Look for recommendations for a camera

bstreiss

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's such a beast as 8mp poe startlight dome camera, black preferred. I haven't been very successful at finding one on Google,but there are so many camera out there that it gets a little confusing. I'm having trouble with reflected IR from plants near the camera. I can't realistically cut the plant back or move the camera. I'd love to come in under $200 USD if possible.

Reaction score
Welcome, make sure you check out the wiki it has great information, that will answer your questions. It's in the tool bar at the top of this page. Unfortunately if you have reflective ir the only remedy for that is to remove whatever is causing it or to move the camera or have enough light to run the camera in color mode all night. Every situation is different. At this time 2mp starlight is better for night viewing. Unless you have a lot of lighting to run cameras in full color. Some cameras you can turn the IR light off and run an external ir light and that will help with the reflection issues. Here are a few threads with good information. No one can tell you exactly what will work for your situation but you, after learning as much as you can here. Good luck.
Dahua HFW-1831E in-depth review

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bstreiss

n3wb
Reaction score
@djernie Thanks for the info and links. I should have enough light to run in daylight - I'll try it this evening and see how it goes.

@VorlonFrog What's the advantage? They always look sort of cheap and flimsy to me.

Reaction score
@djernie Thanks for the info and links. I should have enough light to run in daylight - I'll try it this evening and see how it goes.

@VorlonFrog What's the advantage? They always look sort of cheap and flimsy to me.
Turrets are actually more rugged, sturdy, and stable. Domes are made of polycarbonate that while durable, are subject to deterioration from UV light (like sunlight) and also from abrasion via wind-blown dust and debris. The other big problems with domes are internal reflections from IR illuminators.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are no 8MP Starlight cameras.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
More megapixel is not necessarily better.
Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

Camera Sensor size info Sensor Size Chart Generally bigger is better

bstreiss

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all - setting the camera to daylight seems to have solve the problem for now. I'll read through all those great links and consider swapping out that camera with another.