IR Illuminators Options / Suggestions

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
An Australian retailer quoted me $300 delivered for the Raytec Vario2 i2 PoE illuminator.
That doesn't sound too unfair, if you believe the specs it would appear it has a greater maximum range compared to the GJD Small IS Plus, if it actually delivers on that.

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
using a standard POE switch, what is the most powerful iR illuminator they can safetly power?

I have a zyxel gs1900-8hp with a power budget of 70 watts.
it will be powering 5 cams (avg 5watts per)
leaving me with 45 watt headroom for a couple ir illuminators

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
using a standard POE switch, what is the most powerful iR illuminator they can safetly power?

I have a zyxel gs1900-8hp with a power budget of 70 watts.
it will be powering 5 cams (avg 5watts per)
leaving me with 45 watt headroom for a couple ir illuminators
That is a POE+ switch, so each port can do a max of 15.4 watts.

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my idea for the ir illuminator was to place it up at the very peak of the center roof peak. this in my mind would blow out the whole front yard giving illumination to all 3 cameras. door, PTZ and 5321... maybe even a plate reading camera facing cul-de-sac since that's the only means of casing my property. your thoughts?
20170317_170016.jpg 20170317_165118.jpg

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Free shipping 850nm WideAngle Manual focus angle 10 90 Degree 3pcs LED Array IR illuminator lamp light for sport and cctv camera-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

that one is a lil less powerfull than mine, 7.4W vs 10W, but it should be eaiser to use with a PoE splitter as my 10W one likes to overload em if used with a camera.
I am learning about ir illuminators and read that different cameras can see different wavelengths.. 720nm, 850nm 950nm.

is there a wavelength that you found works best with the starlight?
I saw in another thread you talk about the light coming from the same angle as the camera... should I not be trying to flood my front lawn to cover 3 cameras?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the more IR the better; the camera will adjust perfectly fine.. 850nm works best, havent tried 720nm anywhere.. might be a bit more power effective but the illuminators will appear brighter I suspect.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you would need a quite powerfull ir fixture or multiple lighter ones if you want to light out the whole front part before that house.

Perhaps my limited test videos give you some help.
I use these: Scene Electronics(HK)Co., Ltd - Products - S-SG6P-IR PoE IR Illuminator - Scene,Infrared illuminator,Infrared-ray night vision video camera,CCDLEDLamp board.Infrared Lamp board,High clear with lifrared ray an d night_sight came,Infrared Night Vision Assembly Cover,White light lamp
10 watts and can be ordered in 30,60,90 and 120 degrees. (POE, $34)
They have more fancy types which can be mounted together with bracket, and also more powerfull ones.

I tested them over water, so the first 20 meter of water does not reflect back anything.

Look at: Thoughts on this mains powered IR illuminator

You can see how much better the 30 degree unit lights out the vegetation at that distance compared to the 90 degrees.
The ir gun type of the last videos is a 3.6 watt type, so less powerfull than the type nyar uses.. I think that one is only usefull for lpr when zoomed in completely.

Perhaps look for a type like this to light out comple front of house: Scene Electronics(HK)Co., Ltd - Products - S-H123-IR IR Illuminator - Scene,Infrared illuminator,Infrared-ray night vision video camera,CCDLEDLamp board.Infrared Lamp board,High clear with lifrared ray an d night_sight came,Infrared Night Vision Assembly Cover,White light lamp

Last edited:

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently picked up this high power 8 LED IR light from ebay. Trying to get more light on my trailer in the very far view. This unit operates off of 120VAC, even though it was marked with 220VAC. It has the regular US 3 prong plug, so it does not need ext power supply. This light is probably too bright for small or close applications. The bad thing with these types of light is the photo-sensor is mounted inside next to the IR LEDs. It works OK when it automatically turns itself on and off at dawn and dusk, but if power is cycled when dark, the light will oscillate. The photosensor must detect the LEDs when they turn on then thinks the sun is up, then turns off the light, on/off over and over. You would probably end up with a strobe show during night power outages. Not good. Need to look for lights with photosensor mounted external to where IR LEDs are. Would not really recommend this light. Might try to add a sleeve around the photosensor to isolate it from IR.

IR Infrared Illuminator US Plug AC 110V 8LEDs 263Ft Night Vision Fr CCTV Camera | eBay

View w/o any external IR, except from IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology cam
Normal Outside No Ext IR.jpg

View w/ IR light Near Position
100ZL IR Light Near Position.jpg

View w/ IR light Mid Position
100ZL IR Light Mid setting.jpg

View w/ IR light Far Position
100ZL IR Light Far Position.jpg

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently picked up this high power 8 LED IR light from ebay. Trying to get more light on my trailer in the very far view. This unit operates off of 120VAC, even though it was marked with 220VAC. It has the regular US 3 prong plug, so it does not need ext power supply. This light is probably too bright for small or close applications. The bad thing with these types of light is the photo-sensor is mounted inside next to the IR LEDs. It works OK when it automatically turns itself on and off at dawn and dusk, but if power is cycled when dark, the light will oscillate. The photosensor must detect the LEDs when they turn on then thinks the sun is up, then turns off the light, on/off over and over. You would probably end up with a strobe show during night power outages. Not good. Need to look for lights with photosensor mounted external to where IR LEDs are. Would not really recommend this light. Might try to add a sleeve around the photosensor to isolate it from IR.

IR Infrared Illuminator US Plug AC 110V 8LEDs 263Ft Night Vision Fr CCTV Camera | eBay

View w/o any external IR, except from IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology cam
View attachment 16515

View w/ IR light Near Position
View attachment 16516

View w/ IR light Mid Position
View attachment 16517

View w/ IR light Far Position
View attachment 16518

Damn that thing is bright, " but if power is cycled when dark, the light will oscillate." I think this happens with my PTZ lol but it's odd it's like if I have the IR set for lowest sensitivity, it keeps turning on and off like it's picking up it's own light kinda spazzes out, if I set it on mid sensitivity it seems to make it fairly stable. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this, I think it's because mine is still inside on the test rig waiting for the right bracket but yeah.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The type i have have the light sensor on the back. Perhaps it kicks in little to early if that is heavy shaded, but in the test i done so far inside they switch over like expected , and than there is also no direct ceiling light shining on them.

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Free shipping 850nm WideAngle Manual focus angle 10 90 Degree 3pcs LED Array IR illuminator lamp light for sport and cctv camera-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

that one is a lil less powerfull than mine, 7.4W vs 10W, but it should be eaiser to use with a PoE splitter as my 10W one likes to overload em if used with a camera.
I've got a similar unit. I cannot find the spec for what size screw to use to mount this. I picked up a 1/4"-20, which I assumed was the standard size and it does not fit. What size is this?

Does anyone have a favorite mount similar to this one that will work with these illuminators? I think they may be 6mm.

Amazon.com: Panavise 845-246W Deluxe Micro Mount (Cream): Car Electronics

TIA

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.