Looking for a good NVR - Q-See left me hanging

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently at my friends bar, we purchased a Q-see qc8816-8au-3. Installed all the cameras and the whole thing has been okay until we tried to review the recordings. There is no fast forward buttons. I called the company and they had tech after tech after tech trying to figure out why it wasnt working. They said its going to be months at least before they engineer a fix.

Soooooo that brings me to this point. I have 8 4MP IP cameras installed with no way to see who is stealing $500 a week in bottled beer. I told him i would look around and see who makes a great system and help him install it. $1000 - maybe $1500 max to spend. 16CH total

The current unit has an internal POE so i need both the NVR and POE.
In the past i have used companies like Speco and Everfocus but i dont get the warm fuzzies when i talked to my supplier about it.

Please, let me know what you feel is a good fit for this situation. I would be very grateful.

Prinler

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Use milestone (Free for up to 8 cameras) or blue iris on pc...or if you insist on a standalone nvr, look at the dahua models..the qsee cameras are likely rebranded dahua

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i can turn a decent computer into a NVR? Interesting. All i would need is extra hard drives and a POE switch?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So i can turn a decent computer into a NVR? Interesting. All i would need is extra hard drives and a POE switch?
Exactly...PC-based NVR software is much more flexible than a standalone NVR...For milestone or blue iris you will want at least an i5-haswell/skylake based system..using intel HD with quicksync for hardware acceleration...

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, im in. I just got off the phone with him. He doesn't want to skimp. He wants this to last awhile... when in 3 years when hes reviewing tape he doesnt want it to skip or studder. So im going to assume i7 4th gen and up. Would a video card help at all? Nvidia Gforce GTX XXX?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, im in. I just got off the phone with him. He doesn't want to skimp. He wants this to last awhile... when in 3 years when hes reviewing tape he doesnt want it to skip or studder. So im going to assume i7 4th gen and up. Would a video card help at all? Nvidia Gforce GTX XXX?
a video card will make things worse..you want to use intel hd...
Search the forum for elitedesk or optiplex...you can find these machines for 300-500 i5-6500 or i7-6700...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, well if its better to have a 6700
Dell OptiPlex 5040 MT i7-6700 8GB 500GB mini tower 10PRO DVD-RW *3YEAR warty* | eBay
Looks like a killer deal with a 3 year warranty!
If you search the forum you will find that they are often available for less via the dell business outlet, and chatting and requesting a discount (10%)..but if you need this asap its not bad.
Note, that these dell towers will only hold a single 3.5 drive and 1 or 2, 2.5..if you want two 3.5 for storage, then look at the elitedesk towers.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I dont mind paying a little more. My buddy just wants it soon and doesnt penny pinch like most of us do. He does need a full sized case if he wants to have the storage hes looking for.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I dont mind paying a little more. My buddy just wants it soon and doesnt penny pinch like most of us do. He does need a full sized case if he wants to have the storage hes looking for.
Then find an i7-6700 machine or better yet i7-7700 machine with enough 3.5 bays...depending on his needs.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been searching till my eyes are about yo bleed. LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im looking at the spec sheets and they all seem to only have 1 3.5" bay!!! What the heck? My after market case has 8.

only real difference is the amount of ram slots?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im looking at the spec sheets and they all seem to only have 1 3.5" bay!!! What the heck? My after market case has 8.

only real difference is the amount of ram slots?
possibly raid options that are irrelevant, and the number of display ports as well as possible m.2 slots...
The elitedesk tower has two 3.5 slots.