable

I tried a high powered injector (30W) and it didn't work for me, I had to swap the cable. Who knows though, maybe you'll be able to get enough power through.

I had a Huisun PTZ hooked up with only 10 metres of old cat5e CCA and it worked, but only erratically, and it was the only thing on the 4 port switch. Even small PTZs can be pretty power sensitive, especially with IR on and moving at the same time. With new cable (as of 2 days ago) it's now like a different camera.

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you tell me if I can claim back to clable's vendor for this problem on it ?

What specs does the cable must have ?

Thanks a lot

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tell me if I can claim back to clable's vendor for this problem on it ?

What specs does the cable must have ?

Thanks a lot
The cable vendor listed it as CCA, so technically the didnt lie. That said, they should have listed it more clearly and at least specified copper clad aluminium instead of simply writing CCA. Tough, note this from the link below.
"While some CCA cables may be accurately labeled as such, when a CCA cable is labeled as a category cable (i.e., category 5e, 6 or 6A) or as being CMR or CMP rated, it is counterfeit cable and might not comply with industry performance standards or pass UL fire safety testing, posing an even greater risk. If you happen to come across CCA cable with invalid marks or legends, you can report those cables through the newly redesigned CCCA website."

For long runs your cable should be SOLID not stranded and should be COPPER not CCA. You might also use cat6 that is 23awg vs a cat5e cable that is 24..this thicker cable helps with the power loss...
This explains why you should not use CCA. http://www.belden.com/blog/datacenters/Not-in-My-Network-Copper-Clad-Aluminum-is-a-Recipe-for-Failure.cfm
Also, buy from a reliable source, not the place you got your cca cable.

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification fenderman :)

The place "eprice" where i buy is reliable i buy on it from 6 year. The last year they have extended their platform to other individual sellers and is not good for customers but if you have a problem, they do not make controversy. I have a xfx power supply with 5 year warranty, paid 60$. After 4 years the power supply got broken, they gave me back 80$ cash.

Now i try to add one or more new copper cables without pull old cable.

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys i changed the cable i take another type "NOT CCA" and now work it. Thanks a lot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys i changed the cable i take another type "NOT CCA" and now work it. Thanks a lot.
Great! Its amazing that they sell that junk and it causes so much frustration and problems for end users.