Lorex NVR with GW Security Camera

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score
Lorex claims that their N864A64B NVR is ONVIF compliant. GW claims that their GW6050MMIC camera is ONVIF compliant. Both vendors have answered my specific questions. When I connect GW6050MMIC to N864A64B, they won't work. I left them connected for about 30 minutes. The Lorex NVR does not detect the GW camera. Does it mean that at least one of the two is not ONVIF or am I misinterpreting ONVIF?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex claims that their N864A64B NVR is ONVIF compliant. GW claims that their GW6050MMIC camera is ONVIF compliant. Both vendors have answered my specific questions. When I connect GW6050MMIC to N864A64B, they won't work. I left them connected for about 30 minutes. The Lorex NVR does not detect the GW camera. Does it mean that at least one of the two is not ONVIF or am I misinterpreting ONVIF?
Many "ONVIF" compliant cams and NVRs have one or more ONVIF "profiles" which may be a factor if they don't jive.

Have you logged into the cam's webGUI and the NVR's webGUI with a browser to see if there's an ONVIF "user" or "account' that has to be enabled and/or configured?

FWIW, I don't see in the NVR's specs anything about ONVIF, but I do in the camera's specs.

Last edited:

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score
Many "ONVIF" compliant cams and NVRs have one or more ONVIF "profiles" which may be a factor if they don't jive.

Have you logged into the cam's webGUI and the NVR's webGUI with a browser to see if there's an ONVIF "user" or "account' that has to be enabled and/or configured?

FWIW, I don't see in the NVR's specs anything about ONVIF, but I do in the camera's specs.
If you view the product page on Lorex website, I posted a question there. Below is the answer from Lorex. They are saying that 3rd party cameras are not supported. Not sure what ONVIF means then.
Lorex Fusion 4K 16-Channel 3TB Wired/Wireless Network Video Recorder

Yes, lorex NVRs are onvif compatible, and you can try to connect your third party cameras through that protocol, but third-party cameras are not supported by us so we cannot assure you if this will work for the model of cameras you have.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What they mean is THEY will not support it, meaning they will not field phone calls or chats from you to try to get them working.

Same thing with trying to use a different brand camera - it will probably work if it is an ONVIF compliant camera, but they don't want to field the support calls for it, so they say only use Lorex cameras.

You will find in many instances ONVIF doesn't mean much.

Even as a standard, there is no "standard" that every manufacturer follows.

Audio rarely follows a standard. Things like AI triggers, heat mapping, people counting, etc. rarely follow a standard.

In reality, ONVIF is a paid designation, so a camera can set up their protocol however they want, but if they belong to ONVIF, they can slap ONVIF on their stuff. Some manufacturers are better than others at providing a standard that can be used with other devices.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you view the product page on Lorex website, I posted a question there. Below is the answer from Lorex. They are saying that 3rd party cameras are not supported. Not sure what ONVIF means then.
Lorex Fusion 4K 16-Channel 3TB Wired/Wireless Network Video Recorder

Yes, lorex NVRs are onvif compatible, and you can try to connect your third party cameras through that protocol, but third-party cameras are not supported by us so we cannot assure you if this will work for the model of cameras you have.
Oh, I believe you that they told you that, I'm not disputing YOUR word, I'm questioning THEIR word.

What about my question in that post?

"Have you logged into the cam's webGUI and the NVR's webGUI with a browser to see if there's an ONVIF "user" or "account' that has to be enabled and/or configured?"

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score
What they mean is THEY will not support it, meaning they will not field phone calls or chats from you to try to get them working.

Same thing with trying to use a different brand camera - it will probably work if it is an ONVIF compliant camera, but they don't want to field the support calls for it, so they say only use Lorex cameras.

You will find in many instances ONVIF doesn't mean much.

Even as a standard, there is no "standard" that every manufacturer follows.

Audio rarely follows a standard. Things like AI triggers, heat mapping, people counting, etc. rarely follow a standard.

In reality, ONVIF is a paid designation, so a camera can set up their protocol however they want, but if they belong to ONVIF, they can slap ONVIF on their stuff. Some manufacturers are better than others at providing a standard that can be used with other devices.

Thank you for the clarification. I construed their answer in a different way. I guess I am too tired. It's been a long week. :)

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, I believe you that they told you that, I'm not disputing YOUR word, I'm questioning THEIR word.

What about my question in that post?

"Have you logged into the cam's webGUI and the NVR's webGUI with a browser to see if there's an ONVIF "user" or "account' that has to be enabled and/or configured?"
Tony,
Thanks for your feedback. I will try logging in to the NVR and camera over the weekend. I have not forgotten that. It's just that my weekdays are busy. I will let you know how it goes.

AsadK

n3wb
Reaction score

Here is the update. I started Lorex NVR with a Lorex Camera, then plugged in GW Security camera GW6050MMIC. It works perfectly fine with Lorex NVR. It captures and records both audio and video and detects human. I have yet to explore rest of the system. But I am happy that there is interoperability between Lorex and GW.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI AsadK ..

in general for many NVRs and Cameras :

You need to set the camera, and the NVR channel you want the camera on to "ONVIF" ..

sort of like, setting CC ( closed caption ) to the language you want to use ..