Is ColorVu any decent or more of a gimmick?

Spirch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i got the 4k one, 2087g2, compared to what i had (only black & white during the night) i think i will switch another one when the 2387g2 is more available (turret)

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ColorVU, Starlight, StarLight+, Full Color and all those terms are nothing more than marketing terms, no matter what brand is involved. Resolution, sensor size and the F stop of the lens are what govern the night vision capabilties. Even the listed minimum lux numbers are usually overstated. Chase sensor size, not resoltuion.

1/3" = .333" 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) 8MP
ok so what math did you use to come up with them numbers?

And the one camera has a 4MP Starlight:4MP, 1/3” CMOS image sensor how is a 1/3" sensor 4MP

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you divide 1 by 3 the result is .333, in this case inches.

A 4MP on a 1/3" sensor will be essentially blind at night. A 4MP camera needs a 1/1.8" sensor to have good night vision with either minimal visible light for color or IR light for black and white.

From a Dahua 5442T-AS. The fox is 30-40 feet from the camera -

fox1.JPG

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going by Dahua website the IPC-T5442TM-AS is at it's end of life? Is it still worth a buy or would i be better off buying whatever it's replacement is?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hopefully Looneytunes doesnt see this Iphone screen photo of the 2 camera's. .....
ya know, you can right click on the image in BlueIris, 'Snapshot', and get a JPG so you don't need to mess with cellphone pictures off the screen... or, Convert/Export... and get a MP4 file you can upload as a video.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ya know, you can right click on the image in BlueIris, 'Snapshot', and get a JPG so you don't need to mess with cellphone pictures off the screen... or, Convert/Export... and get a MP4 file you can upload as a video.
took the friggin pic 6 GD months ago, when my BI machine was isolated from the net. Before the Snip n Sketch Nazi's got down on me....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@fullboogie - what are the shutter and other settings? I can make a cheap $20 camera look like noon at midnight, but motion is a blur.

Please post a video of motion with the color as that is what is most important feature. Too many people get fascinated with a great static image, but then motion is complete crap.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
heres a EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE at max 12mm zoom, me walking around in the dark, i do my U turn about 120 or 140 feet from the camera. There is an IR illuminator 30 deg spotlight off to the left aimed at the driveway entrance, Its completely black out there. The road with the cars driving by are at 160 feet or so.

night settings include, default for all 'picture' settings, exposure: shutter priority, 1/60, exposure comp 65, smart IR on, auto iris on, 3D NR on, advanced 3D 45, advanced 2D 25, backlit settings off.

edit, btw, let me say, these are NOT optimal settings by any stretch, they are just 'good enough' for me, so I haven't dinked further with them. yet,

Last edited:

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fullboogie - what are the shutter and other settings? I can make a cheap $20 camera look like noon at midnight, but motion is a blur.

Please post a video of motion with the color as that is what is most important feature. Too many people get fascinated with a great static image, but then motion is complete crap.
I've done live walk around with both cameras and I was very pleased with the ColorVu. I'll see if I can get a video of that camera as soon as I can. Unfortunately I did not keep any walk around videos from the old camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the B&W Image as the colour picture has some serious purple fringing or ( chromatic aberration ) which spoils it.
Maybe a little, agreed.
But the huge increase in the fine detail of the image totally trumps the aesthetics.
That, after all, is why we have the CCTV cameras.