Is ONVIF universally compatible?

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having trouble linking my Vivotek cameras to NVR.
I tried a Evtevision, which couldn't get the signal from the cameras.
I ordered a different brand, this time a Amcrest, but it can't get the feed from the cameras either.

Is the ONVIF protocol supposed to be universally compatible regardless of which make?
I'm suspecting that maybe Vivotek cameras only work with their own brand of NVR, which they make.

Is there a desktop/mobile ONVIF viewer app that can test whether my cameras operate on proper ONVIF protocol?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Short answer: no

Long answer: maybe, ONVIF standard should be standard across vendors, however many vendors "extended" their ONVIF interpretations which makes interoperability difficult. Which turns out, in reality, that Dahua NVRs should stick to Dahua cameras, and Amcrest with Amcrest cameras.

Now the good news: download ONVIF Device Manager which queries your whole network (or specific devices) and lists the ONVIF compatibilities, however if the NVR refuses the link, you're doomed anyway.

Good luck!
CC

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
ONVIF was supposed to mean universal compatibility, but unfortunately due to bugs in any given vendor's implementation, nothing is guaranteed. I personally blame politics and the needlessly complex ONVIF standards for making it difficult to implement and test properly.

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now the good news: download ONVIF Device Manager which queries your whole network (or specific devices) and lists the ONVIF compatibilities, however if the NVR refuses the link, you're doomed anyway.

Good luck!
CC
I downloaded the ONVIF Device Manager. It is able to list all of my cameras, along with a video feed.
Does that mean that the cameras operate on "standard" ONVIF?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I downloaded the ONVIF Device Manager. It is able to list all of my cameras, along with a video feed.
Does that mean that the cameras operate on "standard" ONVIF?
Well ONVIF Device Manager is a "smart" ONVIF search&find stream reader. Now you can analyse the specifications of that camera. If you now go into the settings of your NVR (add ONVIF camera), can you enter "specifics" (eg ports/paths) of that ONVIF Device Manager into the add-camera-window?

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well ONVIF Device Manager is a "smart" ONVIF search&find stream reader. Now you can analyse the specifications of that camera. If you now go into the settings of your NVR (add ONVIF camera), can you enter "specifics" (eg ports/paths) of that ONVIF Device Manager into the add-camera-window?
On my NVR, I can edit the channel, IP address, RTSP Mode, Port, and the server type.
But where can I find the "paths" of the camera? Does that mean the IP address?

Also, the "Network settings" link leads to "The underlying connection was closed: The connection was lost unexpectedly".
Does that signify anything?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In ONVIF Device Manager -
The RTSP path can be seen at the bottom of the Live Video page. Omit the IP address.
The 'ONVIF port' can be seen in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In ONVIF Device Manager -
The RTSP path can be seen at the bottom of the Live Video page. Omit the IP address.
The 'ONVIF port' can be seen in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
At the bottom of the Live Video page says rtsp:/192.168.1.14/live.sdp.
Is the path "live.sdp" then?
But where do I put this information in the NVR?
My NVR isn't asking for the path.

BTW, the Live Video page is blank, with "no signal" sign in the middle.
What does this mean?

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having trouble linking my Vivotek cameras to NVR.
I tried a Evtevision, which couldn't get the signal from the cameras.
I ordered a different brand, this time a Amcrest, but it can't get the feed from the cameras either.

Is the ONVIF protocol supposed to be universally compatible regardless of which make?
I'm suspecting that maybe Vivotek cameras only work with their own brand of NVR, which they make.

Is there a desktop/mobile ONVIF viewer app that can test whether my cameras operate on proper ONVIF protocol?
ONVIF is usually an open standard, hence if the camera supports ONVIF and the NVR supports ONVIF you can mix and swap.

There's a tool 'Onvif Manager' or similar to download, whihc allows you to connect to the camera using the ONVIF protocol to see if it supports this stack.