Is reolink a swear word here?

Reaction score
Before finding this group, I spent a fair amount of time researching a budget friendly camera system and came across Reolink. Seems like there is so much negativity about Reolink here. I purchased the RLK8-420D4-5MP system, ran my own CAT6 wire. Im getting to the stage where I can close things up outside, terminate the ends and mount the cameras. Did I really make a bad choice buying this brand and model? I am not looking for picture perfect images, amazing capability and/or correctional facility surveillance capabilities. Should I continue with the installation or find something different? I am unable to return it.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The primary issue with ReoLink for getting the best video, is the lack of ability to set video parameters. As such, it produces decent enough video of someone walking in daylight. But when it comes to night time, it is a blur. Cheap they are, but you get what you pay for. If you want to see what time the thug broke into your car, they should work fine. If you want a picture of them, not so much. What are you looking for?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't come here before purchasing those cams!

Look at the Amcrest or Lorex line if you are really tight on budgets. They are Dahua OEM cameras, usually with a cheaper build and lower quality sensors, but at least you will be able to ID a person close to the camera.

This forum allows others to actually see videos of these cameras at locations and can then make a determination on if that is similar to their situation (lighting, distance, etc.) and would that camera be the right or wrong selection for what they are trying to achieve.

This is a still image example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1636251108235.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

The Reolinks will only be able to let you know what time something happened in the middle of the night (maybe). Look at this unofficial thread and the countless examples people have provided of the the lack of quality they get from these cameras at night...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this person a ghost or missing a leg?

1636251478411.png

You cannot get much closer to the camera than this and look at that blur (but the things not moving look great and detailed)...

1636251601736.png

Or this one where his VMS system missed him backing into his garage due to the algorithms of the camera:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Before finding this group, I spent a fair amount of time researching a budget friendly camera system and came across Reolink. Seems like there is so much negativity about Reolink here. I purchased the RLK8-420D4-5MP system, ran my own CAT6 wire. Im getting to the stage where I can close things up outside, terminate the ends and mount the cameras. Did I really make a bad choice buying this brand and model? I am not looking for picture perfect images, amazing capability and/or correctional facility surveillance capabilities. Should I continue with the installation or find something different? I am unable to return it.
Welcome @Camallaround

Q: "Is reolink a swear word here?"
A: Reolink, the company which sells it .. uses fraud, deceit, and spam to deceive potential purchasers.
( the same can be stated for many of the YT reviewers who fail to actually give a proper review of Reolink .. )

This has been well documented and discussed here. ( just check out some of the threads on it )

There has also been Reolink employees in the past pretending to be customers posting on various forums, as well as up voting pro Reolink posts. ( Astroturfing )

Post: ".. Im getting to the stage where I can close things up outside .."
A: I hope you ran N+1 cables to reach location. If not, and you can run an additional cable, I would highly recommend doing so before you wrap up.

Also, now is a great time to test your positions, as some probably can use a bit of an adjustment.

Q: "Did I really make a bad choice buying this brand and model?"
A: Yes

If you need low light image capture .. definitely yes. 100%.

Reolink is also a poor option if you need to add one better camera to a Reolink NVR kit .. as Reolink makes a very limited set of cameras, and Reolink NVRs do not work well with other cameras.

Naturally, some will find a cheap IP PoE kit significantly better than none, and if they are on a super tight budget and only need daytime images.. well, perhaps that works well enough for them.

For most of us, we find that Reolink is not able to perform to the level we need it to.

Q: " I am not looking for picture perfect images, amazing capability and/or correctional facility surveillance capabilities."
Reply: What are you looking from a functional point of view?

Spend the least amount of money to hit a check box? ( like, systems uses PoE Cat6 cables? )

This is the most important item you should take some time on.

What do you want / need / expect a security camera system to do for you?

Q: " Should I continue with the installation or find something different?"
Reply: This really depends on what you answered for above. What do you need or want the security cameras to do for you?

Reply: This is why you want to 1st determine what you want the kit to functionally do, and then fully test a kit quickly so you can return it if it fails to do what you need / want.
( note, most people new to security cameras over imagine what a security camera can do .. best for most people to just pick up one decent camera and start to learn before spending money on a complete setup .. )

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say a swear word, more that on this forum we know that you can easily do better.

A few of my neighbour have Reolink and other cams which they are more than happy with, that is until they see other footage and then begin to ask questions.

We had a spate of car door checkers and catalytic converter thefts and posted footage from my cams and I got asked what cams I have as the clips were so much better.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Until a year you could get (acceptable) results out of a reolink kit, but then they decided to remove any helpful features to optimize the cameras. Sure you could get better cameras, but mostly they cost double the price.
Most people complain about reolink here not only because of their poor image quality. The more problem is that they are 100% incompatible with any other system. You get a picture on blueiris, synology or whatever. But its not the same as on the reolink nvr and some functions like motion detection do not work. The motion detection / ai features on the reolink system itself are a complete lie. they are behind 10-15 years to any dahua/hikvision system.
Also you cannot add any other camera to your reolink system, because they want you to stick to reolink forever.

The price on reolink systems are low because they use only cheap components. The cheap price comes with low power/performance ... the newer models from reolink are more expensive than the old ones. They need more power to give you "AI features" (LOL) and more pixels which comes with a higher price.

Even on reolinks own nvr their "software optimization" will give you awful results in night. They made software changes to trick the customer. You get a crystal clear freeze frame without any motion, but when it comes to motion, reolink will only show you ghosts at night. Even at day they start to blurr. Like already said they removed the ability to change shutter/gain completely in newer firmware so you cannot even dial in better settings.

Most people fail to
  • find the right places for the cameras
  • use a proper focal lenght
  • configure their cameras

Even the best cameras will give you shitty results when mounted wrong. Some people have 1/3 of their image or more with their roof, trees or bushes. you get no information out of these parts, so why have it on your image? also they will have an influence on exposure.

Selecting the right focal lenght is tricky. Many suggest here 2.7-12mm if the mounting point is unclear. But up 12mm is really little zoom or less you might think. Even after planning and testing you could fail. I did last week. Now i have 1/3 of the image with parts i dont need and want, but its already at max zoom. Something went wrong when testing at one location and now its obvious that i need a 8-32mm instead of 2.7-12mm. But its already mounted, the z4e bullet is not available in black, we have winter here etc. So i will leave it for now and maybe change it to z4e next year.

Also running the "best" camera in automode will maybe give you the same quality as a cheap reolink. So you need to dial in settings which no one can tell you, because they are specific to your case.

Last edited:

NielK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It really depends what you want the cameras for. My parents have a set of Reolink cameras and they are very happy with them but their use case is very different to most that you will read about in the forum. They are mainly interested in looking at / spotting wildlife around the house in the day time. They are also interested in wildlife at night but aren't too bothered about detailed quality. And they live in a crime-free area where people don't bother locking their doors at night so they don't care about being able to identity people interfering with their property. For this particular scenario, the Reolinks are cheap and cheerful, easy to setup and good enough.

(My use case is similar, except that I want good quality images of the wildlife at night. I switched to Dahua 5442s after starting with cheap Longse cameras.)

As noted by many already (here and in other threads), if you want the cameras to record moving people/things at night with even reasonable clarity, you will struggle to get useful video out of your Reolinks unless you can provide lots of floodlighting that turns night back into day.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Also their support is full of lies and they will stop answering you at a certain point.
If you ask too much on their reddit sub how you can improve the image / why AI features are not as advertised / why you cannot change shutter/gain / why they removed features / why you cannot change iframe...
you get this:

too many questions.PNG

They remove everything and everyone which is not "i like reolink" or people who questions wrong things.
They want to live in their own echo chamber.

Even worse.. if you dont buy on amazon you cannot return your order. they claim that you can but they do not provide you a returning address if you order direct from them. There are people who had to open a chargeback claim on their creditcard to return the reoshit. They only care if you buy on amazon, because they cannot really control whats posted there.

spotting wildlife
even at day some reolink models tends to blurr because you cannot set any shutter settings and they are running at >50ms / 100 gain at DAY (ok maybe a bit exaggerated). this will give you a bright image for sure, but also blurr.
yesterday someone posted a video of cars at around 50kmh/30mph ... they started to blurr at daytime

also unchangeable iframe intervall will give you some problems even using reolink nvr with moving objects even at daytime.

They are asking for help on reddit reoshit-sub and they will always get the same answers:

Update firmware, you are the fault, my reolink is fine, never seen this, update firmware, reset, change sd card, wifi signal problems, faulty camera

LOL

Look at this poor shit (motion trigger recording):
View attachment 2021-09-23_reolinkcam - why are the films coming out blotchy and with glitches.mp4

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just adding yet another thread someone created to this unofficial master list.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just adding yet another thread someone created to this unofficial master list.

You’ve linked back to this thread?

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Sooooo happy I found this place before buying subpar crap.

100% in on BI5 and Dahua (EmpireTech/Loryta/some OEM Dahua).

Just think from a manufacturer and competitive perspective, do you really think Reolink has the capability to outsmart Dahua/Hikvision by offering equivalent cameras at this price, when a Dahua/HIK is 4 or 5 times the price.

Capturereo.PNG

knedit2

n3wb
Reaction score
Their battery powered argus cameras are pretty good for specific situations, i use them to watch wildlife. If you are looking for any other situation then you can do better though.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Their battery powered argus cameras are pretty good for specific situations, i use them to watch wildlife. If you are looking for any other situation then you can do better though.

For me, its a little bit too less exposed. I like my objects bright as heaven.

Everytime some reolink thread got posted here, some people register and say how good reolink cameras are.
not sure how many email addresses hookup has for register :rofl:

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agree, any terribly quality camera is perfect for a situation that is not security.

As this thread mentions; Reolink is last choice for quality (useable) images.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
2 cams=76usd is good price, but keeps bring troubles, you may cost bit more time and money to figure it yourself or ask installer to come adjust/fixing up,
The sytem is to protect your property, so make sure they are really stable, like you buy insurance just in case,
@user8963 post the video is a very good lesson, if they are a gang of bad boys and move very fast, the camera is totally useless.
Those cams for fun no problem,like watch dogs, cats, but for real security , those consumer cams still have a long way to go.