IVS problem night ?

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hello, I would like to have your opinion I have a camera that works well during the day, but at night it almost detects the protection perimeter , IVS, I always leave it in automatic and it always works well, but at night it detects almost no more movements that cross the perimeter, I restarted the cam but nothing more but I have not reset the factory yet if someone has an idea thank you all and happy Christmas party

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This question pops up every now and then.
Often it's related to camera location giving a poor field of view or the IVS rules are set up in a way giving the camera a hard time.

To give some specific feedback you need to share more details like camera model, settings and pictures of the setup.

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok here are 2 photos, and the cam has been in the same place for 1 years and before everything was fine I have nothing to touch, and the model is ipc-hdw3541tmp-as5mp

cam 1.JPGcam 2.JPG

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perfect, this helps a lot!

I think (my guess!) the AI cannot determine if the object is a human night time due to the angle the camera is watching is pretty steep.

So the first tip is to disable Object filtering (filtre cible) on both tripwire and intrusion. This would probably result in false alarms from passing cats etc but you should try it as a first test.

Then I would re-draw the tripwire to make a less of a zigzag. Try one line side to side in the height of the door of the truck.
Less is more :)

It would also help if you could share a night time picture.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OP, what movement across the perimeter are you hoping for, or thinking you're missing? Could it be that no one was on your property, or were you walking around at night testing it's effectiveness when you noticed it wasn't recording?

I noticed you have a 30 second delay; why so long?

When you log into the camera, and hit "Playback", and then chose File Type:JPG, is there nothing there also?

One last thing, that someone else will need to comment on because I'm no expert - "Smart Plan", I always ensure I have a Smart Plan going 24/7. Not sure if that's required, but recently I deleted my smart plan, and boy did my captures based on my IVS rules get wonky. I missed at least an hour of what should have been non-stop captures. Once I replaced the Smart Plan, captures began flowing and the recordings commenced once more.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You need to leave space for the camera to "see" and object before it cross's a trip wire or intrusion zone.
IE: leave more room on the edges of the picture.
You can watch the live feed and see the ivs reacting in real time.
Test
I always wonder about this tip, if this is the case, what is the point of having the "appear" option?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I always wonder about this tip, if this is the case, what is the point of having the "appear" option?
In my experience, IVS has got better over the years, and for the intrusion box, the need for that buffer around hasn't been as critical. I have some cams where I have the a box that is along the border and it works just fine. But I do think field of view plays a role as well.

But the buffer zone is certainly needed for tripwires.

I think it is best to start with the buffer and then expand and test.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen IVS rules from other posts with loads of zig zags but I just have 2 rules drawn like the 2nd pic, one a tripwire and the other intrusion and my cams haven't missed anything. At the very edges I've left a gap so as already pointed out there is an area for the cam to detect a tripwire being tripped of an intrusion occurring. Difficult to see in the attached screenshot but I've drawn them both the same as I could get them.

Cam-Rules.JPG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
He said it works fine during the day but not at night.

FOV, Height and light are key. Need a nighttime pic/video clip to know more. For example he’s covering 2-3 times more area than the example by @IAmATeaf above, and dark shadows which play hell with object contrast

He needs to be sure IVS recording is set for nighttime hours.

zig zag lines do help. Particularly in large spaces

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's a video example I pulled from my 5541. The Angle is extremely bad for the AI to work, even worse than yours :p, it's mounted ~4m/12ft high on the barn soffit.
I set a intrusion box yesterday just to show.
I went pass the intrusion zone yesterday when it was dark and it missed it all times.

Now, for reference and testing I've disabled the Object filtering to see if it the intusion box will work then.
You can also see what Looney mention above, that the tripwire doesn't react when I enter the intrusion.

Next day edit: Disabling Object filtering did not help, the "hit rate" was about the same.

(this camera is only used for counting passing cars and for me to see what's going on behind the barn)

Last edited:

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to modify but 4 cameras for the IVS, I have removed the zigzag, I will see in the next night if things are better thank you again to all for the great info

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That zigzag is an interesting idea. I may borrow that for my case use, to see if it captures more triggers. Right now for animals it's the abandoned object IVS that is king. Then the tripwires are a distant second.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen IVS rules from other posts with loads of zig zags but I just have 2 rules drawn like the 2nd pic, one a tripwire and the other intrusion and my cams haven't missed anything. At the very edges I've left a gap so as already pointed out there is an area for the cam to detect a tripwire being tripped of an intrusion occurring. Difficult to see in the attached screenshot but I've drawn them both the same as I could get them.

View attachment 112150
Slightly off topic but have you got signs up and are complying with data protection?

Yep I know it's ridiculous, but this case has put the cat amongst the pigeons if you also capture public property.

Potentially £100K damages for breaching the pivacy of a neighbour by recording the street / part of her garden.