IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an outdoor pergola. I'd like the camera kind of hidden in the corner (arrow). I could go lower on the beam with flat mount, but was wanting to avoid being near the light.

Trying to keep it stealth as possible.... like the Unifi nano 5ac on the right.

1642457194934.jpeg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mount the
PFA130-E
to the board of your choice. Then mount cam to that junction box.
First, ALWAYS test a proposed location for a minimum of 24hrs, using a 2x4x8', 5gal bucket, rocks for ballast as a temp mounting rig.
Prior to permanent mounting of the cam.
What looks good on paper doesn't always pan out.
You don't want IR reflecting back into the lens.

If you expect to get useable face id's, don't mount a cam any higher than 8', lower is better.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I probably need to test that inside mount idea. There might be IR reflection off the sides. I don't have the nano online yet, so its going to have to be a very long cat 5 cable.

Its 8 foot to the top of the pergola, so a bit lower should be good.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could cut a piece of 2x8, treated lumber, with 45 degree miter cuts on the end, say 14 or 16 inches long. Stain it to match, screw it between the rater end and projection and mount the PFA130 to that. I'd also paint the camera to match, or as close to a match as possible.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could cut a piece of 2x8, treated lumber, with 45 degree miter cuts on the end, say 14 or 16 inches long. Stain it to match, screw it between the rater end and projection and mount the PFA130 to that. I'd also paint the camera to match, or as close to a match as possible.
That's kind of what I was thinking, although you explained it much better. I have several of these cams I need to paint. BUT everytime I go to the hardware store to find some matching spray paint the shelves are empty... FJB

Reaction score
Are these still one of the best turret option cameras available?

How much are they these days and what is Empire's alibaba store address for these?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Great thank you!

I will probably end up with these turrets, as the price is in my budget of affordability, and I know from my prior research these are very high-quality and loaded with features. But just curious, is there a newer camera model out that is a big upgrade over this one, without a big price tag lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great thank you!

I will probably end up with these turrets, as the price is in my budget of affordability, and I know from my prior research these are very high-quality and loaded with features. But just curious, is there a newer camera model out that is a big upgrade over this one, without a big price tag lol
It is still the top of the line for most folks here. There is an 8MP model, the 4K/X, but it is not available in varifocal.

Reaction score
It is still the top of the line for most folks here. There is an 8MP model, the 4K/X, but it is not available in varifocal.
Hmm I thought these were 4k, are they 1080p then?

How much are the 8mp models with 4k?

When is the 4k models with varifocal lenses supposed to come out?

Do these have 2 way microphones?

The turrets themselves aren't motorized right, just the varifocal lens?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera is the 4MP and the turret has a built-in mic but no speaker. The varifocal is motorized and is controlled thru the camera GUI.

These are the links to the respective 4K models (4k is 8MP)

Varifocal

Fixed lens with two way

Reaction score
The turrets themselves aren't motorized right, just the varifocal lens?
I think he is talking about the difference between a PTZ and a varifocal. So, yes, the 'turrets' are not motorized. You cannot move them like a PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) cam with software controls. Only the lens is 'motorized'. It is used to adjust the FOV and is meant to be set for a specific FOV and then left there. It is not meant to be used as a zoom.

Reaction score
This camera is the 4MP and the turret has a built-in mic but no speaker. The varifocal is motorized and is controlled thru the camera GUI.

These are the links to the respective 4K models (4k is 8MP)

Varifocal

Fixed lens with two way
Ok I think I want to stick with a turret from all of my research

I think for a few more dollars it's worth upgrading to the 4k version of this camera. I really want the best video quality I can get.

Is there a thread on here for that particular 4k turret?

When I see "two-way" listed, is that in reference to the microphone & speaker combo?

Is that not a common thing?

Are there any 4k turrets with 2-way?

I think he is talking about the difference between a PTZ and a varifocal. So, yes, the 'turrets' are not motorized. You cannot move them like a PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) cam with software controls. Only the lens is 'motorized'. It is used to adjust the FOV and is meant to be set for a specific FOV and then left there. It is not meant to be used as a zoom.
Ok so varifocal for set and forget to get the best clarity for a single image

But why can't you use the zoom feature of these motorized varifocal lenses on the fly if you need to actually zoom into something? I guess without the Pan/tilt option, your FOV will be extremely limited once you start to zoom in a lot. So I can see that as a downside.

But to not use them at all as a regular zoom, why not?

PTZ for motorized turrets and actual zoom - is there any downside to these over a varifocal? I assume they're just more expensive?

Is there a 4k PTZ turret that has all of the other bells/whistles/upgrades that the camera this thread is about has?

If so, is there also one with a 2-way option?

Reaction score
But why can't you use the zoom feature of these motorized varifocal lenses on the fly if you need to actually zoom into something? I guess without the Pan/tilt option, your FOV will be extremely limited once you start to zoom in a lot. So I can see that as a downside.

But to not use them at all as a regular zoom, why not?
The PTZ motors are designed to be used as a PTZ, lots of use. The varifocal motor is not designed to be used as a zoom feature and will not last long if used as one. Some people do use it that way, and you could too. But do not complain if it fails.

Reaction score
The PTZ motors are designed to be used as a PTZ, lots of use. The varifocal motor is not designed to be used as a zoom feature and will not last long if used as one. Some people do use it that way, and you could too. But do not complain if it fails.
Got it, makes sense.

Are all PTZ turrets always a lot bigger like these:

Seems if this is the 4k PTZ option, it's probably well out of my price range right now. @ $3500 for a 2020 model

But will highly consider these down the line if they're really good.

I think it makes sense to stick with the Dahua brand since they seem to be of very high quality

So it seems I'm back to regular varifocal 4k turrets.

Is there a thread for a 4k dahua turret that was linked to in the previous post on this site?

I just found these, while they're not 4k, they're PTZ in a much normal and lower profile housing like the Dahuas in this thread:

Does Dahua make a low profile PTZ like this in 4k/8mp?

Seems PTZ aren't all $3500 and are reasonably affordable?

Last edited: