IPC-HFW1831E No Image and Weird Behavior

netager

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a nice setup from Andy that consists of 4 IPC-HFW1831E and 52xx (I think) NVR. I tested all cameras when received and they worked great. I installed 3 out 4 cameras and they were rock solid. The 4th camera was in storage for over a year.
I decided to add it to the system... Plugged in, all green light, same IP as before, no image. Tried different port, same result. Tried to copy codec info from working camera to this one and got an error: "Failed to save config" or something like that...
I get and error when trying to Refresh that camera on the Encode tab...

So I tried the physical reset button. It worked. Connected to the PC, 192.168.1.108 works. Initialized, logged in. ConfigTool sees camera, too. Can't make video work anywhere...

Another weird observation... In PoE tab on the NVR pull around 5-6 watts, this camera is stable at 3 and never changes...

What can I do to troubleshoot this? What else can I try?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

netager

n3wb
Reaction score
Unplug cam from NVR.
Delete cam from NVR.
Reboot NVR.
Reset cam to factory defaults.
Do NOT initialize the cam.
Plug cam back in.
Wait, let the NVR find it and add it automatically.
Can take up to 5 minutes or more.

More info here: ***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch | IP Cam Talk
So it worked as expected, except no image again...
It is supposed to be Port 3. I tried Port 5 with the same result. Other cameras work fine. I tried 3 different factory made patch cables...
Camera seems to be fine in all NVR tabs except no image. After I try to Refresh or Copy Encode settings from another camera it drops network. Low power consumption comparing to other cameras...
Camera worked fine before, pulled from climate controlled storage and here we go... Cameras and NVR were never connected to Internet, never updated.

Anything else I can try?

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
did you go thru the reset procedure, and let the NVR assign the address? If you ran PC configuration steps to ....108....your messing it up.

netager

n3wb
Reaction score
did you go thru the reset procedure, and let the NVR assign the address? If you ran PC configuration steps to ....108....your messing it up.
I did not Initialize in ConfigTool. I just connected to confirm that default IP is .108. I left it just as it was in the screenshot. I didn't access camera's WebGUI.
Connected camera to Port 3 and popped up in the bottom table in about 2-3 minutes by itself. And that's how it worked before, but I was getting an image...

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a few of the 1831E in service. This is off topic, but I would recommend leaving on the 2.622 firmware. For the 1831E's I updated to 2.8x, the camera bitrate runs about 2.5 times higher than whatever I set it to. Many here recommend if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I found other information on other threads indicate the chip in this camera was of Dahua's own design, and was too weak SoC.
I just wanted to let you know to be cautious on that solution, since updating the firmware MAY add to your issues. The one camera I left on 2.622 works fine and as expected. Once you go to 2.8x series firmware, you cannot reflash back to 2.6x.

I don't see where if you had tried diagnosing the camera itself, outside of being hooked to the NVR. I would make sure you have a known working camera before adding to the NVR. You can always default it again, then go to the NVR.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll risk the wrath of the forum and actually make one more recommendation from personal experience and best practices found on this site. I'll hazard a guess this is a newer experience for you. This is why I recommended checking the camera first before adding to the NVR.
I had a whole system at first, and found that a much easier way to go was to get a POE switch. Set up all your cameras individually, but thru the camera. Having your cameras with a standard IP address, rather than the NVR subnet, makes it much easier to diagnose and fix problems. Many years ago, I had put the NVR for recording duties only.
I know it's counter-intuative to have a POE NVR and have someone suggest getting a POE switch, but I was where you are some years back, and you came to the right place to learn from other people's mistakes.
Besides, I owe this site about 10,800 more helpful posts before I'm anywhere near even in how these people helped me or read my non-value added BS posts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll risk the wrath of the forum and actually make one more recommendation from personal experience and best practices found on this site. I'll hazard a guess this is a newer experience for you. This is why I recommended checking the camera first before adding to the NVR.
I had a whole system at first, and found that a much easier way to go was to get a POE switch. Set up all your cameras individually, but thru the camera. Having your cameras with a standard IP address, rather than the NVR subnet, makes it much easier to diagnose and fix problems. Many years ago, I had put the NVR for recording duties only.
I know it's counter-intuative to have a POE NVR and have someone suggest getting a POE switch, but I was where you are some years back, and you came to the right place to learn from other people's mistakes.
Besides, I owe this site about 10,800 more helpful posts before I'm anywhere near even in how these people helped me or read my non-value added BS posts.
One of the first things that usually seems to go is the POE of the NVR, so we probably have more here than you realize that use a POE switch with a POE NVR!