Mailbox camera.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My mailbox is about 200 straight line feet from my house, but there are trees obscuring the view.

Reaction score
Another couple of questions-- is the mailbox in the shade? Hmmm--how hot is the inside of a mailbox in the sun on even a moderately hot summer day?

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another couple of questions-- is the mailbox in the shade? Hmmm--how hot is the inside of a mailbox in the sun on even a moderately hot summer day?
The mailbox gets some sun, but a lot of shade. It probably gets hot inside; a black metal box in direct sun (at least some of the time).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could use this relay and wire it up as such that when the mail box is opened, the relay turns on a light, and the light remains on until it is manually reset upstairs.
Or
Install an additional chime upstairs.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could use this relay and wire it up as such that when the mail box is opened, the relay turns on a light, and the light remains on until it is manually reset upstairs.
Or
Install an additional chime upstairs.
I am thinking that I may do something along those lines.
Or, I may dig the trench and lay an Ethernet cable and run a POE camera. Any thoughts on a suitable camera for this application? Would an indoor camera be OK? It would be protected from the rain but not from the temperature extremes, 0 to 120 (hot metal box temperature)?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
From IN to NH ? I would think not....:lmao:
Reminds me of a joke that goes something like this:

Two blondes were hanging out on the beach one night looking at the moon. One says that she needs to fly to Miami the next day and wonders how far it is.

The other blondes says she does not know but it has to be farther than the moon.

The first blonde states that is not possible.

So the second says "Hello, we can see the moon from right here, can you see Miami from here?"

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking that I may do something along those lines.
Or, I may dig the trench and lay an Ethernet cable and run a POE camera. Any thoughts on a suitable camera for this application? Would an indoor camera be OK? It would be protected from the rain but not from the temperature extremes, 0 to 120 (hot metal box temperature)?
There are several threads here that discuss cams inside bird boxes. I would imagine that one of those would work for you.
Now that he's open to trenching and running a line for POE there's MANY possibilities open in that manner! :cool:

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ring alarm system was my best solution. Door sensor in the mailbox triggers when opened. Alert goes to phone and or audio alert on base if wanted. I've caught a few mail thieves with this (also have an external ptz camera). I had to put a ring relay in the middle, but has been flawless at alerting me when the mailman comes. I'm not a fan of ring cameras, but their alarm system (self monitored) is awesome. You can get a refurbished 5 piece kit for around $100.

HireLV

n3wb
Reaction score
I vote cellular trailcam. Just make sure to bolt it into the box so it isn't easily stolen. Should be able to find a small one at any sporting goods store that will fit inside.

1673714918967.png

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about some kind of wireless door sensor? Something like the Mailbox Alert?
I have a z-wave sensor in my plastic post wired to magnetic contacts on the door. When it opens I have a routine to announce on Alexa and to send a picture from my driveway cam to my phone. It doesn't let me see what's inside the mailbox, but it's very reliable.

DGMAX99

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a door switch on my mailbox connected by the wire that I mentioned. It operates a doorbell chime in my workshop. The problem is that I may not be in my shop when the mail comes. Then I miss the alert.

I was wondering is there is some sort of modem device that could send video at a very slow frame rate down a low quality wire. I only want to see if there is mail there and do not need a high frame rate.
Late to this discussion but, since your mailbox is metal, and you already have it wired with a switch back to some location, would think it would be easy to just find (or build if you have basic electrical/electronic knowledge) some sort of switch triggered, resettable light box. It could also have an initial sounder to draw attention, but also have some visual indication which seals-in when triggered, but is then resettable once acknowledge. I know, kinda "old school", but simple, and it eliminates the WiFi, power supply, lack of additional wiring, etc... concerns/issues.