IPC-T5442T-ZEB disables ability to paste into password

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY , I got one of your IPC-T5442T-ZEB cameras off Amazon. On both Mac & PC, using the Chrome browser, it seems that I cannot paste a password into the login screen, either with a right-click "paste" or "paste as plain text" selection or using ctrl-v. When doing any of these actions, nothing is actually pasted or changes in the display. I have ensured that I am only copying plain text, in case the issue was pasting html content. I am able to paste into the username field, but not into the password field. This inability to paste a password also prevents password managers like 1Password from working, which in turn makes it difficult to use longer, more secure passwords.

The firmware is V2.800.0000000.19.R, Build Date: 2020-07-09. For everyone else's benefit, I believe this is effectively an updated version of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that I also own and believe many of you also have.

This would seem to be an intentional effort, perhaps trying to limit spam-bots from auto-populating the password. While I appreciate most any effort to block spam-bots, this will encourage users to use only simple, short passwords that can be remembered and typed quickly. The inability to use a password manager is a big downside.

I realize some people may seldom (or never) use the html login screen, so they wouldn't care about the inability to paste passwords and they would like this "feature." But for those of us who do login to the html screen, this is a painful regression. Ironically, I wouldn't care if I couldn't paste into the username (which might also stop spam-bots), since I can easily remember my username. However, it's difficult-to-impossible to remember a good password so I'd really like to retain the ability to paste into the password field.

@EMPIRETECANDY Do you know if this was intentional, or is there some way to allow pasting passwords again? If this was intentional, perhaps Dahua can make it an optional setting for users who want it? Or disable pasting into the username, but allow pasting into the password?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I get around this with an Autohotkey script. Whenever I want to log into a camera I just hit a single key. This script maps the calculator launch key to fill in the camera's username and password. Pretty much any keyboard key can be used to trigger the script.

Launch_App2::
Send,admin <password>{Enter}{Enter}
Return

(the blank space after "admin" is a tab)

probot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello @EMPIRETECANDY. This is still a problem in V2.800.15OG004.0.R
Can this be fixed or raised with dahua please?
Failing to work with password managers is a very unhelpful bug.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i've having this same issue with Chrome and its built in password management on the IPC-T2431T-AS-3.6mm I just deployed to test. Can't save the password in the browser, can't even copy/paste it, and the camera password I chose is a gnarly mixed everything random string.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ok, firefox allows the paste but doesn't remember it (although, I'm not logging onto Mozilla, so maybe its not doing any password caching)... oh i see, with FF if you're not using the mozilla cloud sync, you have to manually add the site to the passwords thing, THEN It works.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
On firefox, the first time you log in it should pop up a box to ask if you want to save. Click save and it will be there next time you log in.
No I do not use the cloud sync passwords.

Reaction score
This is still the case with chrome current version and keepersecurity - or just plain old paste from clipboard. Really really annoying to have to open up the password record in another window so that I can retype it since it's way too long to remember. Worse yet, if I try to switch tabs and do a few characters at a time, it clears the field so the only way to do it is another window with both visible at the same time. Ridiculous.

eattolive

n3wb
Reaction score
I wrote the following Chrome-only bookmarklet to work around this.

First, the setup:
- Go to Bookmark Manager (chrome:/bookmarks)
- Click the "..." menu at the top of the page
- Click "Add New Bookmark"
- Name the bookmark something like "Dahua password paste"
- Paste the snippet that follows "Code:" into the URL field.

CAREFUL: Don't go installing bookmarklets you don't trust -- hackers can and do use them to steal credentials. So, maybe read the code first? ;)

To use, just do these steps:
- Go to the camera URL
- Click Bookmarks -> "Dahua password paste"
- Paste your password

Code:
javascript:(function() {

var elt = $("login_psw");
while (elt) {
    if (elt.removeAttribute) {
        elt.removeAttribute('onpaste');
    }
    var lsts = getEventListeners(elt)["paste"];
    if (lsts) {
        lsts.each(function (lst) {
            elt.removeEventListener('paste', lst.listener, lst.useCapture);
        });
    }
    elt = elt.parentNode;
}

})();

mazas

n3wb
Reaction score
While workarounds and alternatives might work, it really would be better if the camera allowed pasting. Indeed, nowadays you should really not even try to remember the passwords, they must be unique and hard. What might be the best way to get Dahua's attention?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How often do you need to access the cams directly that this becomes a problem?

Agree that these days passwords should be complex but if the cams are on an isolated network then you could relax the complexity of the password?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While workarounds and alternatives might work, it really would be better if the camera allowed pasting. Indeed, nowadays you should really not even try to remember the passwords, they must be unique and hard. What might be the best way to get Dahua's attention?
The simple solution is to make a really easy password. The password does not secure the camera. It should never be exposed directly to the internet via port forward or p2p. I still have older cams in use when dauha allowed 12345....or admin as the password and no forced change.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The pain in the neck is the number of keystrokes with the minimum password length of 8 characters. Complexity requirement isn't too bad:
"The password has to consist of two kinds of character type."

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using a complicated password is great for security, but not practical when larger numbers of cameras need to be accessed. One method is to use the same password for all cameras. Plus use a password that is easy to remember and enter.

One suggestion is to use a group of four letters plus four numbers. Say 5555wwww or some combination that could be 5w5w5w5w, 55ww55ww or 555www5w and throw in a few caps if security is of concern.

Considering that the cameras are all isolated from the the internet, camera access passwords become less important.

If using a password manager, then only input part of the password and when the password is auto filled add the memorized secret part to complete the password. i.e. x83Q@#Dn*k/b!MJ and add from memory DqY

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you don't want to use Fenderman's suggestion, create an Excel or word document for passwords, save it and simply copy and paste (ctrl V).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you don't want to use Fenderman's suggestion, create an Excel or word document for passwords, save it and simply copy and paste (ctrl V).
That is the entire issue, you can’t copy and paste? So can’t use a password manager with complex passwords?

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
You can similarly use any proper password manager for that.

The issue, which I've seen myself, as noted in the OP is that you are unable to paste into the password field of the web UI as the UI itself is preventing that.

For the 5.0 UI this does work, but for 4.0 and 3.0 it does not and you need to type in the password manually. My experience is that this is the same for both Chrome and Firefox.

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
@probot which PW manager are you using. I use 1Password and have no issues with logging into any of my Dahua systems with it
Which cameras and UI versions?

I too use 1Password and with anything other than the latest 5.0 UI I must type in the password manually. At least 1PW makes it easier with the 'Large Type' option to display a password - it truly is large, each character is separated and numbered, and it stays on top of all other windows. Even with these aging eyes I don't find it a real issue even with a long-and-strong password (24+ chars).

Properly isolating and restricting IP cams only helps mitigate the risks that drive long-and-strong passwords. I don't use the web UI often enough that this is anything more than a minor inconvenience so I generally have a unique PW for each device, and those are indeed long-and-strong. Each case is different, and if one needs to actually login to the camera web UI often then length and complexity may warrant being reduced, particularly if there are already proper isolation practices followed.

In the end the first question that needs to be answered is "How much do I care if someone is able to login and take control of my camera?". For an outdoor surveillance cam looking at a driveway the concern may be low, but an indoor surveillance cam inside a personal home (baby monitor?) is an entirely different case.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the end the first question that needs to be answered is "How much do I care if someone is able to login and take control of my camera?". For an outdoor surveillance cam looking at a driveway the concern may be low, but an indoor surveillance cam inside a personal home (baby monitor?) is an entirely different case.
If the cameras are not isolated from the internet, they don't want your camera to look at your driveway....it is being used for BOT attacks or worse.

If the cameras are isolated from the internet, then the only way someone can see an inside camera feed is if they are in the home and thus wouldn't need the feed LOL.

Don't let the cameras access the internet and then make the password simple and the same for every camera and it is faster than opening up a file and doing a copy and paste LOL.