IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I have a very good capture rate but I spent many months dialing it in. I probably looked a bit strange driving my car up the road and leaving it there while I went back to adjust the focus in the day and night but it paid off. Too bad I live on a quiet road though - for LPR sakes, but good that it's quiet in other ways. My friends think I'm crazy with all my cams but it's more a fun hobby for me.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L

A bit late to this thread but saw the reference to the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. I have the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E (pretty much the same cam) and I'm using it as an LPR camera. It's mounted nearly straight on, 9ft high and 85ft from the target area. I use the full 12x zoom to get my plate captures. At this distance I think I am covering a road width about 1.5 lanes wide or so. I'm on a narrow side road (I get about 90% of the road width) so it's matches perfect for my needs.
Thank you bradner. Sound like your setup will be close to mine. I was almost ready to install my 5241 when I was reminded by my wife that I promised to paint the house first :) lol so as soon as the paint drys I hope to mount mine...Looking forward to capping me some plates...:)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s a perfect location! most have some kind of angle to deal with and/or too much distance for the onboard IR. I’m guessing you get 95% + good plate captures.

it’s possible to get good nighttime captures (daytime is much easier) with 150+ ft and 30+ degree angles with the Z12, but I’m willing to bet most are hit and miss if they’re being honest.
Speaking of angles, is it better to mount the bullet straight out (where the mount is vertical) or L-Shaped (Where the mount is at top horizontal and the Cam vertical)?

My camera will be focused over my driveway pointing to the left.

1600030001790.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I try and mount straight out which gives the most distance from the wall /eave if that’s the location.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I try and mount straight out which gives the most distance from the wall /eave if that’s the location.
Thank you, so I pulled out the mount and it is much bigger than I thought. May need to add some HardiePlank.

1600035797924.png

sumur1au

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the black one will have black PFA130-E, this kind of black color cams we will sell in North America Only. Will release it at the end of this month if no delay.
Hi Andy,

Does this mean you won't ship these outside of North America (NA) ? Is there any reason why it is NA only?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry buddy, I think Dahua is too interested in USA right now. Election right around the corner :lol:

Hi Andy,

Does this mean you won't ship these outside of North America (NA) ? Is there any reason why it is NA only?

danioj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As part of my setup process for these cameras, I am going to update them to the latest published FW.

Can anyone tell me, of the 3 FW options in the following link (assuming I am in the right spot), what the differences are and how I choose which one to flash my IPC with?

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to discern which one to use.

Thanks in advance

D.

danioj

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless there is a problem that your current FW has and a new FW will fix, folks here will say not to update the FW. If it is not broken, don't fix it.
That is good advice and one I often follow. Especially with devices such as these that are isolated on their own VLAN and security patching is not an issue.

However, the review thread makes reference to having to make manual adjustments to the camera settings for optimal performance (I’m paraphrasing I admit) while waiting for updated firmware.

My current firmware is dated May this year and discussions on the need for updates are later than that. I don’t know what is broken in this instance so, rather than have to find out through my own investigation (especially where the issues might be subtle) it seems appropriate to update to what is considered the latest stable version.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for this interesting read.

I am in the processing of getting 5 of these DH-IPC-HDW5442T-ZE.

Last edited: