Mini PTZ: Reported Issues/Limitations

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think the 8-port version has a fan, so no worry about being noisy. This is a question and some answers on it from Amazon.

Question:​
Does this have a fan? (Poe 8 or 4 versions)

Answer:​
By Peet Peet on June 17, 2015
8 port has no fan
By Andy Holcomb on June 5, 2015 No, it does not have a fan.
By Linda Oliver on June 5, 2015 Nope it is a fanless design much like most switches these days. It doesn't need a fan either as I had no issues with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think the 8-port version has a fan, so no worry about being noisy. This is a question and some answers on it from Amazon.

Question:​
Does this have a fan? (Poe 8 or 4 versions)

Answer:​
By Peet Peet on June 17, 2015
8 port has no fan
By Andy Holcomb on June 5, 2015 No, it does not have a fan.
By Linda Oliver on June 5, 2015 Nope it is a fanless design much like most switches these days. It doesn't need a fan either as I had no issues with mine.
Lare, I was talking about TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8Poe+ , as there was some discussion here (link)

Yes, that one has no fan from your link.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you like to tinker this zyxel is managed, and fanless. only POE+ 70w total, but if your other cams are hikvision dahua, they only draw 3-5w so there will be tons to spare for the ptz
http://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Managed-Desktop-Switch-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450064299&sr=8-5&keywords=zyxel+managed+switch
Hmm, That another good option!

So i have 7 Cam's now.

4 Cam's are Ismart c2003dn4 @ power consumption : max 4w each
1 Huisun witch based on the sale page is at 18 watts power consumtion.
2 Cam's are from shoppingcctv GW2061IP @ 180mA/520mA (ir oN) not sure about Watt's in this.

So i don't think i have more than 50w total, so i guess the above zyxel will be good.

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just purchased this TL-SG1008PE 8 port about a month ago, it does have a fan and Metal case.
have 5 cameras, 4 hik's and the Huisun, no problems so far.
Chewie

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, That another good option!

So i have 7 Cam's now.

4 Cam's are Ismart c2003dn4 @ power consumption : max 4w each
1 Huisun witch based on the sale page is at 18 watts power consumtion.
2 Cam's are from shoppingcctv GW2061IP @ 180mA/520mA (ir oN) not sure about Watt's in this.

So i don't think i have more than 50w total, so i guess the above zyxel will be good.
its managed, so when you get it you need to properly set it up...it defaults to 192.168.1.1 so you need to hook it up to a pc first to either set dhcp or assign an address. Also to save settings, you need to hit apply AND hit the save button on top or the setting will revert after power cycle. Finally, in the POE settings you need to change the mode to "consumption" instead of the default "classification"..
Classification mode reserves power based on what it thinks the device may need based on the class of the device, not how much it actually draws..this will result in the switch maxing out at 4 cameras.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you are about 10 feet away, you can barely hear it, mine is in the garage.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for your guys input.

Will decide between the 2

ZyXEL Fanless 8 Port GbE 70w PoE+ L2 Web Managed Desktop Switch(GS1900-8HP)
(So some mixed reviews about this, but will read more)
or
TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch, 8 POE ports, IEEE 802.3at/af, Max Output 124W

Now need to find me some good 100ft cat6 cable, all this cables on the net just can't find the right one :cool:

Regards,

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From my router to the TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE switch is about 100 ft, I use cat5e patch cable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your guys input.

ZyXEL Fanless 8 Port GbE 70w PoE+ L2 Web Managed Desktop Switch(GS1900-8HP)
(So some mixed reviews about this, but will read more)
As with the tp link, the reviews are mixed between various models on amazon...also some users dont know what they are doing with managed switch and complain because they dont set them up correctly...

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I might have to order one of the TL-SG1008PE switches for my garage also. I have a TP-Link 8-port (4 port PoE) gigabit switch in the garage but all of the ports are in use with 7 cameras connected. Who knows, might someday need more garage cameras. :D

Don't have to worry about fan noise out there.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed a strange bug with my 2 mini ptz cameras regarding the time stamp. I posted this video a few minutes ago and noticed it while watching the video. At the 1:16 mark of this video my camera switches from AM to PM at 1:00 PM in the afternoon instead of at 12 noon. This happens on both my cameras. At night, both cameras switch correctly from PM to AM exactly at midnight. Here is the video link.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7381-Suspicious-Driver-Recorded-with-Huisun-Mini-Bullet-PTZ

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, I missed that. It was a 10 second foray on e-bay and chose the wrong model.
That explains it. Cheerios without LSD is clearly a different model number on E-Bay.

Your "Salesman" friend.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As with the tp link, the reviews are mixed between various models on amazon...also some users dont know what they are doing with managed switch and complain because they dont set them up correctly...
Your right there friend! You need to know how to set them up correctly. I am no pro and i am not going to give a negative feedback if some that i don't know how to do it.
Found this brand:
Netgear GS748TP ProSafe 48-port 10/100/1000 Smart PoE Switch for $200 used (new $800)

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm no expert on Ethernet cable, but how about this cat6 cable?
That one looks good! The only thing is witch i am not sure yet, that one is cat6 24awg and the 23awg is a ticker cable and the 23awg could be better to buy.
But of course i got this here ..linkyyyy. in 100ft gray color. I wish i can buy exactly what @fenderman said , but you just don't find a complete
"cat6 solid (not stranded) copper cable (not cca) at 23awg".

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for that info! I may go with tp-link too. Can you tell me if this has the option to tell you how much draw watts for each port if connected?
Thanks,

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that info! I may go with tp-link too. Can you tell me if this has the option to tell you how much draw watts for each port if connected?
Thanks,
Hello Patrocle
I don't think this Switch has the option that you mentioned, you can go back to post 28 on this thread for the power distribution on the ports, this switch is plug&play, you connect the cameras to the switch,. switch to A/C and you are done

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello Patrocle
I don't think this Switch has the option that you mentioned, you can go back to post 28 on this thread for the power distribution on the ports, this switch is plug&play, you connect the cameras to the switch,. switch to A/C and you are done
Thanks Chewie for reply.

Well i guess we can use one of this :

WS-PoE-Tester

To see the watts drainage per each ip cam.