IP cameras

Chrisponty

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys I hope this is the right place to post this.
I am a total newbie to installing CCTV. I volunteer at a bird sanctuary in the UK, about a month ago somebody broke in and shot dead two of our eagles.
We have raised some cash through the kind generosity of the public and would like to fit CCTV cameras.
The site is not very large but there a few big trees so a wired connection can be difficult.
I am looking at setting up a wireless system but we have no internet connection on site. We have a 16 channel DVR already.
So here's some questions
1, would a ip system work without internet access
2, what system would I need.
3, I am looking to setup 16 cameras, can anyone give me some advice please.

Cheers in advance. I hope I can setup a system there

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys I hope this is the right place to post this.
I am a total newbie to installing CCTV. I volunteer at a bird sanctuary in the UK, about a month ago somebody broke in and shot dead two of our eagles.
We have raised some cash through the kind generosity of the public and would like to fit CCTV cameras.
The site is not very large but there a few big trees so a wired connection can be difficult.
I am looking at setting up a wireless system but we have no internet connection on site. We have a 16 channel DVR already.
So here's some questions
1, would a ip system work without internet access
2, what system would I need.
3, I am looking to setup 16 cameras, can anyone give me some advice please.

Cheers in advance. I hope I can setup a system there
Hi Chrisponty,

Welcome to the forum, very sad to hear such news, as it seems completely mindless and is very shocking that someone would do that.
Two eagles shot dead in Ebbw Vale sanctuary - BBC News

I am new to security cameras, so there certainly must be people here who have more experience and knowledge to be more helpful.

I have written some notes during my learning process which maybe useful, please feel free to read them:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Wireless cameras - wifi and battery operated? The consumer products in this category are unreliable ( Arlo Pro and the like ).

If you need a reliable system your main choice will be a wired system.

1) would a ip system work without internet access?
A: Yes, so long as you are not purchasing consumer grade products tied to cloud service ( example Arlo / Arlo Pro, .. )
If you do not need to view the video outside of your location you do not need internet access.

2) what system would I need?
A: Complex issue to give a quick answer to, a lot depends on what you need. Day time video? Night time? Do you need to ID suspects? What is available for you to purchase, as well as from who - as a UK based institution you may have some restrictions which we as individuals do not. Budgetary issues also.

That said, a number of people here really like the Dahua Starlight line of cameras for night time view - if you need something like that which is at a fair price you can read the forum posts on the various model - note they are POE wired cameras. Also note Dahua has a recent ePOE set of cameras and NVRs which will allow you longer distances for the ethernet wires. ( ePOE from Dahua is a recent announcement )

There are other brands which may also be good for you, and a lot of people who are fans of different brands who would be happy to promote those brands to you.

3) I am looking to setup 16 cameras, can anyone give me some advice please?
A: Start by doing a site survey and determining the possible locations using a camera on a pole to take pictures to determine the view. Ideally you want to do this with the actual camera you are planning to use, otherwise the FOV and quality of the picture is different. Also note with the better quality security cameras you will have a lot of adjustments which you can make to give you different quality images. ( contrast, sharpness, light adjustments, .. )

Do pay attention to the length of the cable if you plan to go POE/ePOE - as there are limits to the distance before you have to add additional equipment to carry the signals further.

Do take a lot at various other parts of this forum, as the chat section may not receive as much attention.

Good luck and I hope this helps.