Maybe jumping into BI

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it. Really am.

My figuring is, still use my Dahua NVR, but use BI as pretty much a secondary unit. Run things through for LPR,etc..
I was taking a look at computers, ran into a couple on Amazon that might fit the bill. Comp1 and Comp2

Thoughts, opinions?

If I did go down this route, I'd need to install a new breaker with new outlets. I'm pretty close to being maxed out and don't want to push things too far.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Either one is fine,,,,,Nice to have a bigger SSD but I'm running both of mine of 256GB drives.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Size doesn't really matter to me. I have plenty of room for any size computer and equipment.
Having 1 3.5" HD isn't quite ideal though.

Yeah.. that g4 looks a bit better in storage capacity.

Though couldn't one just velcro, or attach another 3.5" in there without the actual cage?

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dell towers don't really buy you much vs the SFF. No place made for a second 3.5" drive though there is more physical space where you could cram one in there somewhere. Think the power supply is marginally better.

You can do better on price if you shop around some. Dellrefurbished.com usually has a coupon that would put that same spec machine or equal ~$150 less. Maybe better if you catch a deal. The 7040 tower I7-6700, 8GB, 256 NVMe I got a while back was ~$230 shipped if I remember right.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Size doesn't really matter to me. I have plenty of room for any size computer and equipment.
Having 1 3.5" HD isn't quite ideal though.

Yeah.. that g4 looks a bit better in storage capacity.

Though couldn't one just velcro, or attach another 3.5" in there without the actual cage?
Bingo!!!! We are not moving these computers around, so the cage isn't necessary. I had an optical drive in mine that I disconnected and velcro'd in another drive using the optical drive spot on the motherboard. As long as the MOBO has the the slot that can be used for a HDD, all is good.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah @wittaj.... but ..... the HP natively has the dual power supply plug for supporting 2- SATA 3.5" that feds right up the middle of the cage, I think on mine, the Sata cable was there as well.....
you don't have to unplug the DVD etc....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah @wittaj.... but ..... the HP natively has the dual power supply plug for supporting 2- SATA 3.5" that feds right up the middle of the cage, I think on mine, the Sata cable was there as well.....
you don't have to unplug the DVD etc....
True - it is always better to buy one that has it natively, but if you get a great deal on one that doesn't but has the ability on the MOBO, I wouldn't immediately discount it either.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, then are there any series of the Dell that has native support for two + 3.5" HDD? I know next to nothing about the HP or Dell lineups.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the Precision do but harder to find deals on those. Price is a lot higher to begin with and not as many coming back off lease which is where most of these used business desktops come from.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll have to look around. I'm used to building my own, but the cost to build my own has sky rocketed to the point where I can't really do it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman recommended the HP...lol....I was vary familiar with Dells lineup,,,,and parts etc....but HP is equally easy to navigate for PC info.....
So I took a leap of faith....and jumped to HP....on that Condo build...fits nice on a rack shelf...not an electricity hog.....