IR Illuminators vs LED Dusk to Dawn Lights

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most people here opt for the natural while light above 5,000k.

This camera is considered a warm white, so more in the 3,000k range.

Any light is better than no light, so at the end of the day, I suggest go with what works for your house, location, and WAF lol.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Did a bunch of testing two nights ago trying to find the best night exposures for my environment. I tried many, many combinations and this is what ended up being the best. I use external IRs for all of my 5231s with on-board IR turned off.

Attachments

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This bad boy: (8MP on a 1/1.2 sensor)

Holy shit, that sounds amazeballs...

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Completely manual with shutter range and gain fixed at 50 was not as good for some reason.
I have one like that too. Don't know why but shutter priority just ends up being a better image for whatever reason. Camera seems to adjust something else on its own that I can't get to be quite the same with manual.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Slight resurrection here, but since you mentioned the camera that I am currently trying to find flood lighting for and this is a lighting thread as well ..

It is mentioned that we want 'white' light, but do you have a temperature in mind that's optimal?

I'd like to find something like an LED flood on Amazon, and get this thing kicking butt at night. I have several outlets on my deck spaces, so I can just plug a flood in, and play with positioning as I go to find the best arrangement.

I'm staying with 'colour' day/night, and this is the 4K-X so I don't require IR. And I don't think I want to bath the yard in bright lights. Attracting attention is not any objective of mine. But I do need enough so the camera can operate optimally or close at night.

Thanks
I have 4 areas of my yard illuminated with 4x - 5000k LED floodlights ( 3x 150W (13,000 lumens advertised each) , 1x 120W wall pack) for my 5442 cameras out to ~30-45 feet in an otherwise pitch black area. I run full color at night on them. Bought mine off amazon. The 150W ones are the three panel Stasun's. I'm happy with them. I have them mounted at least 25ft off the ground.

Decent color night images are so nice, I get spoiled with them when seeing my other cams using IR still :)