Known around here
Reaction score
Also make sure you have P2P turned OFF

P2POFF.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Assume you are home on the same network as the NVR?

If the network connection fails from the NVR machine interface, that could be your problem with the IE button as well.

so if the NVR can’t talk to your network, we need to find out why. Do you have access to the router? We need to see if it is set to hand out dhcp addresses using 192.168.1.x or if it using a different range.

Last edited:

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Assume you are home on the same network as the NVR?

If the network connection fails from the NVR machine interface, that could be your problem with the IE button as well.

so if the NVR can’t talk to your network, we need to find out why. Do you have access to the router? We need to see if it is set to hand out dhcp addresses using 192.268.1.x or if it using a different range.
yes I am at the router (although I will be leaving shortly for a few hours).
In the NVR I swtiched DHCP and it set it to 192.168.0.197 ( which is what it was before reset.) Virtual host is on. And with these settings it tests good - but I still cannot access via web browser.

The network cable is running from router to NVR. I am on a laptop with no ethernet port, but on the same wifi network.

The router is a cox machine (I work from home and any other router causes issues, yay cox). It doesnt have many user settings in the interface, but I can accessit as needed

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes I am at the router (although I will be leaving shortly for a few hours).
In the NVR I swtiched DHCP and it set it to 192.168.0.197 ( which is what it was before reset.) Virtual host is on. And with these settings it tests good - but I still cannot access via web browser.

The network cable is running from router to NVR. I am on a laptop with no ethernet port, but on the same wifi network.

The router is a cox machine (I work from home and any other router causes issues, yay cox). It doesnt have many user settings in the interface, but I can accessit as needed
Alright, so I had to go to security in the NVR and enable HTTPS security configuration.
So, I'm back in. The IE is now blue... and I'm in. Finally.

I will try to setup the IVS stuff and test again this evening.

Holy crap that was silly. Huge thanks to you folks. I'll update on how this goes.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been pulling cable for the last several hours and got them installed. The IVS does seem to be working better although i haven't gotten the alarms to send and the playback seems real goofy. I need to spend another several hours figuring out the various UIs.

It was clear that P2P being disabled is important, but why?
How do I access the feed/alerts/playback from my phone without that enabled?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont want to create a whole different thread for my newbie questions but I'm having some new issues.

In the Smart PSS under device config my email tests check good. But my alerts are not sending to email and when I click system config from the top right gear icon, the same settings fail the email test. What am I doing wrong here to get the alarm emails?

Also, still not sure how to view the cameras from my phone without P2P or why P2P being set to off is important. Can you help enlighten me?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Use SmartPSS for viewing live and playback/download of clips. Full Stop.

NVR
Network settings
Record Settings
Email

Camera
All image settings
Resolution, Bitrate. FPS, H.264H codec (check this)
Event (motion, IVS)
Day/Night schedule

Don’t mix the above.

Your questions
Setup email and test in the NVR. Because you are using a PoE NVR , all email settings are on the NVR. Ignore email settings in cameras . On the camera you do need to Make sure you tick the box on the IVS rules to send email on an event. And you need to have events (IVS, motion) set to record on the NVR

Leave the phone alerts for last. Make sure you are getting IVS to work and send an email first.
As we already saw, P2P complicates you accessing the cameras when you are NOT on your phone. There are other ways. I get email for each event and a push “ding” on my phone. Let’s start there. The phone app has more than a few bugs when it comes to push alerts. Don’t make it your primary focus yet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
BTW- “alarm” in Dahua NVRs is something altogether different. For now you care about events (IVS and/or Motion Detection with IVS being preferred. Leave MD disabled)

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use SmartPSS for viewing live and playback/download of clips. Full Stop.

NVR
Network settings
Record Settings
Email

Camera
All image settings
Resolution, Bitrate. FPS, H.264H codec (check this)
Event (motion, IVS)
Day/Night schedule

Don’t mix the above.

Your questions
Setup email and test in the NVR. Because you are using a PoE NVR , all email settings are on the NVR. Ignore email settings in cameras . On the camera you do need to Make sure you tick the box on the IVS rules to send email on an event. And you need to have events (IVS, motion) set to record on the NVR

Leave the phone alerts for last. Make sure you are getting IVS to work and send an email first.
As we already saw, P2P complicates you accessing the cameras when you are NOT on your phone. There are other ways. I get email for each event and a push “ding” on my phone. Let’s start there. The phone app has more than a few bugs when it comes to push alerts. Don’t make it your primary focus yet.
Cool, thanks! I'll dig back in with that info!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Basically the cameras will reliably push their settings to the NVR. The NVR (or SmartPSS) won’t always be so reliable the other direction. Once you start fiddling with the same settings in both, ughhh

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have finally got the IVS events to push to my email. I wound up having to go into the NVR itself to enable the recording an email as smartPSS wasnt pushing to the NVR. Not sure why but I'll take it so long as it is working.
I am definitely going to keep pushing further. I'd really like push notifications to my phone rather than email notifications, but for now this is good enough.

At some point in the near future I'm going to figure out how to hook up alarm i/o for these things. Thats totally new territory for me. I thought both cameras had built in audio but I can't get anything from the $$ night color camera. The cheaper one has audio in, though. Weird.

Again, thank you a TON for your help with this. The whole 4 GUI setup is incredibly clunky but I think I can get used to it.