Latest BI 5.8.15 - Hardware Acceleration Decode Disabled?

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey everyone, got an issue. 100% CPU on an 7th gen system I have been running for a friend.

12 camera system, continuous record.
i7 - 7700
No external GPU

CPU 100%... got to poking around, doing some basic overview of what is going on. Noticed the hardware acceleration on every camera is set to NO now. I change it to default and save each camera. Tried restarting BI, computer and nothing helps. When you go back into the camera settings they are all set to NO. Attempted to update to the latest version and still no change. Uninstalled codeproject.AI. thinking it was causing the cpu load... still nothing. BI is set to Intel as the settings default... need the cameras to save these changes. I have no other errors.

You guys have any other ideas I can try?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
7th gen can handle 12 cameras easily unless you are using CodeProject for every camera. Hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore and for some it can increase the CPU%

Have you done every optimization in the wiki? Substreams and direct to disc are musts.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
7th gen can handle 12 cameras easily unless you are using CodeProject for every camera. Hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore and for some it can increase the CPU%

Have you done every optimization in the wiki? Substreams and direct to disc are musts.

Most of these cameras don't support sub streams. And the CPU usage while using "Intel" was working, keeping the CPU around 33%. I only had CP.AI doing 2 cameras and was working okay until a few days ago. Program doesn't auto update so not sure what's changed. It was using "Intel". Not it's on NO.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of these cameras don't support sub streams. And the CPU usage while using "Intel" was working, keeping the CPU around 33%. I only had CP.AI doing 2 cameras and was working okay until a few days ago. Program doesn't auto update so not sure what's changed. It was using "Intel". Not it's on NO.
you have something else jacking the cpu...HA would not be sufficient to reduce a 100 percent cpu load to 33...and unless the cams are all 4k running at max fps you should not be at 100 anyway even with no substreams...
check drivers
check task manager to see what is using cpu.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris is using 100%. 8 cameras are 8mp single stream..older stuff. Ran fine tho. Only change I can see is something changed my configuration on all the camera to NO on the HA and I can't turn it back on. Something is blocking it. Fix that and we good.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have BI and Windows on auto updates? If so, something probably happened with a driver.

If not, then it could be a drive going bad.

If you are using a codec on the cameras like H265+, that could force HA to NO.

Restart BI and then post the log that shows what is happening when it starts up.

8MP cameras that don't support substream? What make/model?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is using 100%. 8 cameras are 8mp single stream..older stuff. Ran fine tho. Only change I can see is something changed my configuration on all the camera to NO on the HA and I can't turn it back on. Something is blocking it. Fix that and we good.
That is not the issue...this is the symptom of the issue...

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently updated to this BI version 5.8.1.5 ... Just checked.. all my cameras are still on hardware acceleration.

I did try disabling all my HA on the cameras, but it didn't make any difference on the CPU usage, so I re-enabled them.

I have 33 cameras and using CPAI on several cameras and my CPU usage is 6%

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris turns off hardware acceleration automatically for any camera that experiences a decoding error when using it. You should see those errors in Blue Iris's log.

Anyway the modern-day recommendation is to configure sub streams for all resource-intensive cameras (or just all cameras), and not worry about hardware acceleration because it isn't worth the trouble anymore.