LPR Setup SUCCESS with HFW5241E-Z12E

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried it, and it sucked. The motion clips ended up with artifacts, and switching to the live stream took too long for me. I'll try it again in a few months

I have no issue with CPU right now, so I don't really have much to gain anyway

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I meant for the other person maxing out their CPU lol. At 100%, it is certainly worth a shot - even a few cams at that may bring it down enough to be a somewhat functional system.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird you were having issues with sub streams. I’m running them on all five cameras at my house including my LPR cam. Running the latest stable version of BI and they work fine.

For sure give it another try when you get a chance.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OpenALPR uses a fair amount of CPU, I just moved mine to a separate system. That also means that if one is being rebooted/updated etc, I still get a plate no matter what since I'm recording the LPR Cams 24/7 anyway

I have 10 total now, CPU usage is 20%. Only the two LPR cams are using the sub-stream feature to lower CPU, none of the rest. It was a little to buggy for me, but maybe they fixed it. My LPR box is using a fair amount, I gave it 8 cores and its at around 60% all the time with two cameras

Here is my video settings

View attachment 79777
For time being i removed my z12e from my dedicate pc as the openalpr software was consuming a lot of cpu about 35 to 40% with still 16 cameras now... and installed openalpr soft on my main pc witch is an i7 and just link up the cam stream into the software and i am back in business. But i still have to look at the at my dedicate pc regarding the streams, i may use sub-stream 1 not the main on some cameras that are not really important.
May have to do some reading about the streams as i just left them alone at the time of the install, so in my case all are linked to main stream.
Found this in the forum :
2021-01-17_13-04-18.jpg
Good guide.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now to goback to the LPR , Looks like is capturing plates okay @ day time but kind not that good at night. I may have to move it to the right a little and i think i have it about 166ft away.

2021-01-17_12-54-10.jpg

2021-01-17_12-54-43.jpg

That's where i am kind setup right now:

2021-01-17_12-55-2277.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you are at max zoom either - I would zoom in a little more as well to help with the night shots. I use the sunrise/sunset utility from this site and have zoomed backed out a little during the day to capture a little more and then it zooms in at night to help get the plate.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, i m not zoomed all the way yet.
Video of my settings:
View attachment 2021-01-17_13-49-56.mp4

Maybe move the cam just a little to the right to get the full width of the street, me thinking...

I used that utility before but i re-done the dedicate pc and also moved from different city and never got into the lpr thing again but time has come again for it.
The Dahua night / day still does not work properly when it comes to zoom for day and zoom for night? as i know there problems before some years ago.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah you have some zoom left! And yes the Dahua day/night still doesn't work properly, especially for the zoom/focus and fast shutter speed for LPR.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to config the Dahua day/night utility but at the moment i am just not getting a clear picture of the plate, not even seeing the place.
Can you tell me from your Day zoom setting ,how much is your camera zoomed in for night? I was for day zoomed @ 900 /1616 and now i went to 940/1720
trying to config this looks that night setup is more difficult
Here is my night screen what i have :
2021-01-17_20-29-58.jpg

Now in your utility do u have something like this:

2021-01-17_20-33-53.jpg

Regards,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to hit the "get current zoom/focus" button to get the correct settings, which will be a decimal point less than or equal to 1.0 and then copy that into the respective boxes. So you set the zoom/focus for daytime on the camera and then hit this button and copy those numbers into the daytime box and then go back and set the camera to the nighttime settings and hit that button and copy those settings over.

Also, unless you know that the night focus is indeed focused at 1548, you will need to get this number by going to B/W during the daytime. At night at that shutter speed, it will be out of focus unless you confirm that number. Or send someone out and park a plate in the field of view and get the focus number and go about it that way.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a fan of the off-angle to be able to get these type of things....but then the next vehicle comes by that a straight on shot would have been better LOL.