IVMS4200 - Web View Plugin error on Safari/Firefox/Chrome on OSX

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am on Yosemite, and have the latest versions installed for the OSX system and all browsers.
When I use Safari to connect directly to a camera via its IP address, I can clearly see the live feed, and setup anything I want on the camera, this works great and as expected.

I have installed the IVMS4200 server, streaming server and client on a Windows 7 PC.
Everything is going great there, and all features are working as expected.
All the setup is done and working properly.

However, if I try to connect to the IVMS4200 client web address, (Enabled in the system configuration), I have issues.
When I put the IP address of the client software in Safari/Chrome/Firefox in OSX Yosemite, it will connect me fine to the client installation that is running on the server and prompt me for the login.
I will see the IVMS4200 login page, and I can successfully login there, using my Admin login.
The problem is that after login, in the middle of the page for the live View, it says:
Please click here to download and install the plug-in. Close the browser when installing the plug-in.

When I try to click on the link, nothing happens, the link does not download or open anything else at all. I have tried everything I can think of, disabled popup blockers, etc... Nothing works.
If I try to go to a different tab, system configuration for example, I cannot select the folders to save the local captures and videos...
It appears that if I connect straight to the camera from Safari, everything works as expected.
But if I try to connect to the IVMS4200 (2.3.13) client, through the web interface I can login, but cannot do anything from there other than going to the different tabs.
I have downloaded and installed manually the WebVideoPlugin.pkg, but that did not work either...

Thank you for your help.
CTF.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would rather be surprised if worked. For OSX Hikvision usually provides separate web plugins, but not so often, and the general support is rather scarce.

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand, unfortunately you seem correct.
What is odd however, is that I can view the cameras just fine from Safari if I connect directly to them...
Only when using the web remote interface, the live view, remote playback and other functions is not working.

It asks to download the plugin, but when clicking on the "link", nothing downloads...

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look at that way.. You are an end customer. You pay for a camera, and you're using OSX as a primary OS. Hikvision should ensure you have the ability to "see" the camera using your Apple device.
And the other way.. you have the camera, you're using iVMS4200 FREE software (note the word free) on your Windows PC, and you're trying to connect using MAC PC to your Windows PC. Hikvision's logic is not to invest too much recource in developing free features.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can view the cameras just fine from Safari if I connect directly to them
Presumably Safari lists the plugin that's active and providing the video in Live View. In the dropdown near the middle top of the video window. QuickTime perhaps?
As an off-the wall suggestion, maybe try installing VLC for Mac and see if it is added to the list.

Hikvision's logic is not to invest too much recource in developing free features.
I'm not sure I totally agree - though I understand where you are coming from. It's about 'adding customer value' that makes the products more attractive, without excessive development cost.
They have actually been quite thoughtful in some respects on the subject of video helper plugins - developing their Webcomponents for the dominant Windows platform, with Quicktime as an alternate.
And for Linux, a choice of VLC, Quicktime and one other that I forget ...

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the replies.

Connecting directly to the camera in Safari works great using the webcomponents.
Strangely, I cannot get it to show video if using Quicktime. (I am on Yosemite)
The video is fluent, and all the options are there and take effect when clicking Save or Apply.
I do have VLC installed.

When I connect to the client interface on the Windows server, which has the same cameras as above, from the same Safari in OSX, I can see the list of cameras, and the options tab, but in the middle of the page, it asks to click "here" to download and install it. This unfortunately does nothing...

I respectfully disagree about not wanting to expand the resources for their "free" offering.
I think that a lot of customers purchase these cameras because they are great, and because there is a solution from Hikvision for the server/client software that works very well out of the box too, on Windows...
If Hikvision did not provide this solution, they may be at risk of another vendor getting more sales as a result, if that vendor were to offer a competitive software package.
I really like the IVMS4200 client/server package.
When using the Windows client on the same server as where the server software is installed, this works great.
Since they advertise a client for OSX, I just wish that they would make it work properly there as well. :)

Thank you.