IP Camera that keeps recording to micro sd, even without Wifi, and can be view from Home Assistant?

darthrune

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have a unique problem and some inability to frame the issue properly.

I want a camera that records continuous video of to a local storage (specifically a microsd), with playback that can be viewed on Home Assistant.
Requirements:
Camera keeps recording to local storage even with no internet, and PC is off.
All the recorded video can be played back on Home Assistant, and then can be downloaded on PC.

I understand my access to the playback will only be available when internet is working and view through Home Assistant.

Current camera brands I'm looking at: Reolink. I know it has local storage to microsd, but am confused on whether playback and saving the recording can only be done on Reolink's own app or can I add the reolink camera to home assistant and have it act as my own native "app" for playback viewing?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More info needed:
  • Indoor or outdoor camera?
  • Will the camera be Ethernet-connected (hardwired) ?
When you say "I understand my access to the playback will only be available when internet is working and view through Home Assistant" by "Internet" do you mean your residence's Wi-Fi?

Lastly, avoid anything branded "Reolink" except their excellent video doorbell. The cameras have undersized sensors for the resolution and their firmware attempts to compensate by altering shutter speed and aperture which produces poor images at night, especially if there is any motion.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us have our cameras isolated from the internet and can view the SD card just fine without internet.