Led Streetlights

john306

n3wb
Reaction score
Previously had the old orange {sodium?) streetlights outside our house which gave a pretty good picture at night with camera set to daytime.
They have just replaced with LED lighting and still using daytime settings at night the picture looks like a white hazy frost everywhere.
I've tried all the different light settings for night but nothing is as good as it was with the old streetlights.
Anyone else got these LED streetlights and what settings have you gone with?
Many thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you provide screenshots from before and after? We really don't know what your problem looks like.

john306

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you provide screenshots from before and after? We really don't know what your problem looks like.
Sorry can't screenshot presently.
It was just in the settings for white balance, there is flourescent, incandescent, warm light, natural light etc, but I'm assuming as they are a newish street light (around here anyway) there is no setting available. I way just wondering how folks get around this, as all the settings look way unnatural.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
I am about to get color night cameras and they took our old street light and changed it to LED.

This is at 520 am, total darkness in the neighborhood.
No flash and this is from my phone galaxy S7, so I am hoping I will not see this prob with new cameras.

I am posting this reply in hopes of finding out if my new cams I am gonna get will be a problem like the original poster

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am about to get color night cameras and they took our old street light and changed it to LED.

This is at 520 am, total darkness in the neighborhood.
No flash and this is from my phone galaxy S7, so I am hoping I will not see this prob with new cameras.

I am posting this reply in hopes of finding out if my new cams I am gonna get will be a problem like the original poster
there is no such thing as color night cameras....its a fake marketing term..
we have no idea what the problem is with OP since there is no image...unlikely to have anything to do with the type of light...

john306

n3wb
Reaction score
there is no such thing as color night cameras....its a fake marketing term..
we have no idea what the problem is with OP since there is no image...unlikely to have anything to do with the type of light...
Hi, but it is to do with the type of light as there isn't an LED option when you go into Configuration> Image> White Balance.
I've always used day setting with flourescent at night as there is always plenty of light shining at front of our house and I had colour, because that produced by far the best picture with the old sodium streetlights.
The new LED streetlights look awful with any of the WB settings available.
I just wondered what setting anyone else was using, otherwise I'll just have to go back to B&W night setting that used IR and attracts all the insects.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, but it is to do with the type of light as there isn't an LED option when you go into Configuration> Image> White Balance.
I've always used day setting with flourescent at night as there is always plenty of light shining at front of our house and I had colour, because that produced by far the best picture with the old sodium streetlights.
The new LED streetlights look awful with any of the WB settings available.
I just wondered what setting anyone else was using, otherwise I'll just have to go back to B&W night setting that used IR and attracts all the insects.
no it does not...you have yet to post a photo...most of the folks here are using LED lights to light their homes...we dont have these issues...more than likely the issue is the led lights are producing a lower lumen output.