Isolating cameras from network

mbx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I built a system not too long ago and found this website to be of great assistance, but I'm having a bit of an issue and can't seem to find any existing information as to how to address it (at least in an understandable way).

System has 10 cameras, running on Milestone, I just have a server setup and everything is recorded onto there.

The problem I'm having is, with 10 cameras alongside some other devices, the network gets very congested. I need to figure out a way to isolate the cameras from the network, but still allow the computer to access them of course.

Another benefit is the security as well that this provides, although at this point I block the mac address of all the cameras on the router, preventing them from having internet access.

But anyway, is there an easy way to get rid of all this network traffic and still have everything work fine? Unfortunately I'm not well versed in networking, so creating VLANs etc I'm a little unsure about. I did read somewhere though that I can change the IP address of the cameras out of the range of the router, so it won't pick up on them. But then somehow the PC will need to?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem I'm having is, with 10 cameras alongside some other devices, the network gets very congested.
Even 10 cameras aggregated down a single Gigabit upload link (eg 10x 4-8Mbps is well under 10% capacity) won't cause congestion - unless you have a 10/100 Mbps network.
What does the network consist of?
It should be easy enough to determine the bottleneck and deal with it without having to re-engineer it all.
VLANs don't add to available traffic capacity - it's a way of logically separating traffic.
Capacity is down to the switch and router capabilities and specifications.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
VLAN for isolation is good, but 10 cameras make your network congested ?

Last edited:

mbx

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah it's peculiar. I was initially using an ISP provided modem / router (gigabit) and had a lot of issues with cameras going offline, lag etc.

I then bought a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and put the gateway in bridge and all the issues went away, which led me to believe it had to do with congestion and the router not being able to keep up.

I may need to though because of the requirements of a new internet connection at the premises revert back to using another ISP provided gateway as a router, so I can't use the EdgeRouter. I'm really hoping the issues don't occur again, but if they do I wanted to know if there was a way to deal with the problem.