Lets see your recommendations

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I want to update to ip cameras the only thing that concerns me is it bogging down the network in the house

Setup I have is the following:

Internet Down is 130 up is 50

connected to a apple extreme gen 3 from there

I have a second bridged apple extreme on the second level and then a third extreme bridged in a detached garage. all the apple extremes are hardwired.

First NVR or older computer running iris. If i go the old computer route I may have to update to a i5 or i7

Ideally I want roughly 8 cameras. so recommend away 720p or 1080p cameras

One camera in front will be for recognizing who is in my yard and one for the back yard doors. other then that most will be mounted high for wider shots to see if there is something going on.

2 for the front
1 of the side of the house
1 for the back yard
1 on the back doors
1 in the garage to watch my multiple prized toys
1 maybe 2 if i have to over lap them outside the garage for the alley since the local gang bangers like tagging peoples garages just for it to come down in a few hours. Recommendation for cameras: One thing it has to be vandal proof since the eave of the garage isn't high enough to put it out of base ball bat range. I am not really concerned if it gets broken as i expect that eventually to happen. Gotta love Chicago.

How are you guys preventing you network from crashing obviously switches and other recommendations. Basically i want to keep my network running nice smooth and fast like it is now while recording 24x7

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could always setup a separate network for the camera's. That's what I've done, and I have not noticed ANY issues on my Gigbit backbone... That's with 5 cameras recording to the BI machine which is apart of the camera network (100Mbit).

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could always setup a separate network for the camera's. That's what I've done, and I have not noticed ANY issues on my Gigbit backbone... That's with 5 cameras recording to the BI machine which is apart of the camera network (100Mbit).
If i am not mistaken for a second network basically in a nut shell connect the router and change the actual router address not the IPv4 address correct can dhcp be active on it or will that conflict with the main router?

So for instance my main internet router is 10.0.1.1 which handles dhcp the 2nd and third router address all point back to 10.0.1.1 since they are used for extending wifi and giving hard line connection if needed. So if i added a 4th router for the cameras only then I would need to change the router address to say 10.0.2.1? what about giving it access to the net for viewing outside the house also what about the subnet does that need to be changed also.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at all of Hikvision's 3MP cameras. In particular the domes and turrets since they are more vandal resistant than bullets.

No need for another router and a separate network. That only complicates things. In fact as long as your apple extremes all have gigabit network ports and your cables aren't crap then you already have a gigabit LAN and that will be able to handle all your cameras without even hitting 10% usage.

You will need one or two PoE switches which you connect the cameras to. These can be found with gigabit-speed ports but you can save some cash by getting 10/100 PoE switches and those will work just fine as long as you don't connect your NVR/PC to them. Whatever NVR/PC you use will be a heavy bandwidth user as it will be continuously receiving a bunch of HD video streams, and occasionally re-transmitting them to mobile apps and stuff for live viewing. No problem at all for a gigabit network, but potentially a problem if it is only connected at 100 Mbps.