Long Shot - Concord DVR - QV5000 - Password/system reset

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Concord 4 Channel HD DVR Package - 4x1080p Cameras | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

Purchased one of these for brother in law yesterday. Had some issues setting it up (with connected screen, splash would show up, then turn off, suspected it was pushing video out VGA not hdmi). Finally got it working via browser and set about changing the password. Pasted in a password twice....but then the same password was not accepted on login.

So locked out now. Their password reset instructions read:
Code:
NOTE: If you forget your password, you will be unable to login to the system. You will need to contact Concord to reset the password if you are locked out. Visit: www.concord.support.
It better not be a master password. Surely it will be a hardware reset switch somewhere?

Does anyone know? I'm waiting for a reply from them, but as yet no acknowledgement....it's a bad system to require a support ticket for something like this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Pasted in a password twice....but then the same password was not accepted on login.
Complete speculation here ...
Was this a long password, say 16 characters or more?
Maybe the system won't accept very long passwords.

So locked out now.
Assuming a power cycle will clear this state, maybe try the password you set, but omitting some of the end characters.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Complete speculation here ...
Was this a long password, say 16 characters or more?
Maybe the system won't accept very long passwords.

Assuming a power cycle will clear this state, maybe try the password you set, but omitting some of the end characters.
Yeah I was guessing that as well. I did manage to finally hear from the vendor....but while waiting I did actually manage to “break” into it using a master password.

Scarily easy actually.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too right! These embedded Linux devices are often so easily hacked.
It just underlines how risky 'port forwarding' is on devices where there is such a strong desire for remote access.
Yeah, hard to set up a VPN for someone though. I need to figure that out. Hopefully his nas will be able to do it. It’s prettty old. Or I’ll have to build a pi for him.