IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would it be wrong to buy the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED - now, when it is EOL? (the price is attractive...)
Not at all. Many of my cameras were bought EOL. If you get a great deal go for it.

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not at all. Many of my cameras were bought EOL. If you get a great deal go for it.
I believe I should not expect any software improvements within the IVS/AI - if there are some at the future (and offcourse other improvements/fixes)?
Or rather IVS/AI/Facedetection improvements (which are more important for me) are not part of a firmware update?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe I should not expect any software improvements within the IVS/AI - if there are some at the future (and offcourse other improvements/fixes)?
Or rather IVS/AI/Facedetection improvements (which are more important for me) are not part of a firmware update?
IVS is working just fine at the current firmware levels. No need to worry about on going firmwares if your network is properly secured.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IVS is working just fine at the current firmware levels. No need to worry about on going firmwares if your network is properly secured.
It's all about not allowing your Camera Internet access...Hacking Problems Solved...
I do allow them to connect to my NTP (Time) Server running on the pfSense Router (Port 123) to keep them all time synced:

1670970926785.png

Hey, I wanted to share I found P2P Enabled under Network/Access Platform, guess this happened when I upgraded firmware to 20220818
I must have missed it somehow, since my CAMs don't have Internet access it showed Offline:

1670971616964.png

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's all about not allowing your Camera Internet access...Hacking Problems Solved...
I do allow them to connect to my NTP (Time) Server running on the pfSense Router (Port 123) to keep them all time synced:

View attachment 148123

Hey, I wanted to share I found P2P Enabled under Network/Access Platform, guess this happened when I upgraded firmware to 20220818
I must have missed it somehow, since my CAMs don't have Internet access it showed Offline:

View attachment 148124
Is it not recommend to use P2P?
I believe i use it since i connect remotely to my Dahua recorder via DMSS (android app from Dahua).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe i use it since i connect remotely to my Dahua recorder via DMSS (android app from Dahua).
I personally would not use it since you are connecting to a cloud on the Internet. I cannot speak for what cloud service Dahua uses. Are you coming into your network via a local VPN?

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I personally would not use it since you are connecting to a cloud on the Internet. I cannot speak for what cloud service Dahua uses. Are you coming into your network via a local VPN?
I'm not using vpn, though recommend for security reason, as i read in the link looney2ns mentioned here before.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this will help a bit. What many here do for remote access to their Camera feeds is come into the network via a local VPN (Not a VPN service). A VPN Server needs to be setup on your Router or a device/box that can run the Server (ex. Raspberry Pi). I use OpenVPN, WireGuard is a popular one too.

On my Android phone I run the VPN Client:

1670976489907.png

It connects to my home VPN Server, then I launch a browser and connect to my Blue Iris Box (On it's on Subnet) and access my Camera Feeds. Blue Iris is running their Web Server UI3:

1670976695176.png

VPN access should work the similar with your Dahua NVR. There is help here from those who have NVRs...

HTH

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a varifocal PC-T5442T-ZE turret camera from Andy in July (the box says it is manufactured in November 2021), and it has the following firmware:

System Version V2.820.15OG004.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-29
WEB Version V3.2.1.1082162
ONVIF Version 20.06(V2.9.0.979397)
Algorithm Version 1.0.3
Security Baseline Version V2.1

It works OK, but it triggers a lot of false alarms in the IVS mode (Intrusion & Tripwire) when IR leds are on, and it is snowing. However, the sensitivity must be kept at maximum in order not to miss detections. I have also seen that after an event it triggered, and a human / a vehicle has disappeared from the scene, the bounding box of the object is still visible in the Live view, and the camera tries to track the object that exists no more. Sometimes the bounding box is red, cyan or yellow (what do these colors mean?). The "tracked" bounding box may trigger further events, up to tens of minutes after the real object has disappeared from the scene.

Is the August 2022 firmware safe to install in the device? What changes have been made since the July 2021 firmware? Can I install the firmware without taking the camera down from its mounting position? If I understood correctly, the camera should be reset to "Factory default" at first, and after that the new firmware is uploaded. Does it matter which browser I use to perform the upgrade?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a varifocal PC-T5442T-ZE turret camera from Andy in July (the box says it is manufactured in November 2021), and it has the following firmware:

System Version V2.820.15OG004.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-29
WEB Version V3.2.1.1082162
ONVIF Version 20.06(V2.9.0.979397)
Algorithm Version 1.0.3
Security Baseline Version V2.1

It works OK, but it triggers a lot of false alarms in the IVS mode (Intrusion & Tripwire) when IR leds are on, and it is snowing. However, the sensitivity must be kept at maximum in order not to miss detections. I have also seen that after an event it triggered, and a human / a vehicle has disappeared from the scene, the bounding box of the object is still visible in the Live view, and the camera tries to track the object that exists no more. Sometimes the bounding box is red, cyan or yellow (what do these colors mean?). The "tracked" bounding box may trigger further events, up to tens of minutes after the real object has disappeared from the scene.

Is the August 2022 firmware safe to install in the device? What changes have been made since the July 2021 firmware? Can I install the firmware without taking the camera down from its mounting position? If I understood correctly, the camera should be reset to "Factory default" at first, and after that the new firmware is uploaded. Does it matter which browser I use to perform the upgrade?
Most of us do not experience snow triggering the camera AI for human and vehicle detection. I have several of these cams, all on different firmware (including the version you are running) and I do not experience this.

Are you running the camera on default/auto settings or have you adjusted the setting like shutter speed, brightness, etc to your field of view?

Have you done the global config?

Do you have smart plan with IVS turned on for human and/or vehicle checked?

Do you have Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection turned off?

Should you decide to update, it is best to factory reset 3 times, install firmware, and factory reset 3 more times.

It is best to use Internet Explorer for this process. Not Chrome or Edge with the IE tab, but plain ole IE.

You can factory reset from within the camera GUI and do not need to take the camera down.

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of us do not experience snow triggering the camera AI for human and vehicle detection. I have several of these cams, all on different firmware (including the version you are running) and I do not experience this.

Are you running the camera on default/auto settings or have you adjusted the setting like shutter speed, brightness, etc to your field of view?

Have you done the global config?

Do you have smart plan with IVS turned on for human and/or vehicle checked?

Do you have Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection turned off?

Should you decide to update, it is best to factory reset 3 times, install firmware, and factory reset 3 more times.

It is best to use Internet Explorer for this process. Not Chrome or Edge with the IE tab, but plain ole IE.

You can factory reset from within the camera GUI and do not need to take the camera down.
I use Shutter Priority at around 15 ms maximum exposure. I am very happy with the image and video quality at the moment. Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection are both disabled, and the Anti-DIstrub feature is enabled in the IVS Global Setup (IVS is turned on for humans and vehicles). If it is not snowing, the daily events are captured smoothly (excluding the bounding box issue I explained earlier, which happens rather often regardless of it is snows or not).

kammi

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded the camera, everything seems to work fine. Time will tell, whether the number of the false alarms decreases.

In the firmware version V2.840.15OG00D.0.R, Build Date: 2022-08-18, how do Global IVS sensitivity and IVS Rule sensitivity play together?

Last edited:

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys

The Smart IR firmware with SMD 3.0 V2.8 2022 Aug Version has been released. The update is mainly for Smart IR, New Security Baseline function, highly recommend to update, esp the 4K models.

This firmware is working great with the help of @Wildcat_1 , has big improvement on the 4K model day and night pics.

IPC-T5442T-ZE
IPC-T5842T-ZE 4K
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPC-T5842TM-SE-S2 4k
IPC-T5241TM-AS
IPC-B5442E-ZE
IPC-B5442E-Z4E
IPC-B5842E-ZE 4K
IPC-B5842E-Z4E 4K
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV
IPC-D5442E-ZE
IPC-D5442E-Z4E
IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
IPC-HFW5241E-ZE
IPC-HFW5241E-Z5E
IPC-HDPW5442GP-Z
IPC-HFW5241T-AS-PV
IPC-HFW5541TP-AS-PV
IPC-HDW5541HP-AS-PV

Can refer to the our amazon shop for camera details.

Hi, just want to be sure;
This firmware is from
I have a dahua XVR. I've just bought the ~5442 IR model (still in the box). It is for business use.
I have no other networking devices there except of the router and the smartphone which is connected to the cellular network - not to my wifi - which is usually turned off.
I just become to understand the security risks of ip cameras in general and in particular to Dahua and Hikvision which their products were banned by the FCC.
I wonder whether to replace this ip camera with an inferior analog camera in order to avoid ip cameras risks (i will still have my xvr which is also need to secured). I understand that ip cameras are more vulnerable in many ways.
What do you think (about replacing it)?

- Also, it is claimed that there is a chip inside these devices which allowing the camera to breach to wifi networks in its environment - i wonder wheather it is true?

Another Question; i currently use DMSS app (android) and Smart pss at home to connect the recorder remotely.
I believe that i use UPnP for this, since i haven't configured the router with any specific settings for this.
I have though no other devices connected (include wifi which is usually turned off - except from my xvr, an ip cam and the router itself).
Is it still recommended to disable this protocol (UPnP)?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
- Also, it is claimed that there is a chip inside these devices which allowing the camera to breach to wifi networks in its environment - i wonder wheather it is true?
Where are you seeing this? Never heard that even as a rumor. I have seen some bad behaviors by various cams including Dahua but not in any recent firmware versions or the 5442 specifically. The ban, to my knowledge, wasn't based on any particular identified threat; rather, a more general concern with use of such devices at sensitive and other Federal facilities.

Any connected device is going to have more potential security risks than otherwise. There are ways to minimize that by blocking and segregating the cams/devices from the outside and the rest of your network. Need to manage the potential risk and balance the benefits I suppose. They definitely are not a good thing to have exposed to the outside world.

I don't use DMSS or SPSS so don't know it well but likely via P2P. Or if you have uPNP turned on at your router a port could be opened without you doing so intentionally.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR isolates your cameras on a different IP address range.

Unless you take the same steps, the NVR is still talking to the internet and has the same breaches and vulnerabilities as a camera connected to the internet.

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR isolates your cameras on a different IP address range.

Unless you take the same steps, the NVR is still talking to the internet and has the same breaches and vulnerabilities as a camera connected to the internet.
Thanks. My xvr doesn't have rj45 input ports for the cameras. I should use my router ports, hence the cams will share my router's network ips.
What do you mean by "unless you take the same step" - which steps - using a different network addresses?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where are you seeing this? Never heard that even as a rumor. I have seen some bad behaviors by various cams including Dahua but not in any recent firmware versions or the 5442 specifically. The ban, to my knowledge, wasn't based on any particular identified threat; rather, a more general concern with use of such devices at sensitive and other Federal facilities.

Any connected device is going to have more potential security risks than otherwise. There are ways to minimize that by blocking and segregating the cams/devices from the outside and the rest of your network. Need to manage the potential risk and balance the benefits I suppose. They definitely are not a good thing to have exposed to the outside world.

I don't use DMSS or SPSS so don't know it well but likely via P2P. Or if you have uPNP turned on at your router a port could be opened without you doing so intentionally.
Sorry, i didn't refer to 5442 specifically, but to ip camera in general and the ban which i've mentioned fir these brands.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, i didn't refer to 5442 specifically, but to ip camera in general and the ban which i've mentioned fir these brands.
The "ban" means nothing unless you are purchasing and installing in a government facility...

And the ban doesn't address the real issue and that is the issue of allowing IoTs like cameras touch the internet.

It is common knowledge that EVERY camera manufacturer firmware has been hacked, including high-end Axis.

Even NDAA compliant Verkada was hacked and 150,000 cameras in private companies, along with prisons and public school systems were part of it, which would be government funded..

It is why we recommend DO NOT LET YOUR CAMERAS OR NVR TOUCH THE INTERNET. You isolate them via VLAN or dual NIC. Do not set the system up with P2P or UPnP or scan some QR code.

I repeat, do not let your cameras touch the internet and you are fine.

In reality, since police departments have partnered with Ring to gain access to Ring video that is cloud based under the name of public safety, there is probably a much more risk of the enemy gaining access to stuff than thru the Dahua and Hikvision products that can be isolated from the internet....

Or any manufacturer that has cloud based services that require that internet connection or their device doesn't work.