IPC-HDW5831R-ZE (2018) vs DH-IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S2 (2021) - 2018 camera wins in image quality

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua DVR won’t take anything bigger than 10TB, so will order 2 of those
Yes although I've reported that to them before :) Depending on your system (NAS, NVR, NVR platform) max your drives, you won't be sorry especially with special application cams + higher res in your overall solution deployment

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s definitely not my network. My other 4k cams have no issue with stuttering. Even when plugged into the same cable. It’s a short run from the switch, which is a good switch with good cat 6 Ethernet. Even the color 4k cam looks worse than the 2018 for daytime images and video. The 2018 cam can’t be beat for a general purpose cam. It produces better quality video that doesn’t stutter. I’m very disappointed with every single cam I’ve tried other other than the 2018 cam, except the nighttime color 4k which is amazing at night but mediocre in the daytime

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s definitely not my network. My other 4k cams have no issue with stuttering. Even when plugged into the same cable. It’s a short run from the switch, which is a good switch with good cat 6 Ethernet. Even the color 4k cam looks worse than the 2018 for daytime images and video. The 2018 cam can’t be beat for a general purpose cam. It produces better quality video that doesn’t stutter. I’m very disappointed with every single cam I’ve tried other other than the 2018 cam, except the nighttime color 4k which is amazing at night but mediocre in the daytime
.Just be careful of number of platforms you have accessing that camera at the same time as other processing actions as I mentioned. HA, NAS etc etc that if accessing these cams, can hit that point. You may also want to look at testing to the cam for things like packet loss and response times both under and not under load to see if anything else is going on there. As mentioned, cannot reproduce this across a number of cams on different infrastructures unless I introduce ways to throttle or bottleneck it. If you were seeing this on recordings then that would be a different concern as mentioned before.

In terms of you being happier with the 2018 over 'every single other cam', I think then for you and your situation you've got your answer, go for it and enjoy but as I mentioned above just be cautious to the fact of an older unit, FW support etc etc. Lastly as myself and others mentioned, I wouldn't write off the new 4K's and there are more that will be coming so definitely watch out as I and others test them and report back. Good luck !

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I don’t use an nvr and they stutter when I use smart pss to view them with nothing else accessing it. I’m actively wanting a newer model so I’ll keep trying them as they come out.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I don’t use an nvr and they stutter when I use smart pss to view them with nothing else accessing it. I’m actively wanting a newer model so I’ll keep trying them as they come out.
No problem. I will continue to do comparisons to other cams as new ones come out that I test so feel free to keep an eye out as I put new and old through their paces. As always if you need any assistance just DM

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just following up. Collected my findings and recommendations and sent those to the Dahua dev team.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've moved this cam to the back of my house and upgraded the firmware. The anti aliasing is a little weird but overall seems to look pretty good. I'm going to test it out here for awhile and see how things go.

1652067731704.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've moved this cam to the back of my house and upgraded the firmware. The anti aliasing is a little weird but overall seems to look pretty good. I'm going to test it out here for awhile and see how things go.

View attachment 127590
Hopefully you tried the latest FW. As I mentioned in the other thread, Dahua was able to implement a number of the recommendations I put forward but there are still some things I want to see in the future that they are still working on.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far it seems awesome! It's staying in color so far even though it's pretty dark out...

1652068655404.png

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 where do I get the latest firmwar? I realized mine is the latest from the Dahua website, which was newer from when you tweaked the cam. I have V2.840.0000000.13.R, Build Date: 2022-01-10

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 where do I get the latest firmwar? I realized mine is the latest from the Dahua website, which was newer from when you tweaked the cam. I have V2.840.0000000.13.R, Build Date: 2022-01-10
Yes the SmartIR is still being added which is a key I mentioned to Dahua for release so should be soon but try the link above for 4/14 with my initial fixes and recommendations in place. As I mentioned above. still some further changes needed per my feedback but will keep people updated as I get an update on those. Just be aware SmartIR still needing to be added before final release etc

Last edited:

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on the latest linked above... it's now completely dark outside and this cam is staying full color, simply amazing! Looking very good! I can't wait to see what the daytime view looks like tomorrow with the new firmware.

1652071043055.png

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Btw, for the anti aliasing, this seems to be an artifact of SmartPSS and NOT the camera. I think SmartPSS is scaling the live stream in a way that makes the AA look really bad. If I open the DAV or jpeg files, they look fine.