Memory creeping on Intel Graphics 530

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure what sort of memory usage to expect from BI, but I was intrigued by the fact that the memory usage seemed to tick up over time following restart.

At this point the memory usage behaviour of BI 5.3.9.2 on my machine seems very different to 5.3.8.17, but it’s only early days.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I came into work this AM to 100%CPu on the new HP Elitedesk 1-5-8500 24Gb....... 2 cams were showing no signal. so i rebooted. rolld back to a version from July 2020. Monitoring. anybody recommend a version that is not causing this issue?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
at the intel site downloading a version for 630UHD...has a newer version number than im currently running. im at 26.20.100.7757 currently installing ver...
igfx_win10_100.9168.exe
(edit) well that wouldn't install....ok later.....

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was the memory usage high as well?
I'm running the latest ver here at home with no issues.
My problem child machine is also running the current ver with the same issue's of memory creep it's had now for 2 months.
Curious, did you do a fresh install of windows using the Media Creation Tool when you first received the computer?

elektro255

n3wb
Reaction score
The memory leak that I was facing was fixed in 5.3.9.7, no problems since then. It affects installs that use 48kHz audio recording in a clip longer than 12.5h.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Was the memory usage high as well?
I'm running the latest ver here at home with no issues.
My problem child machine is also running the current ver with the same issue's of memory creep it's had now for 2 months.
Curious, did you do a fresh install of windows using the Media Creation Tool when you first received the computer?
I did the "reset this PC" and it removed everything from HP that was Bloatware. using the Run as Administrator Command line from somebodies post on here.
"I can tell you how to get a quick and easy perfect installation of Win 10.( that could probably be done remotely too.) It leaves your Apps intact but completely removes and replaces Windows. Furthermore, it comes with all the latest updates installed so no updating needed (it's usually the updates that break Windows). Did I say it's very fast. Think 10 minutes not 3 days.

Ok it's a 3 step process but quick. 1st step is really a system check and can be skipped or run alone without step 2 or 3. However, if you run step 2, either after step 1 or without step 1, you must run step 3.

Hope that makes sense. Step 1 is a more comprehensive version of the system check utility and sometimes fixes items the Windows run one can't. However, it doesn't fix everything, and whilst worth trying, sometimes only a re-installation will do.

Step 1:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
Step 2:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Step 3:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't do good detective work, I just panicked, and rebooted before i lost any more recording time. Murphy's Law, the new bigger better Security recorder will stop working when the DipshitsRus gang returns to Storm the Castle.
I'm really happy with how Blue Iris regback up's work. I know now, that should I reimage the C:\ drive and go for media Creation, i can get all my hard fought settings back.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, im on version 5.3.0.3 July 2020....cpu This morning was at 16-18% with 2.84 GB ram usage. GPu 7%. I switched all the cameras that support h265 over to h265 since my hardware now supports it. 12 out of 13 support it. The Amcrust USB powered indoor ptz doesnt appear to have h265 as a selection. Will check and make sure about that audio setting that was mentioned.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I let my machine out of jail, And let it update windows Wednesday. Big mistake. Luckily i was able to revert to a saved Windows Image from Monday.
Im trying to run wirh the latest Deepstack version of Blue Iris. Was really happily surprised to see 13 cameras at 9-11% CPU and 978-1010 MB of Ram. Yes under 1 GB!
Then after windows update. CPU was creeping up from 19% to 30% and then an hour later 40-55%. Ram still appreciably low at 2.6GB.
But( and this is a first) the Cooling fans began ramping up in noise and RPM.
I thought oh shit here we go.
So I dumped the update by using my Macrium Reflect Image created Monday.
Checked this AM. 9% cpu and 987 MB ram.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Ken needs to try and get a diagnosis program written within BI to make error tracing more accessible. A friend of mine works for a major software company and he put one of these into their software and it helps them solve issues tremendously because it logs events normally and reports back errors and what led up to them automatically on a crash, but can be put into an intensive mode by the user if the auto mode isn't recording the necessary info, whereupon it logs everything the program does and every code call it makes and the user upon a crash (or reboot) simply chooses to submit the logs which can then be reviewed by the programmer alongside the users description of the fault to identify the code that led to the crash.

Here if you could identify the start of the crash from the logs by identifying the point at which the memory usage starts to rise, you could probably narrow down the code call to a section immediately before it.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had a memory creep today - first time ever. (not using graphics 530). Despite fenderman advising against, I update BI’s SW as soon as a newer version is released. I wonder if it's as a result of 5.4.3.1? CPU still very low though. Rebooted and now memory OK at the moment.

Edit:-
Come to think of it I tried out fiddling with deepstack yesterday as well...

Last edited:

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had similar issues a few months ago. High CPU and memory usage and the app crashed multiple times a day. I finally changed all my cameras (35 at last count) to use H.264 only and the problems immediately stopped. This is on an I7-8700 with 16G of RAM. The graphics are an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Now the machine runs flawlessly with BI using right around 2.7 G of memory. And right now using the 2 video streams option my CPU is right at 10%.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just came here to post this:

1618148344740.png

This was after about 12 hours since last "unexpected restart" on my i7-49XX. It was on 5.3.9.17.

The only thing that has changed in my environment recently is that I went from from 8mbps DSL to gigabit fiber, and consequently have two users that are now logged in via UI3 at full resolution, full time. I'm wondering whether having someone logged in on UI3 for 24hrs or more doesn't cause some kind of memory leak.

I updated to the latest 5.4.3.1 about 12 hours ago, and it memory has been staying around 30%, so perhaps, if it was something with BI/UI3, maybe it's been patched?

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just came here to post this:

View attachment 86544

This was after about 12 hours since last "unexpected restart" on my i7-49XX. It was on 5.3.9.17.

The only thing that has changed in my environment recently is that I went from from 8mbps DSL to gigabit fiber, and consequently have two users that are now logged in via UI3 at full resolution, full time. I'm wondering whether having someone logged in on UI3 for 24hrs or more doesn't cause some kind of memory leak.

I updated to the latest 5.4.3.1 about 12 hours ago, and it memory has been staying around 30%, so perhaps, if it was something with BI/UI3, maybe it's been patched?
I have two displays logged into BI 24/7 using UI3.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have two displays logged into BI 24/7 using UI3.
With UI3? Holy smokes, my reading comprehension is in the tank this AM... Sorry. Then it must not be this issue. What version are you running?

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Latest stable 5.3.9.17 x64, the server has been up roughly a month.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Latest stable 5.3.9.17 x64, the server has been up roughly a month.
Interesting. That's what I'd been on up until last night when I had the high usage. I've been having very frequent BI restarts for the last week. The only thing that seemed to resolve it was restarting the machine. I'd settled on the latest stable version hoping that would restore some stability, but with the memory maxing out, I just jumped to the latest release.

It's so frustrating to have everything humming along like a fine-tuned machine, and then out of the blue, tons of restarts. I was really hoping I could narrow it down to something new in the environment, but apparently it has nothing to do with the version or the UI3 logging in.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. That's what I'd been on up until last night when I had the high usage. I've been having very frequent BI restarts for the last week. The only thing that seemed to resolve it was restarting the machine. I'd settled on the latest stable version hoping that would restore some stability, but with the memory maxing out, I just jumped to the latest release.

It's so frustrating to have everything humming along like a fine-tuned machine, and then out of the blue, tons of restarts. I was really hoping I could narrow it down to something new in the environment, but apparently it has nothing to do with the version or the UI3 logging in.
Did you see my post from 8:50 am today? I didn't even remember setting some of the cameras for H264+ or H265 but when I set them all for H264 it was the end of the problems.