Mailbox camera.

Rick M

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a door switch on my mailbox connected by the wire that I mentioned. It operates a doorbell chime in my workshop. The problem is that I may not be in my shop when the mail comes. Then I miss the alert.

I was wondering is there is some sort of modem device that could send video at a very slow frame rate down a low quality wire. I only want to see if there is mail there and do not need a high frame rate.
You could use that circuit, just add a relay with a seal circuit.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I second the SCR idea. Very simple circuit that would cut off a signal light when the door has been opened, even if the door is shut again. You reset it with a momentary switch when you go down to collect the mail.

If you really want a camera, you might get a chinese board camera off ebay. It wouldn't need a housing, since it could live in the mailbox. Use a small solar panel, cheap charge controller, and a small sealed battery to provide power. Get a camera with sdi interface, as it will support a long run of RG6 coax cable. Once in the house, an sdi to hdmi converter will give you a view on your tv.

For light, cut in a window and set a piece of plexiglass.