IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!
I'll bet that the feed from the mains downconvertor isn't HiPot isolated, and one of those wires is directly connected to the incoming mains. Hopefully the neutral wire.
Is the case connected to earth/ground? The only insulation seems to be the screen print on the heatsink plate.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That 3-lens, 5-80 degree adjustable focus 850nm light from Aliexpress looks like one I got several years ago. Cheaply made, of course; the angle adjustment knob was very stiff but it did work. Eventually an internal circuit failed and I cut it open to have a look. Interestingly, most of the interior volume is a cylindrical finned heatsink that the three IR LEDs sit on, and the whole thing slides back and forth inside the case behind the lenses, to change the illumination angle.
View attachment 52450
So, would you Purchase these again ??? on sale ATM $45

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, would you Purchase these again ??? on sale ATM $45
I have another one that I'm still using. For $45 I think it's a reasonable value if you need that much range. Almost all IR lights on the market are some kind of wide-angle, short effective range floodlight. There isn't much else out there with that tight a beam and long effective range, unless you make one yourself.

ernest1974

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 11323

Sample Video of the 4500mW IR Cannon going through adjustments manually.. the cannon is just a nickname, it could also be considered an IR Laser as this is basically what you'll find on those cameras.

Camera: 4MP Dahua w/6mm Optics (HFW4421D-AS)

Places to buy, these will get ~$60 on sale:
CCTV 5 90 Adjustable Focus 4500mW Surveillance IR Illuminator LED Array 850nm 10 100M-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Is this still performing well? Any alternatives?
I really like the ability to narrow the beam and adjust it as required.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Is this still performing well? Any alternatives?
I really like the ability to narrow the beam and adjust it as required.
Thank you.
You do realize that you are posting to a 3-year-old stale thread, right?

Also, the OP has not been on this sight for several years. He is not going to answer your question.

ernest1974

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You do realize that you are posting to a 3-year-old stale thread, right?

Also, the OP has not been on this sight for several years. He is not going to answer your question.
Yes I realize, thank you.
Looking for fresh insight on the topic from anyone.