Live stream stops after 1 minute or so

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
When I watch the live stream through the web interface or through VLC (connecting to RTSP) it works great for about a minute or so and then the picture stops (VLC disconnects). When I watch through my mobile tinyCam connecting to RTSP it works for as long as I want.

What could be the problem and how do I fix it? It's a DS-2CD2432F-I is running 5.2.0 firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
RTSP needs a 'keepalive' mechanism to maintain the stream, otherwise it times out after the default interval.
But I've not seen that problem, ie keepalive packets not recognised, on a Hikvision camera, just on a Dericam H502W.
I'll need to try it and check out the stream.
Are you using any modified-from-default settings in VLC?

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using open network in VLC without any special settings. Note that the stream stops even in the hikvisions web interface too.

You can test my cam: home.romanware.net (RTSP port 554, web interface port 8071)
Username/password: test/test

Last edited by a moderator:

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
If I force VLC to use TCP for RTSP it works. But I still would like the web interface to work for more than a minute.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been out all day doing setup for a road running event - just got back and tried VLC, connected Ok and captured about 10min of this - I'll be out most of tomorrow also.
But it seemed OK, though it was using TCP as the transport.

I see you have Live View set to use UDP.
I couldn't get Live View to work at all on UDP, though it was OK on TCP. That's likely due to it requiring a different port than the one you have enabled.
I didn't have time to explore, will come and have another look tomorrow.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't get Live View to work at all on UDP, though it was OK on TCP. That's likely due to it requiring a different port than the one you have enabled.
No more than what I tested above.

thr

n3wb
Reaction score
How can I get live view through web interface to work for more than a minute? Any ideas? Cant find any port setting for UDP.