Microphone input wiring question and Bluetooth receiver for DS-2CD2147G2-SU

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there
I’m new here and I’d really appreciate some help.
I have a audio enabled camera and I’d like some advice on wiring.

I thought I would be able to make a female 3.5mm jack to plug my mic into the IP camera. It’s not a Hikvision mic, it’s a lapel mic with its own power.
I also plan to use a Bluetooth receiver for another audio source, and I thought I could plug that into the female mini jack.
And I want the option to be able to plug an audio source directly from a phone or media player directly into the audio in for the camera (also using the female mini jack).

I realise I might be on the wrong track, but maybe someone could advise?
If I wanted to make such an adapter to fit into the green connector block, how would I go about it?

I’m attaching images of
1. female mini jack ( can I cut the end and attach directly to the green block?)
2. The BT receiver which also uses a 3.5mm mini jack
3. The lapel mic which would plug into the female mini jack

If there’s an adapter I need to buy to achieve this, and I can’t adapt the cables I have, then please advise?
Thanks in advance!

C278CBEC-7D74-45CE-AC7D-6DAC8664607F.jpeg 7406A787-671F-4603-9795-EB36175B9C91.jpeg 4CC5670E-C0F0-4CC3-BF78-A39F9CCE031A.jpeg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I wanted to make such an adapter to fit into the green connector block, how would I go about it?
Silly prices, but plenty choices available on UK eBay, probably in your area also :
You presumably would need the 2-pole version.
edit Though I notice your camera cable is 4 pole.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response Alastair, but that’s not a female 3.5mm mini jack!
If I cut the wire off the back of my female mini jack, my questions is how do I wire into the green block?
It has ”audio in” “ground” “audio out” “ground”
So which wires (red, white, bare - i.e. tip ring sleeve) go where to only get audio in?
I know the IP cam receives mono not stereo, that’s not a problem, I just don’t know which wires go where! ‍

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
no experience with hik cams, but normally you need to switch (settings) between the cam built-in microphone, or the line-input (shown connector). There should include volume levels to adjust as well (cam settings). Since your plan is to use the BT receiver as the line-input, why you need to use an external mic? It looks like your BT is stereo (the tip and middle ring is signal, while the longest is ground). Just cut the cable an attach one of the signals + ground (mono) to your cam connector. U understand you may use the BT receiver to input recorded audio (?) or speech from your phone. An external microphone (condenser mic) will need to have an external voltage to excite.
For the audio-out, you need an external powered mono amp + speaker

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
no experience with hik cams, but normally you need to switch (settings) between the cam built-in microphone, or the line-input (shown connector). There should include volume levels to adjust as well (cam settings). Since your plan is to use the BT receiver as the line-input, why you need to use an external mic? It looks like your BT is stereo (the tip and middle ring is signal, while the longest is ground). Just cut the cable an attach one of the signals + ground (mono) to your cam connector. U understand you may use the BT receiver to input recorded audio (?) or speech from your phone. An external microphone (condenser mic) will need to have an external voltage to excite.
For the audio-out, you need an external powered mono amp + speaker
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Sorry if I wasn’t clear…
I have two audio-capable IP cams, and I’m experimenting with a combination of inputs - a mic or line-in on one, and BT receiver (from line in or mic) on the other.
I thought if I hooked up a female mini-jack to the camera’s audio in, it would take all those inputs.

So to be clear, you’re saying just connect either the red or black wire to audio in, and the bare wire to ground?

I’m a bit concerned that inputting stereo to mono will be an issue.

I have this handy little adapter that might also be helpful to connect a phone (TRS to TRRS). Image attached.

Adapter.png

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if you want to sacrifice (cut) the RCA or the BT connector. Cutting will be an easier task, especially for experimenting. The bare cables will connect perfectly to the camera block. Since all your connectors are stereo, while the camera is mono, you only need ground and signal. Normally, the red and white cables are signal (left and right channels), while the ground reference is a bare surrounding copper. For the RCA connector, the center tip is signal, while the outside pressure plate is ground. For the mini plug (stereo in your case), tip and middle ring are signals (left and right), while the remaining connector is ground. It will be easier if you have an ohm-meter to identify the tip/mid connector. Since camera is mono, no need to combine both, but even combining both stereo mini jack cables, it will convert it to mono jack (see photo).
This may not be the case, since your idea is to “in/out” the camera signal through the wireless BT receiver. For longer distances (cable), you may need to include a balun at both ends (normally 75-ohms matching impedance)

Attachments

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if you want to sacrifice (cut) the RCA or the BT connector. Cutting will be an easier task, especially for experimenting. The bare cables will connect perfectly to the camera block. Since all your connectors are stereo, while the camera is mono, you only need ground and signal. Normally, the red and white cables are signal (left and right channels), while the ground reference is a bare surrounding copper. For the RCA connector, the center tip is signal, while the outside pressure plate is ground. For the mini plug (stereo in your case), tip and middle ring are signals (left and right), while the remaining connector is ground. It will be easier if you have an ohm-meter to identify the tip/mid connector. Since camera is mono, no need to combine both, but even combining both stereo mini jack cables, it will convert it to mono jack (see photo).
This may not be the case, since your idea is to “in/out” the camera signal through the wireless BT receiver. For longer distances (cable), you may need to include a balun at both ends (normally 75-ohms matching impedance)
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, and apologies for the delay in replying. major challenges internet-wise!
I have had success in part 1 of my audio journey, that is the wiring. :) thanks to you.

Now I am unable to get my NVR to obtain an external IP address, so I can’t access the web interface - this seems to be the only way to change from the built-in mic and the line-in function. There’s no way to do this from the native NVR interface.
It also means I can’t use the HikConnect App. I’m stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no PC, just mobile devices. Have an internet connection with a LAN socket, have plugged in the NVR, but no success.
I think I’ll make another thread, or search around the forum to see if I can find an answer, as this is clearly a new struggle!
Thanks again for your kindness.

CB24E978-8D32-4059-A205-DF33A2579C57.jpeg

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
One more related audio question: Is there any advice on how to get audio out of the NVR via my HDMI connection to my screen? I have succeeded via the RCA output to a speaker, but I’d prefer just to use the screen’s audio for quick access.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose that depends on IF the NVR used the HDMI audio standard.

If there is a built in mic on any of your cams, you could see that its enabled for audio, and then try and "listen" to playback or live feed, and see if it's coming thru. for starters.
or if your audio in on your cam has a selection between audio in types.
1682944843421.png
is there a mic enabled icon on live view? I toggled mine and the audio came on.
1682944993569.png

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
I suppose that depends on IF the NVR used the HDMI audio standard.

If there is a built in mic on any of your cams, you could see that its enabled for audio, and then try and "listen" to playback or live feed, and see if it's coming thru. for starters.
or if your audio in on your cam has a selection between audio in types.

is there a mic enabled icon on live view? I toggled mine and the audio came on.
Thanks for the quick response.

I am getting sound out of the built-in mic (via the RCA out on the NVR to a speaker).

Because I can’t access the NVR over the LAN, I don’t have access to the audio settings you refer to.

Unfortunately none of these options are available in the NVR menu I’ve got. Under camera there are three items:
”Camera, Display and Privacy mask”
Under Camera there is an edit IP Camera pop up, and this has no audio options. It’s just the networking stuff.

In the live view their is a volume button, but no toggle on/off. No problem getting sound from the in-built mic though. :) I need line-in.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if your getting audio-out from the camera mic (at the NVR side), is a matter of switching the ip camera settings to line-in. As Flintstone61 graphics, my experience is mostly with Dahua products, but same should apply to Hik as well. I am not sure if you means not able to access the camera web page (local network ip address) through your PC (your mobile device should be able to connect as well). Just to better understand, are you trying to input audio through your external 2-way BT receiver (camera side), using your mobile phone? Explain a little further. Probably someone with more experience could help

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
if your getting audio-out from the camera mic (at the NVR side), is a matter of switching the ip camera settings to line-in. As Flintstone61 graphics, my experience is mostly with Dahua products, but same should apply to Hik as well. I am not sure if you means not able to access the camera web page (local network ip address) through your PC (your mobile device should be able to connect as well). Just to better understand, are you trying to input audio through your external 2-way BT receiver (camera side), using your mobile phone? Explain a little further. Probably someone with more experience could help
I am not able to get to the interface that allows one to change from built-in to line-in. This option is only available on the web interface or the iVMS4200 software. I don’t have access to the internet through the NVR and because of this I can’t set up a mobile device with HikConnect. I’ve started another thread as it’s no longer about the audio.

Yes to your question about the BT/phone. I’m sure it will work as soon as I can toggle to line-in. For simplicity, I’m just using the iPhone directly via cable to test, so that there’s no other variables with the BT.