License Plate Camera Installation

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
They only get more expensive beyond this model for LPR.
At least from what I've seen that Andy has replied to with alternatives.
I accidently capture plates at night with a 6mm 5442 turret. But it's a fairly short distance.
The camera is looking down from 11-12 feet to a corner of a parking lot.
As the cars pass underneath the plate comes into the focal range of the Camera.
I bought a 2mp PTZ ( Jidetech) that has the optics, as my first IP cam.
The settings menu's are dismal and lack the controls provided by the 5241.
Some guy in here is capturing plates with one, but they cost the same as the 5241.....

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They only get more expensive beyond this model for LPR.
At least from what I've seen that Andy has replied to with alternatives.
I accidently capture plates at night with a 6mm 5442 turret. But it's a fairly short distance.
The camera is looking down from 11-12 feet to a corner of a parking lot.
As the cars pass underneath the plate comes into the focal range of the Camera.
I bought a 2mp PTZ ( Jidetech) that has the optics, as my first IP cam.
The settings menu's are dismal and lack the controls provided by the 5241.
Some guy in here is capturing plates with one, but they cost the same as the 5241.....
Whoops, I accidentally caught your plates LOL.

It does come down to distance and yes a 6mm at 11 feet will capture plates with the angle you have. But someone trying to catch vehicle on a street will need more optical zoom because even if you put a 6mm on a mailbox, it wouldn't be an ideal angle but you could catch many plates. For the difference between the 6mm and the Z12E, one would be better off with the Z12E to better dial in their setting.

The varifocal is the the best option in most situations so that one can minimize the angles.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you know that isn't a Dahua Chinese region hacked camera that cannot be upgraded? Just because it is stamped with Dahua logo doesn't mean it is upgradable.

Just purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY and know you have an international model that can be updated!

Many units being sold on Ali and elsewhere are Chinese hacked units (meaning the camera is an authentic Dahua camera hard coded for China but someone "hacked" the firmware to English) that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their "store front", but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example from a vendor on Ali that is upfront, but most will not be....

1634308083842.png

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no user reviews on that site and nothing much to go by. Very much an unknown entity. Here with Andy you have a site full of happy customers.

Think about returns if you get a turkey. All my equipment has arrived in good order, installed and working away. If i have a problem I've no doubt Andy will sort it.

The above gives me peace of mind.

Saying that it's your money, your gamble.

Good luck if you do

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do you know that isn't a Dahua Chinese region hacked camera that cannot be upgraded? Just because it is stamped with Dahua logo doesn't mean it is upgradable.

Just purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY and know you have an international model that can be updated!

Many units being sold on Ali and elsewhere are Chinese hacked units (meaning the camera is an authentic Dahua camera hard coded for China but someone "hacked" the firmware to English) that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example from a vendor on Ali that is upfront, but most will not be....

View attachment 104910
:goodpost:
Pretty much this. If you are buying 100 cameras, it would add up. But for buying a couple, it is not worth the potential headaches. Buy from @EMPIRETECANDY or another reputable vendor. If you have problems, you have support. You can get upgrades, if needed. If you buy 5 cameras, you would save the cost of one. If you have a single problem, you are now at a break even in terms of cash, but way behind in terms of trouble and your time.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
40USD difference, they use turtle shipping way, we ship from local US warehouse, this is the difference. 3-4 working days can be delivered.
2 YEARS real warranty, not a bad choice. Local warehouse right now also can do warranty too, looks very smoothly now.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Has a strange thing, this guy has 3 models on this link.
2mp z12e
4mp 5442e-ze and 5442t-ase. 189usd for 3 cams, that is good deal.lol @rfj

1634310407412.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It seems nobody has experience with this vendor so I will stay away.
Note: This vendor use's standard China post shipping, meaning you might receive the camera in 4-8 WEEKS.
If it gets lost, there is no tracking, that's why it's $40 cheaper.

If you order from Andy, either by direct emailing him or Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group or here: Amazon.com
You will receive it in 5 days or less, and it is trackable.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought about how that notch is made.
Interestingly enough, I think thats the way mine is built.
I hit it with the bagger on the tractor a few time whilst turning this year.
Its hanging tough. But now she's a bit loose in the hole.

Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on getting some HFW5241E-Z12E cameras to replace my Reolinks that have great picture quality but fail to capture license plates from so close. I'd like to mount the new cameras in the same locations.
I don't require zoom though, is there a HFW5241E-Z12E equivilant without the zoom? I just want the ability to read plates. I'd eventually purchase 5 so if i can save a bit of money without zoom, or not so much zoom than it would help out.

Pictures of my reolinks failing for reference.

Attachments

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on getting some HFW5241E-Z12E cameras to replace my Reolinks that have great picture quality but fail to capture license plates from so close. I'd like to mount the new cameras in the same locations.
I don't require zoom though, is there a HFW5241E-Z12E equivilant without the zoom? I just want the ability to read plates. I'd eventually purchase 5 so if i can save a bit of money without zoom, or not so much zoom than it would help out.

Pictures of my reolinks failing for reference.

You will need some zoom to get the plates. Focus them at the choke points for better results. You can also get @EMPIRETECANDY POE extender and just keep the current camera you have and the new one with the extender to a new camera to get the plates. The HFW5241E-Z12E is a nice camera and it's on sale now.

Mini POE Ettender
HFW5241E-Z12E

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Of course the reolinks failed LOL.

You need to run a fast enough shutter that your images above would be completely black except for the head/taillights and plate!

At your distance, it looks like you could use this camera that would be able to read plates up to about 40 feet away. So you will not be able to extend it as far, but it can certainly do the job within 40 feet.