Is Hikvision etc safe?

cenfl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since the FCC looks like it is ready to ban Hikvision and others, are there any exploits that people are aware of that have happened to Hikvision NVR etc. I'm still leary
everytime I give localservicecontrol.exe permission to run. Are there better/safer easy alternatives? Cheers,

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Since the FCC looks like it is ready to ban Hikvision and others, are there any exploits that people are aware of that have happened to Hikvision NVR etc. I'm still leary
everytime I give localservicecontrol.exe permission to run. Are there better/safer easy alternatives? Cheers,
You can use any of the half dozen VMS software and run it on a computer - done.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not consider anything created by a Chinese company that isn't completely open source safe, so I just treat it as such

Cameras have their own VLAN, no internet access, strict firewall rules on the NVR

They are stuck on their little island and can't do anything

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
are there any exploits that people are aware of that have happened to Hikvision NVR etc.
Here is a really big very recent one :

And an external report on it :

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Costco stuff is more Chinese cameras. So don't think Hikvision/Dahua is the only problem.

I would consider a security risk with Chinese brands like Shenzhen Reo-link (Reolink) cameras because the people that buy them have no idea how to stop them from sending information back home to China.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That ban is crazy government thinking they are eliminating the potential of hacking by the Chinese government without addressing the real issue.

Hacking vulnerabilities are the same regardless of who makes the cameras...or any IoT for that matter...and that is why most of us here isolate our cameras from the internet...it's just irony that they are surveillance cameras...it flows better saying security cameras are not very secure but many here do not consider them security cameras as they are for surveillance!

And our wonderful government decided to ban Hikvision and Dahua from government installations due to being partly owned by the Chinese government and the potential to be hacked...yet fail to recognize the real problem are the cameras can be breached and then they get exploited with other manufacturer cameras because they failed to isolate them from the internet. End result is people/governments that shouldn't see the camera feeds are now seeing them...

Yep, instead of our government forbidding public agencies from using Chinese brand cameras like Dahua and Hikvision because they could be used to be spied on by the Chinese government, they should have been looking at what the real issue is, and it is this issue that will be same regardless of who makes a camera. You need to get the cameras off the internet period.

We have already seen countless examples where governments facilities that installed expensive AXIS cameras that are built in the US were hacked into....

Keep your cameras off the internet, regardless of who makes it, is the best thing you can do.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm, From my idea, these big brand company's product still much safer compare to those 20-30usd cams.
HIKvision or dahua Camera still have lots of parts by US companies or Japanese companies, there has a lot of talking here how to protect your systems safe.
Big companies always more reliable, lots of security guys watch on it, small brands no one care.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t the real issue that the big Chinese companies have to get into bed with the government whether they like it or not and is this any different to for example Boeing and the US government?

I’ve done a lot of work for local government here in the UK and some or their internal IT solutions would shock but at the same time they demand the earth and the moon from an external supplier.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what standalone nvr is everyone recommending these days? Been running hikvision for years. Of course its not opened to the internet.
I also run a blue iris system so im very familiar with it.

Looking to update my older hikvision 7616e2 and simply wondering what I should go for. Would love everyone's opinions!