IPC-Color4K-X - IVS is often mistaking deer for people

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a bunch of IPC-Color4K-X cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY . I like them a lot. However, the IVS Intrusion Box rules are regularly giving me "false positives" for deer. My Intrusion Boxes are set for Enter/Exit/Appear and intended to alert me when people are on my property. They detect people well, but they also detect too many deer. Currently, All the IVS sensitivity settings are mostly all 5 (which is default), except for one camera which has IVS sensitivity at 4 (still gets false positives).

Maybe the firmware needs to be tweaked yet for things like this...? @Wildcat_1 I'm currently running the latest firmware "Color4K-X 20210908.bin" which still has some bugs needing to get fixed relating to the shutter/exposure getting reset if you make IVS rules.

I know I can set MIN SIZES, but then I risk not detecting people, since the deer can be pretty big and almost human-sized, I don't think the MIN SIZES will address the issue. So the only thing I can think of left to do is drop sensitivity from 5 to 3 (4 hasn't helped) and see if that helps, but I'm afraid its also going to have an negative effect on detecting people and I -need- to be able to detect people with 99% consistency.

Here are 6 examples just from the last week: (all show the IVS lines/rules as well)

(links removed)
6 Deer on 1-11-22 at 427pm

1 Deer 1-10-22 at 257am

1 Deer on 1-15-22 at 658am

2 Deer on 1-10-22 at 321pm

2 Deer on 1-11-22 at 425pm

4 Deer 1-8-22 at 428pm

Comments/thoughts welcome...

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
i think you expect too much.

to my knowledge human detection only works in a perfect enviroment. there can be problems with mounting, fov, light, contrast to background...

you need more cpu power and a good model to filter this. Maybe blueiris deepstack can do it.

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometime it make clouds into people when I use it as a sky camera. It
is just fun trying to figure what the camera thinks it sees.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try on this latest new fw,it has some improvement on the IVS. Can test on 1 camera to test firstly.
Is there a list of the things Fixed or Improved on this firmware? I noticed you don't have this posted anywhere yet (it's not posted to the EmpireTech Andy forum) ... is this publicly available yet? I'm wondering what's all been updated.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a list of the things Fixed or Improved on this firmware? I noticed you don't have this posted anywhere yet (it's not posted to the EmpireTech Andy forum) ... is this publicly available yet? I'm wondering what's all been updated.
An official release from dahua, but we still not make a further design on the fw. IVS has some good improvement.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An official release from dahua, but we still not make a further design on the fw. IVS has some good improvement.
After upgrading to this newest release firmware from Nov 2021 on the IPC-Color4K-X , should I still also do a DEFAULT on the settings as usual?

1642299952113.png

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upgraded to the newest firmware you provided.

The IPC-Color4K-X was on this firmware:

1642302804912.png

Now it's on this firmware:

1642302841307.png

Please note, the bug still exists where if you add an IVS rule -after-having already made adjustments to shutter/exposure, the shutter/exposure settings that you had previously put in will be lost. This seems to happen on pretty much every firmware for this camera.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I kind of wish mine will pick up wildlife like that with IVS on. Don't mind that.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got another false positive today for deer triggering Human IVS when using Intrusion boxes. This time is happened when using the new firmware code that that EmpireAndy provided above in this thread.

For now, I'm lower sensitivity from 5 to 4, and I added a min size on the rule too (something like 230x900 or so), to see if that helps.

This is what tripped i the IVS, when the deer left the box. (assuming it thought it was a person based on seeing two legs from behind instead of 4 legs)

1642735714383.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think your analysis is correct, especially at the outer reaches of the field of view. Now if you could force the deer to go left and right only LOL.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll just put out a sign that clarify all foot traffic only goes North and South only, a wrong-way sign . :thumb: I also made the IVS box a little smaller, so the intrusion box line doesn't go as far towards the top of the image, which should mean any deer/people inside/crossing the IVS box should be a little bigger too, hopefully bigger enough for the analytics to actually see its a deer and not a person .

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IVS rules can be an exercise in creativity and patience. Mostly head banging .. but let's be kind here. All I can suggest is to keep messing around with different rules, and defining areas to see what works.

In my particular case use, I am in the opposite boat, and want only to capture wildlife with my color4K-X.

What I've done is set up the maximum amount of rules, or all sorts, just to experiment to see what work. I can choose, or un-choose them as I wish, and then the next day I can log into the camera, look under 'Playback', and then use the filter to specify which IVS rule I am interested in seeing results in.

Let me put it this way, do not use the 'Abandoned Object' IVS rule if you don't want to capture wildlife, because it works brilliantly! :)

Keep working it. I'm interested to see if this puzzle can be solved adequately for you.