Maybe jumping into BI

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Man....if you ever get rid of that thing your local Minnesota power company may have to lay some people off.... :highfive:
and judging by all the fans and the window A/C that room needs NO aux heat this winter!
Dude it was a Google search for " janky PC with duct taped HDD" lol

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't 8gb ram a bit on the low side? Could throw in another 8gb I suppose.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it. Really am.

My figuring is, still use my Dahua NVR, but use BI as pretty much a secondary unit. Run things through for LPR,etc..
I was taking a look at computers, ran into a couple on Amazon that might fit the bill. Comp1 and Comp2

Thoughts, opinions?

If I did go down this route, I'd need to install a new breaker with new outlets. I'm pretty close to being maxed out and don't want to push things too far.
Please dont pay that kind of money for an 8th gen system. When comparing systems note that for example a 10th gen i5 is just as powerful as an 8th gen i7. Moreover a 12th gen systems are huge jump forward as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Feel free to post a listing if you find one. Would prefer one with the ability for 2+ 3.5" HD, 16gb+, etc...
Size really doesn't matter and paying a little extra is fine if worth it.

Thanks all

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still looking at machines, and I've decided that I also might need a new daily computer, for e-mail, web browsing, microsoft word, excel, etc..
Since I decided on that bit of news, I'm looking to purchase new.

A few of the programs are memory hungry, so I'm looking at 32gb ram, 500 or 1tb main drive for windows etc.., drive for all my daily stuff, and a drive, maybe 2, for BI.
Right now I'm leaning towards just having the BI record on events, since my NVR will still be running.

No problem doing this, issues, etc.. ? Thanks much

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I found a Dell precision 3630 has 2- available 3.5" bays. ( actually 3 if you run a NVME m.2 drive off the mainboard.
Some say its overkill, but it's my daily driver, plus the BI machine, and i also run an NVR. I hvae both on Continous Record because I like the BI review so much better than the NVR timeline review.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Please dont pay that kind of money for an 8th gen system. When comparing systems note that for example a 10th gen i5 is just as powerful as an 8th gen i7. Moreover a 12th gen systems are huge jump forward as well.
I maybe too late here as I see the posts were Nov and Dec, but I was just about to say like Fenderman, that you could build a better PC such as a 10-12th Gen i5 for that kind of money.

I'll have to look around. I'm used to building my own, but the cost to build my own has sky rocketed to the point where I can't really do it.
I built one here although I'm not suggesting mine is the best solution. The advantage of building is nothing is cut down and you can pick quality components. Off the shelf gives convenience but at the cost of quality / features. Many choose to buy 2nd hand refurbed units if looking for HP or Dell or sometimes manage to get a hold of excess new stock for the same price.

As for price, I'm not sure what you're trying to build there, but you don't need the latest motherboard, expensive DDR5 etc. Keep it simple. All you need is something that's i5 in 10-12 th gen ie the older socket, (allegedly many i5's are previous generations i7's designs), a mid range motherboard ie a B series, a decent case, a psu around 500-600w max, (most probably smaller but just gives some headroom), 16gb of DDR4 (dirt cheap now), and SSD and a surveillance drive - you may be able to use the one off your existing NVR if trying to save money, plus a CPU cooler (mine cost around £16, so nothing expensive) and some good no frills fans.

This was my build and it came out around £550 (without the graphics card which isn't needed), and items are usually more expensive in the UK. If you needed graphics, which you shouldn't with a graphics integrated CPU these days as BI works very well in CPU mode, you could always add a Coral USB TPU Accelerator for around $55 when BI AI support has been addded (in progess) and prices normalise (they're curently inflated due to shortages of the Coral unit). However, many will tell you that BI now runs AI very well on CPU alone.

My build (note the case and motherboard had an incompatability and I had to trim a little off a Mobo heatsink to get it onto the tray mounts so you may want to consdier either a different case or mobo):

Last edited: